Happy Birthday Google+!!

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google, why no party and fanfare for your social network as your baby turns one year old? In the midst of Google’s I/O developer conference, there was barely a passing remark on reaching the milestone. Google+ may not have lived up to the initial hype against Internet giant Facebook, but it does have 150 Million monthly users and that’s not a number to be easily dismissed.

"Google+ is the home base for all things that connect Google. It's the glue that holds it together. But for numbers, it is more like RC Cola, not Pepsi, as it relates to competing with Coke."

150 million users a month, or 150 million users who check it monthly? :p

I use mine daily. It's no facebook & for that matter may never be. Thus I have a completely different set of friends. The friends I have on Google+ are almost all tech geeks & not actual personal friends. G+ works very well if you use circles. What I don't think most people realize is that eventually you won't barely be able to avoid G+. They are integrating it with Youtube, Gmail, Maps, & even Search. If you want to comment on something on a Google based service, it's going to end up having G+ involved.

What I don't think most people realize is that eventually you won't barely be able to avoid G+. They are integrating it with Youtube, Gmail, Maps, & even Search. If you want to comment on something on a Google based service, it's going to end up having G+ involved.

I won't have any trouble avoiding it part of the all-seeing Eye of Google. :) There are working alternatives to all those services and not having Google+ probably won't prevent someone who's willing to partly submit to the Evil Master Google from making use of the actual functionality.

Only reason I notice G+, is every time I flash a new ROM on my phone I get asked if I want to setup a damn account on 1st boot.

I won't have any trouble avoiding it part of the all-seeing Eye of Google. There are working alternatives to all those services and not having Google+ probably won't prevent someone who's willing to partly submit to the Evil Master Google from making use of the actual functionality.

I'm certain that you could avoid using their features, but the thing is that Google is just so darn good at what they do and so well integrated. I also think that they are much more trustworthy than some of the other services.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Actually, I just stated it merely as a fact. Personally, I enjoy being on G+ more because there seem to be less emotional posts to scroll past. But I understand that girls enjoy those more & thus is probably why G+ isn't as well frequented.

I'm certain that you could avoid using their features, but the thing is that Google is just so darn good at what they do and so well integrated. I also think that they are much more trustworthy than some of the other services.

Well, the only services they offer to me that I'd consider using are search, maps, and mail. Yahoo and Bing can handle search and maps pretty well. Sanriotown covers me for e-mail and I use an old Hotmail account as a backup.

On a trust note, it's really not that I don't trust Google. They're pretty good about the whole full disclosure thing. It's just that they're so pervasive (NOT PERVERTED YOU DORKS!) that I really prefer going around them or at least spreading out what I do just because it makes me sleep better at night.

Eh, who am I kidding? Google is _really_ creepy and I have zero trust in them.

I use mine daily. It's no facebook & for that matter may never be. Thus I have a completely different set of friends. The friends I have on Google+ are almost all tech geeks & not actual personal friends. G+ works very well if you use circles. What I don't think most people realize is that eventually you won't barely be able to avoid G+. They are integrating it with Youtube, Gmail, Maps, & even Search. If you want to comment on something on a Google based service, it's going to end up having G+ involved.

Same reasons I prefer G+ to Facebook. Facebook is mostly friends and acquaintances posting banal, uninteresting bits of their lives. G+ is mostly professionals posting content I am interested in reading.

Same reasons I prefer G+ to Facebook. Facebook is mostly friends and acquaintances posting banal, uninteresting bits of their lives. G+ is mostly professionals posting content I am interested in reading.

For me, I've found all the interesting professional content on web pages. I'm glad the internet had time to mature before Facebook and G+ came along otherwise so much wouldn't even be searchable.

My wife attended a large Google hosted photowalk with an open bar afterwords in Austin on Saturday. Must have been more events then just that one.

Back