Facebook Forces Its Email Service On Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you use Facebook, check your info page, your e-mail has been changed.

Facebook silently inserted themselves into the path of formerly-direct unencrypted communications from people who want to email me. In other contexts, this is known as a Man In The Middle (MITM) attack. What on earth do they think they are playing at?

Oh hey, they did change it.

Oh well, people don't need my real email on there anyhow. :p

This idea of someone on facebook finding my direct email address and sending me an email on that as opposed to an internal FB PM is entirely new to me. To be honest, I DO NOT want people on facebook to know my direct email address. I'd be happiest if the FB crap stays contained within FB.

Then again, I don't really use FB for much of anything, so I don't see how this is really affecting me in the slightest. :)

It is not their fault. You created them. They will all turn into monsters, I tell you, eating up everything, until the Internet is under them. Then you will have to destroy them, and then the process will start over.:eek:

This idea of someone on facebook finding my direct email address and sending me an email on that as opposed to an internal FB PM is entirely new to me. To be honest, I DO NOT want people on facebook to know my direct email address. I'd be happiest if the FB crap stays contained within FB.

Then again, I don't really use FB for much of anything, so I don't see how this is really affecting me in the slightest. :)

Yeah. Honestly, it actually seems like it's making it MORE secure for your privacy with this change, instead of their usual less.

You do not own your profile data anyway, you are not FB "customers" advertisers are. You WILL put up with it for as long as you have a FB account you whiny little B'stardz! :p

I deleted my account two years ago. If I cannot control it, I do not want it. Sure you can change these settings, but they are not permanent. FB is a repeat offender with changing your settings and I do not waste my time changing crap back when somebody else keeps changing it "to protect my privacy" or some dumbass comment about not needing any secrets and sharing everything for social networking to work.

FB doesn't really care if you complain, there user base is still growing. What are you going to do, sue them? For what? It isn't your data. Stop paying? Uh, no membership fee anyway. The only thing you can really do it leave. Take your private info away from them and quit visiting their advertising supported pages.

OH! The depravity of it all!

/slap /slap

Your information is yours to give away freely. Once given FB to profit by it.

i can understand the "security" aspect of this.. but.. when they proceed to hide your regular email address, and the new [email protected] address doesn't forward to your personal email.. it is kind of annoying. i leave my email address visible, so that people can contact me if they need to. now, if they were to try, it would sit on facebook, languishing, rather than reaching my email..

I've always used a separate email address specifically for logging into my facebook account.

Meh, whatever, my facebook was previously attached to an email address that I regularly checked once every 2 years anyway :p

I have 4 levels of email addresses... work, for ya know, work... personal, for most legitimate communication... random crap, for forums and random things that want me to sign up which I check maybe a couple times a month on average... complete random crap, for stuff I really don't give a shit about and never check.

Facebook uses the last one :D

It's about time they raised the friend limit. It was so overdue.

But they also reset the customizations I had for my feed. Now all the idiots I had blocked are all over my feed. No big deal.

But the really big deal is their so called privacy settings. No matter what the hell you do, anyone on your friends list can see what comments you leave, what pictures you like, etc. What the fuck Facebook. How the hell is a man suppose to remain stealth. Ya bunch of assclowns.

i can understand the "security" aspect of this.. but.. when they proceed to hide your regular email address, and the new [email protected] address doesn't forward to your personal email.. it is kind of annoying. i leave my email address visible, so that people can contact me if they need to. now, if they were to try, it would sit on facebook, languishing, rather than reaching my email..

If someone only has access to my FB page, and no other forms of communication, then whatever they 'need' to tell me must not be that important.

This is the stupidest new item I've seen in a long time..... who friggin cares? The only shit that comes into that account ( i use a dummy account) is stupid facebook related spam..... to be quite honest.. they can keep it.

How the hell is a man suppose to remain stealth.

You can start by avoiding services like Facebook, avoid buying property, having credit cards, etc.

Maybe go live in a shack hidden in some remote forest with a copy of Al Gore's book :)

You can start by avoiding services like Facebook, avoid buying property, having credit cards, etc.

Maybe go live in a shack hidden in some remote forest with a copy of Al Gore's book :)

You obviously misunderstood.

On that note though I use an alias for most internet activities.

Facebook is becoming quite the little Commie organization now, isn't it?

Last thing I want is to socially interact with half-ass friends. I never got into Myspace and the same goes for Facebook.

Besides, I kinda like when people seem mystified when I tell them I don't have a Facebook account.

The new in-thing / cool thing to do is not have a Facebook account.

I don't need Facebook to share important moments with friends and family. I just call them. The old fashioned way.

Bit by bit, they are surely pissing off all of their users.

I wouldn't say pissing off their users. It certainly didn't piss me off. It made me roll my eyes and take all of 5 seconds to change it back to my Gmail address, but it didn't piss me off.

If things like this pisses you off, perhaps you need to go outside more :-P

Because relaying email inserts a man in the middle. I guaran-fucking-tee you that Facebook logs every email they relay from your @facebook.com address to your real address.

If you're willing to trade one breach of privacy for another, then knock yourself out I guess.

Because relaying email inserts a man in the middle. I guaran-fucking-tee you that Facebook logs every email they relay from your @facebook.com address to your real address.

If you're willing to trade one breach of privacy for another, then knock yourself out I guess.

If someone is having emails with sensitive & private information being sent to a Facebook email address, they are doing something terribly wrong.

They could always just message you on Facebook if they're using Facebook to find your email, anyway...

Just sayin'.

I get your point, though. It's pretty weird for Facebook to change it without telling anyone.

If someone is having emails with sensitive & private information being sent to a Facebook email address, they are doing something terribly wrong.

Nobody except us checks for things like this, as evidenced by this rollout.

Facebook made this change because they banked on 99% of their users copy/pasting the address without giving it a second thought. Which is exactly how it's going down.

Incidentally, the late Orwell's birthday was yesterday. He wrong 1984. If you read about totalitarianism it goes back to the idea of Facebook, which goes back to the timeline, this email idea, and everything FB does.

Incidentally, the late Orwell's birthday was yesterday. He wrong 1984. If you read about totalitarianism it goes back to the idea of Facebook, which goes back to the timeline, this email idea, and everything FB does.

I didn't realize Facebook was the state.

Isn't this what George Bush did with terrorist phone calls that got everyone upset? Good thing we can trust major corporations to be better behaved than governments with that private info.

Read up on what happens--Facebook is not relaying anything to your "real" address, other than perhaps a site-notification that you have a message waiting for you in your facebook inbox. Conversely, if someone sends you an email to your "real" email address, facebook has nothing to do with it. It cannot log any content sent to your "real" email address.

This is basically just an internal in-site email system, and FB changed everyone's default contact to the @facebook account. If someone clicks on your "primary" email address to contact you, they'll just be sending an email to '[email protected]' and the message is handled by facebook, and you check it from within your facebook account. There is no relaying of messages between your various email addresses you may have associated with your facebook account. Now, facebook might look at any/all of the content in a message sent to your new @facebook email, but this has absolutely no effect or impact on your external email addresses and messages sent to them.

My email has not been changed... or maybe I don't understand. I'm new to FB and it's been good overall

My email has not been changed... or maybe I don't understand. I'm new to FB and it's been good overall

ahhhh, I see... they just added my FB email... I had it all my contact info set to hidden so that's why I didn't notice any change.

Anyways, I don't see what the big deal is, guess I'm too new to appreciate the kool-kid angst.

Anyways, I don't see what the big deal is, guess I'm too new to appreciate the kool-kid angst.

Nah, just like originally being on Facebook was the cool, hipster thing, now it's become the cool, hipster thing to bash Facebook. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize Facebook was the state.

If you don't think that the state has a giant straw stuck in facebook's and google's neck sucking out whatever information they want about anybody they want I got some sea side property to sell you in Arizona.

Riker_straw.jpg

If you don't think that the state has a giant straw stuck in facebook's and google's neck sucking out whatever information they want about anybody they want I got some sea side property to sell you in Arizona.

People are free to not use Facebook with very few drawbacks. To equate it to state totalitarianism shows ignorance towards what totalitarianism is, and a lack of respect for the people who have to deal with actual totalitarianism.

I don't use FB very often but when I do I certainly don't want FB intercepting my e-mails. I don't use FB to send e-mails nor will I ever have anyone send e-mails to a FB address.

Not enough. They should have made it the primary email, and make it the only one, so I can delete my other email on it.

Back