Say Hello to Microsoft.com’s New Look

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
When Microsoft makes a change, they go whole hog. The Metro effect is filtering down through much of Microsoft’s new software and now to its website homepage. All hail the Metro influence. :D

It hits on all the major design requirements for a Metro-themed page: big, sweeping images, blocks of colors with white text standing on top, and of course, rectangles to form its other UI components.

Sombody shoot microsoft and kill it before it turns into a zombie that make crap stuff like Apple does.

Aw, I like it! It looks like it sorta merges into the OS when you open it in a metro browser.

and I can see that within the next few years if things keep regressing this way In will lose all interest in computers also.

Wow thats awesome! They need to apply it to other things people love. TVs ,game consoles and atms!!!

This happened quite a while ago, but yeah: this look makes other websites look ugly and generic. All hail Metro indeed.

I played around with Windows 8. It's not remotely as bad as people are making it out to be.

All I see is a waste of half of the screen real estate on my computer.

I don't believe ease of use dictates the need to cram every pixel with information.

Seriously..why is anyone saying anything positive about this? Do people just like 1998 ugly?

We have computers capable of processing transparency, shadows, shading and millions of colors..yet people are celebrating a 16 bit color palette that makes the eyes bleed and the elimination of transparency, shadow and basically anything modern.

I hate people.:mad:

Seriously..why is anyone saying anything positive about this? Do people just like 1998 ugly?

We have computers capable of processing transparency, shadows, shading and millions of colors..yet people are celebrating a 16 bit color palette that makes the eyes bleed and the elimination of transparency, shadow and basically anything modern.

I hate people.:mad:

Imagine that, people having a different opinion than you on various things. The universe is such a mesmerizing place to exist in.

I really like the responsive design elements. GJ Microsoft. You can check out it by shrinking the webpage and watching how the elements re-adjust to the screensize. I am just getting into responsive web design myself as a web developer.

That's it, I am not upgrading my desktop machine to microsoft.com. :)
Seriously, can't the browser tell the web server if the client has touch or not, and build the layout accordingly?
I agree the current design of web sites sucks for touch, but going the other extreme is almost as bad for non-touch users.

If the browser doesn't communicate the touch capability to the server, it looks like a huge flaw.
If the server has this information but does not make use of it, it's a bad design unless you care only about touch users.

Imagine that, people having a different opinion than you on various things. The universe is such a mesmerizing place to exist in.

^This. That rager is an idiot. I think it looks great, and if you don't like it, go use something else. Fucking whiny little bitches in here. Good work, Microsoft. Looks nice to me.

MetroUI is like the Borg. They assimilate everything until there is nothing left. It must be stopped at all costs.

I think metro looks nice on a website. I think it would be really nice on a tablet. I don't think I want it on my home PC.

It's kind of how I like android, but I have never wished that my home PC ran it.

I think metro looks nice on a website. I think it would be really nice on a tablet. I don't think I want it on my home PC.

It's kind of how I like android, but I have never wished that my home PC ran it.

What if your home PC was a giant tablet?

What if your home PC was a giant tablet?

Well I did say I think it would be nice on tablets, giant or otherwise.

I'm not sure if I would like a giant touch tablet for my home PC. I like my wrist wrest for my keyboard enough that I'm not sure if I'd want to be reaching for the screen most of the day minority report style. I've never wished I had a touch screen for my PC. I've yet to go, "man I really wish I could reach for and touch that X to close this window instead of clicking on it". I really like how my hands are not in the way of the screen while using a keyboard and mouse.

I will say that the current windows UI isn't best suited for touch in my opinion. It can work, but when I've used it with touch screens it seems weird. Most recently I have used VNC on a tablet to control a PC and while it works it feels awkward.

Well I did say I think it would be nice on tablets, giant or otherwise.

I'm not sure if I would like a giant touch tablet for my home PC. I like my wrist wrest for my keyboard enough that I'm not sure if I'd want to be reaching for the screen most of the day minority report style. I've never wished I had a touch screen for my PC. I've yet to go, "man I really wish I could reach for and touch that X to close this window instead of clicking on it". I really like how my hands are not in the way of the screen while using a keyboard and mouse.

You say that now but what about... touch enabled pr0n!!!!!!!:)

425 Errors, 412 warning(s) when validating as HTML5... nuff said. Come back when Microsoft can make a standards compliant website. Oh wait, hahhahahhahaha. Going with a simple as fuck design and still can't do it right. What is wrong with the Internet?

As for the design. Almost every website on the planet finally embraces subtle rounded edges and nice gradients and now boom Microsoft goes all square and palleted.

I've never wished I had a touch screen for my PC. I've yet to go, "man I really wish I could reach for and touch that X to close this window instead of clicking on it". I really like how my hands are not in the way of the screen while using a keyboard and mouse.

I'm as big of a Tablet PC fan and user there is and I've never wished for what you just described either.

I will say that the current windows UI isn't best suited for touch in my opinion. It can work, but when I've used it with touch screens it seems weird. Most recently I have used VNC on a tablet to control a PC and while it works it feels awkward.

And this is the main point of Windows 8, it brings balance to the OS so that it's not completely tied down to mice and keyboards.

I cannot remember the last time I was on Microsoft.com and I'm not sorry I didn't check in sooner. Srsly, it is like a really cluttered GMail interface.

And this is the main point of Windows 8, it brings balance to the OS so that it's not completely tied down to mice and keyboards.

Dude... It's too far touch and horrid for mice, with no options to return balance and we (the sane) all know it. Thats the entire problem. :p

Back