Gunmen Ram Van Into Microsoft Headquarters

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although any situation involving gunmen and flaming vans is a very serious subject, you can't help but laugh at these idiots. Seriously, who attacks Microsoft's HQ?

Gunmen rammed a van packed with gas canisters into Microsoft's Greek headquarters in Athens and then set the vehicle on fire, causing damage but no injuries, police said on Wednesday. At least two people wielding pistols and a machine gun kept security guards away as they carried out the attack at about 3:45 a.m. local time on Wednesday (9:45 p.m. ET Tuesday), police said.

They were just re-enacting their favorite scene from Max Payne 3. Although from the wrong POV.

from article said:
Arson attacks against banks, foreign firms and local politicians have become more frequent in Greece in recent years as the country battles soaring unemployment and struggles through a recession deepened by austerity policies imposed by foreign lenders.

They've been attacking a bunch of other places it seems. But I don't see the group's logic attacking Microsoft, a huge revenue and income generator - something that Greece badly needs.

120627-microsoft001-2a.photoblog600.jpg

A security guard talks on the telephone after an attack on Microsoft's Greek headquarters in the north of Athens on Wednesday.

Why even waste the time to type such a stupid caption?

I figure its more like Greece doesn't have any absurd patent laws to abuse so Apple had to resort to this.

Had to be some Steve Jobs revolutionaries. Bet they used Iphones to coordinate the attack.

Had to be some Steve Jobs revolutionaries. Bet they used Iphones to coordinate the attack.

If they would have used iPhones, the attack would have been delayed for weeks because Siri would have given them nonsense answers since it can't handle anything but English spoken with a midwestern accent.

Ya, its siri, its using subliminal messaging to make people attack Microsoft. I think it would go something like this

apple fandboy "siri is today my birthday"

siri " FIRE BOMB MICROSOFT"

apple fanboy" wait what!"

siri " yes apple fanboy, today is your birthday.

apple fanboy (thinks to himself) I always enjoy my birthday, hmm but I also enjoy... FIRE BOMBING MICROSOFT!!... wait were did that come from.

And the seed is planted.

I'm starting to think that Greek people some sort of intellectual disabilities or something.

1.) After years of running up debt you cant afford your country is in trouble.
2.) Blame the people that lent you the money instead of yourself.
3.) Blow up Microsoft???

This is the equivalent of running up debt on your credit card, then blaming the bank for giving you a credit card, and blowing up the ice cream shop around the corner to prove your point...

Cause blowing up large american companies will definitely convince them to bring more jobs to your country...

Zarathustra[H];1038877716 said:
I'm starting to think that Greek people some sort of intellectual disabilities or something.

3.) Blow up Microsoft???

This is the equivalent of running up debt on your credit card, then blaming the bank for giving you a credit card, and blowing up the ice cream shop around the corner to prove your point...

Cause blowing up large american companies will definitely convince them to bring more jobs to your country...

Apparently, the Greek people don't all think and act as one.

Ya, its siri, its using subliminal messaging to make people attack Microsoft. I think it would go something like this

apple fandboy "siri is today my birthday"

siri " FIRE BOMB MICROSOFT"

apple fanboy" wait what!"

siri " yes apple fanboy, today is your birthday.

apple fanboy (thinks to himself) I always enjoy my birthday, hmm but I also enjoy... FIRE BOMBING MICROSOFT!!... wait were did that come from.

And the seed is planted.

Apple started widespread brainwashing long before siri.

3.) Blow up Microsoft???

Chill, It's Greece. Gunmen will ram a van into building over a soccer match there.

Genius. Let the country's government income tax assessors run rampant with corruption and not assess income taxes for decades in lieu of personal bribes. Then watch as your country runs out of money, unemployment skyrockets as domestic-subsidized jobs vanish with the country's loss of money, and then attack foreign firms that supply jobs as if they had a major role in the country's down-turn.

I understand general frustration in times of hardship, but for the love of god, if you're going to do something rash, at least let it have a senseful message.

3.) Blow up Microsoft???

LOL...

Their brother works for a fire damage restoration service. That's a new $75K contract right there.

What's missed in all the "lulz" here is that when order starts to fall apart people start doing crazy stuff. They blew up Microsoft because they could. They didn't need a reason. When it's anarchy it becomes violence for violence's sake. Anyone remember the LA riots? Reginald Denny was beaten to near death because some black people wanted to beat up a white guy that had nothing to do with the police beating up Rodney King. A lot of Muslim Americans were assaulted following 9/11 that had absolutely no criminal record or extremist ties. People that took shelter in the Superdome during Katrina can tell horror stories over what happened in there. Give people an excuse to let their bad side out and they will. What happens in Greece isn't a Greek problem. It's a human nature problem. Look to the insanity there as a model of what happens when society crumbles. It can happen there, it can happen pretty much anywhere. There's not really that much funny about this.

Why even waste the time to type such a stupid caption?

Exactly. It's a big, "No Shit!".

Just caption it as: "The aftermath of the van that was on fire at Microsoft headquarters" or something along those lines.

What's missed in all the "lulz" here is that when order starts to fall apart people start doing crazy stuff. They blew up Microsoft because they could. They didn't need a reason. When it's anarchy it becomes violence for violence's sake. Anyone remember the LA riots? Reginald Denny was beaten to near death because some black people wanted to beat up a white guy that had nothing to do with the police beating up Rodney King. A lot of Muslim Americans were assaulted following 9/11 that had absolutely no criminal record or extremist ties. People that took shelter in the Superdome during Katrina can tell horror stories over what happened in there. Give people an excuse to let their bad side out and they will. What happens in Greece isn't a Greek problem. It's a human nature problem. Look to the insanity there as a model of what happens when society crumbles. It can happen there, it can happen pretty much anywhere. There's not really that much funny about this.

Thank you. Gunmen entered a building, ignited a van stocked with fuel, and caused destruction. No one died, so now it's a huge laugh. :rolleyes:

(in the voice of "in Soviet Russia")

We give Microsoft blue screen.

Except, when we look to Japan, we saw the absolute opposite. During the worst tsunami in recent history and what was rapidly turning into a nuclear catastrophe, they rose to the occasion and showed the world what is is like to be civil under pressure.

We knew New Orleans is a rowdy bohemian place, so it should come as no surprise that human nature showed its ugly side there when things went to shit.

I've never been to Greece, but judging by their irrational reactions there, I don't have very high regards for them either.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd like to hope that if something like this happened here in the North East we would be a lot more like Japan, than like Greece or New Orleans.

Zarathustra[H];1038878915 said:
Except, when we look to Japan, we saw the absolute opposite. During the worst tsunami in recent history and what was rapidly turning into a nuclear catastrophe, they rose to the occasion and showed the world what is is like to be civil under pressure.

We knew New Orleans is a rowdy bohemian place, so it should come as no surprise that human nature showed its ugly side there when things went to shit.

I've never been to Greece, but judging by their irrational reactions there, I don't have very high regards for them either.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd like to hope that if something like this happened here in the North East we would be a lot more like Japan, than like Greece or New Orleans.

I thought New Jersey was like this every day. What, you think you're better than me? ;)

Sure, cultural differences can add to the chaos in certain situations, but you need to look at the events and history leading up to stories like these.

Saying "it's because they're Greek" really explains nothing without context. The political climate int hat country has been a hotbed for much of the several decades. We can't just take a freeze frame from an incident like this and say "Greeks r gunna Greek".

I've lived in Seattle most of my life, and it is considered a safe and nice place to live... yet every protest we have ends up with a few revolutionary anarchists smashing in storefronts and inciting riot. Is it representative of our culture here? Not typically.

Back