Nexus 7 Tablet Hands-On

7-inch device, 1280 x 800 IPS ,400 nits of brightness, NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L quad-core processor running at 1.2GHz. 1GB of RAM, $199 for the 8GB model, 16GB for $249.

Looking pretty damn sweet to me!

I am thoroughly enjoying my Touchpad though, been running the latest Cyogenmod 9 nightly builds, what a amazing job they're doing! Working great!

7-inch device, 1280 x 800 IPS ,400 nits of brightness, NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L quad-core processor running at 1.2GHz. 1GB of RAM, $199 for the 8GB model, 16GB for $249.

Looking pretty damn sweet to me!

I am thoroughly enjoying my Touchpad though, been running the latest Cyogenmod 9 nightly builds, what a amazing job they're doing! Working great!

I have a touchpad as well. I only use it for web browsing and netflix though... I'm waiting for something like the surface pro before i buy any android or iOS tablet

No micro SD.

For those of us who would use it as a portable media player, thats kind of a deal breaker. Other than that, great price on great hardware.

Is it possible to plug in a USB adapter into the charging port and access flash drives? I know some tablets have USB ports so I'm wondering if this will have the same functionality.

Is it possible to plug in a USB adapter into the charging port and access flash drives? I know some tablets have USB ports so I'm wondering if this will have the same functionality.

Depends if USB-OTG is supported by the hardware & kernel. My guess is that this will be a highly likely feature through the stock ROM or the modding community.

Why would google put expansion slots, replaceable battery and all that when their goal is to lure you with price. You don't really need those, the cloud is so much better anyways hehe

I ain't gonna bite.

No 10" version

I think Android is probably done on larger and more expensive tablets for the most part with the arrival of Windows 8/RT and that Google is targeting Android on smaller and cheaper devices where you won't see the iPad of Windows 8/RT.

7 inches and its only 1280x800.

I don't know about you but if my phone's screen is 1280x720 in 4.74 inches then that 7 inch screen is going to look like garbage in comparison.

I don't know about you but if my phone's screen is 1280x720 in 4.74 inches then that 7 inch screen is going to look like garbage in comparison.

Are you kidding? 1280x800 is excellent for a 7 inch screen. My Playbook is 1024x600 and I've never had an issue with it.

No expandability is a deal breaker. I could still deal with the nexus phone not having an sd card but I really need that on a tablet. I have a lot of stuff split among several cards and it was nice being able to swap between them rather than deleting and uploading to the tablet each time. Right now with the nexus phone, I have to upload videos into it because the Wifi can't stream 720p, and when I'm about to leave the house, I have to delete them to make room for the mp3s. This would especially be annoying if I had to do that for the tablet.

More than twice the dpi of a 30inch lcd, what's to balk at son?

Could'nt it be that 1280x720 is an overkill on 4.74" screen and is just right on 7" screen.

That's some pretty damn good specs for the money.

Agreed. And I was impressed with how responsive this thing looks. When you see cheaper tablets at Best Buy, etc they are always fairly laggy. I could see actually picking one of these up if I were in the market for a tablet.

If they got a stable build of CM9 on this and it went on sale for $150 I would involuntarily pull the trigger. Self control would fail me...

Man it sucks to not have editing on the front page, but I think a dual core with high IPC like Qualcomm Krait seems better suited to something like this, I predict it would give better battery life. Imagine something like the MSM8960A with the new Adreno 320, something like that would be perfect.

But then again I'm not complaining. :)

Could'nt it be that 1280x720 is an overkill on 4.74" screen and is just right on 7" screen.

I just feel that they can do better. Hell, the new iPad "Retina" display is 2048x1536 in what, 10 inches? Looks brilliant. Makes the average android tablet look awful.

I'm spoiled by those new displays I guess.

I just feel that they can do better. Hell, the new iPad "Retina" display is 2048x1536 in what, 10 inches? Looks brilliant. Makes the average android tablet look awful.

The new iPad is also 2.5 times more expensive and a considerably larger display.

The new iPad is also $500, versus $200. Some consolations had to be made. ;)

Man it sucks to not have editing on the front page, but I think a dual core with high IPC like Qualcomm Krait seems better suited to something like this, I predict it would give better battery life. Imagine something like the MSM8960A with the new Adreno 320, something like that would be perfect.

But then again I'm not complaining. :)

I would like to see the S4 Pro/Plus used in a 10" 1920x1080+ tablet. Hmm... Nexus 10-inch tablet with WiFi, LTE, and DC-HSPA.

I would like to see the S4 Pro/Plus used in a 10" 1920x1080+ tablet. Hmm... Nexus 10-inch tablet with WiFi, LTE, and DC-HSPA.

And then you're getting into a $500 tablet and that's just not the market were Android is going I think. Between the iPad and Windows 8/RT I just don't see a much of future in Android devices above $300.

Awesome hardware but no expansion, I'll also have to pass. I have a Galaxy Nexus but already looking to sell it because I can hardly and I do mean HARDLY put anything on it.

Too bad they didn't include expansion. I'll have to look for something else.

Awesome hardware but no expansion, I'll also have to pass. I have a Galaxy Nexus but already looking to sell it because I can hardly and I do mean HARDLY put anything on it.

Too bad they didn't include expansion. I'll have to look for something else.

That was really annoying. This thing can play more videos than the transformer, but you can't cycle HD videos on it on any practical level. And the degradation i'm getting when using Wifi-N indoors means i can't stream videos unless i'm right next to the router.

The wild thing is the performance you get. 200 bucks for something that has a cutting edge mobile quad core? Well true it probably doesn't translate a whole lot in the real world but makes you wonder why even cell phones go for 600 bucks. I think Google just took out the Kindle Fire, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, PS Vita, etc., in one fell swoop.

I was excited. First, I realized there was no expansion slot. Then I just watched the video, and it literally looks like a 7" version of my Galaxy Nexus (which will also be running Jelly Bean soon).

The new iPad is also $500, versus $200. Some consolations had to be made. ;)

I named it purely as an example, it was the first thing that came to mind.

Obviously $200 is a steal for what you get here, I'm not arguing price.

If they got a stable build of CM9 on this and it went on sale for $150 I would involuntarily pull the trigger. Self control would fail me...

It's a Nexus device, which means it will almost certainly have an unlockable bootloader and support for custom ROMs in AOSP itself. Although you wouldn't want to put CM9 on it (that's ICS after all), you'll want CM10 (or whatever they're going to call it)

Its at a great price but tablets are still a luxury device but when win 8 comes out that will all change since you can actually be productive without taking a huge reduction in speed.

1280 x 800 on a 7 inch screen is absolutely gorgeous what are you talking about? IMO 1280x720 on a phone is overkill. I have played with my brother galaxy nexus and just cant tell any difference unless i smash it right up to my face.

That was really annoying. This thing can play more videos than the transformer, but you can't cycle HD videos on it on any practical level. And the degradation i'm getting when using Wifi-N indoors means i can't stream videos unless i'm right next to the router.
This argument is tired. 16 Gb is a ton if storage for Hd .mkv's. I have 7 hours of HD videos on my Nexus and still have room left for more.

This argument is tired. 16 Gb is a ton if storage for Hd .mkv's. I have 7 hours of HD videos on my Nexus and still have room left for more.

I don't cycle as much on a Phone, that's why it can get away with it. But right now, until i get my transformer back, it's doubling for my media playback and its memory is lacking. I have one memory card holding TV series with detailed plot that you'll need to watch continiously. I have another card holding another TV series with stand alone episodes that you can watch intermittently (good for when you're in traffic passing the time).

And i must say that with the Transformer, the cable is pretty much permanently plugged in to the wall socket and strictly used as a charger while i update my media files from the memory card. And even with all those media files being cycled, there's 5gigs worth of music videos permanently stored onboard the tablet with enough breathing room incase i decide to load in more on short notice.

And FYI you can't actually use the entire 16 gigs, between the OS, the Apps/Games, and the fact that you need to set aside a gig to keep error warnings from popping up. I only get about 8 or 9 gigs for my MP3's and videos. On the tablet, i only put in the ebooks and tutorials as well as some comic books (about 1.5gigs worth of mangas at a time, tutorial videos are around 2Gigs at a time). I don't mess with that anymore and just put my videos on memory cards and swap them as needed.

You could say "But you can't watch all that in one sitting!" but then again, you don't have to pick and choose which files goes in. Just put the entire series (Which can take up 10gigs for a single season) on a memory card and stick that in as needed.

Please check how how much total space it says on your Nexus. Because i assure you, it's nowhere near 16Gigs.

No thank you. As nice as a device that this is, I will stick with the Windows 8 tablets myself. (I want to be able to get work done on it, not just surf the web, go on facebook and read some books.) This will be excellent competition for the Kindle Fire though.

No micro SD.

For those of us who would use it as a portable media player, thats kind of a deal breaker. Other than that, great price on great hardware.

^this! I loved everything about it until this point killed it for me. Definite deal breaker.

Back