24 Nabbed in US-led Cybercrime Finance Sting

HardOCP News

[H] News
How stupid would you feel if you got busted by the FBI this way? What kind of criminal mastermind falls for a trap like this? :eek:

At least 24 people were arrested in the United States and abroad in a US-led sting operation targeting cyber criminals buying and selling stolen credit card information, officials said Tuesday. "Operation Card Shop" targeted "sophisticated, highly organized cyber criminals involved in buying and selling stolen identities, exploited credit cards, counterfeit documents, and sophisticated hacking tools," FBI's assistant New York director-in-charge Janice Fedarcyk said.

It's not much but it's a start. Take everything they have and find all their bank accounts.

I guess I've given up all hope.

You'd think a story like this would make a person go, "Cool! Good job government!", but all I can think about is how the government themselves are bending us over backwards stealing our money to pay for shit that I'm sure 90% of people do not agree with like wars, bail outs, payoffs, etc that is all funded by taxes we pay.

I think taking from schools, health care, and killings millions is a tad bit more important that some cyber thieves...

Sigh...just really makes you think...

You'd think a story like this would make a person go, "Cool! Good job government!", but all I can think about is how the government themselves are bending us over backwards stealing our money to pay for shit that I'm sure 90% of people do not agree with like wars, bail outs, payoffs, etc that is all funded by taxes we pay.

Could probably spend way less if it wasn't on silly wasteful things like 10s of billions on new "stealth planes" while the classic "foes" have tech which makes it pointless, and the actual foes live in caves and are armed with sticks (and whatever the goverment gave them when they were bestest friends). Or $6b on new weird dark camoflage...for the desert... But then they spend $1.92 a year on NASA/science stuff...havent they played Civilization!?! :confused:

That reminds me of a buddy of mine who was a helicopter mechanic for the military. Costs them upwards of $250,000 to paint a Blackhawk helicopter in special "anti-radar" paint. Let me say that again. The government spends a quarter million dollars to paint a SINGLE helicopter with a anti-radar paint to use against an "enemy" who doesn't have radar............................

This is one of the 1000000's of reasons I've given up hope. Our government has essentially become useless to its citizens.

This is one of the 1000000's of reasons I've given up hope. Our government has essentially become useless to its citizens.

Well now you're just missing the point. The government isn't supposed to be useful for its citizens. People in government plan things in a way to ensure that they become more enriched and stay in power at the expense of those outside of government. The trick is figuring out whatever new line of BS they can feed people to keep the racket going.

That reminds me of a buddy of mine who was a helicopter mechanic for the military. Costs them upwards of $250,000 to paint a Blackhawk helicopter in special "anti-radar" paint. Let me say that again. The government spends a quarter million dollars to paint a SINGLE helicopter with a anti-radar paint to use against an "enemy" who doesn't have radar............................

they must play Battlefield! Keeps those SA-18 IGLAs off you!

...Wonder if they train against jet ramming...

I think taking from schools, health care, and killings millions is a tad bit more important that some cyber thieves...

Part of me says this is credit card companies fault for making such exploitable cards. I know they are popular - but still - Microsoft is responsible for the security of their OS, so why not credit card companies for their cards? They don't use our tax dollars to patch up the OS exploits that lead to shit like keyloggers.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, anyone have an opinion here?

It does make me go "Cool! Good job government!"

The rest of your post really makes me think some people will find any excuse to detract from anything when it suits their agenda.

I have to wonder, they prevented 205 million in losses, but how many people successfully used that forum and were not busted (used Tor etc?) Probably more than 205 million in losses worth, since those were the guys who knew a little about what they were doing. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I'm guessing they caused more losses than prevented.

Back