Cannibal Zombie Satellite Program Comes to Life

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today this cannibal zombie satellite program is harvesting satellite parts in space. Tomorrow, the robots will be harvesting your parts. I bet these things run on bath salts. :D

Last year, Darpa launched a program, Phoenix, to harvest satellite parts. Now, the agency’s convening with researchers and already looking for a prime sat candidate to pick apart.

Comments

Even space is now green... reduce, reuse, recycle. ;-) It is a cool project.

What about the possibility of espionage? Say a country we're warring against purposely deposits a "candidate satellite" that gets hooked up with a new satlet that is now part of an array. Couldn't programming send signals back to the originating country?

How long before the robot harvester goes rogue and starts throwing satellites down to Earth?

Pure genius. DARPA has got to be the most out-of-the-box thinkers in the whole of the U.S. Govt.

For the tooling piece, I think they should use a solid-state laser. I don't think mechanical cutting or drilling is a good idea. Filings / shavings of metal could cause problems for the bodies in proximity.

How long before the robot harvester goes rogue and starts throwing satellites down to Earth?

It'd be more fun it it started to self-replicate and create a giant network of evil satellites that give us crappy GPS data so we end up at McDonalds instead of Burger King or vice versa. I wouldn't put it past a DARPA robot harvester satellite to be sinister in that way.

Back