Apple Quietly Pulls Claims of Virus Immunity

HardOCP News

[H] News
Okay, you have to admit, this is pretty damn funny. Thanks to "twelfth" for the link to the laugh. ;)

Apple has removed a statement from its messages on its website that Mac operating system X (OS X) isn't susceptible to viruses. Apple removed the previous statement "It doesn't get PC viruses" and replaced it with "It's built to be safe," and "Safeguard your data. By doing nothing" with "Safety. Built in."

Wanna make a bet someone sued Apple over this claim?

I can imagine the hacker groups reaction to the "before" statement.

It doesn't get PC viruses? O'RLY!

Seems to be as they get more popular, this sort of thing is going to happen. I've haven't even thought about it on Win 7 or OSX for forever. Common sense goes a long way! ;)

Sad news today. A major portion of the reality distortion field has been dismanteled and re-purposed for a new project Apple has been working on, Operation Logic. ;)

Sad news today. A major portion of the reality distortion field has been dismanteled and re-purposed for a new project Apple has been working on, Operation Logic. ;)

That is the most terrible DAC ever. To quote Mr. T: "I pity the fool who uses that shit". As we know, he seldom swears, but crap like this drives him too it.

Even the most delusional of Apple kool-aid drinkers are finally coming to terms with the reality that the almighty Mac is indeed mortal. I can't remember the last time I heard one parrot the "Macs can't get viruses like a PC can" mantra in a while.

Well, it is true. It doesn't get PC viruses. It gets Mac viruses. What's the deal?

;-)

I think it's hilarious that it is apparently someone's job to refresh the webpage over and over again looking for conspiracy changes so they can make some lame news up.

How long until Steve starts posting youtube videos of dogs wearing hats as news?

I thought PC = Personal Computer? You mean it doesnt? Or Mac's are not Personal Computers?

People argue that point all the time. Apparently, Apple doesn't. They have commercials of Mac vs. PC. So, Apple isn't really personal anymore. :(

"PC" has just come to mean "Windows PC", over time. Used to be something like IBM-PC. The original meaning has been lost, and arguing semantics about it is fairly pointless.

"PC" in Apple parlance is "Windows". So, when Apple says OS X doesn't get "PC" viruses, they're right.

"PC" has just come to mean "Windows PC", over time. Used to be something like IBM-PC. The original meaning has been lost, and arguing semantics about it is fairly pointless.

Oh no there is definitely a point. The point is that its retarded to differentiate between the 2 as if they are somehow 2 separate things.

Oh no there is definitely a point. The point is that its retarded to differentiate between the 2 as if they are somehow 2 separate things.

Okay, your opinion I guess. Clearly the vast majority of people and companies, including Apple, do not share your opinion, though.

Okay, your opinion I guess. Clearly the vast majority of people and companies, including Apple, do not share your opinion, though.

Or you could just say Apple does not share my opinion, which is quite obvious since that is part of their marketing gimmick.

I think saying the "vast majority" is a little over the top though.

I think Apple makes people stupider. I attempted to remote help this one person. Asked her to download teamviewer quick support. She didn't know how to download it or didn't know where the file went. When she finally found it, she didn't know how to run it (dmg, it mounts etc..). 20 minutes later we were able to connect. She said her printer wasn't working because the printer icon didn't stay in the dock. I explained that the printer icon should only appear if she has print jobs in the queue. She also asked me why the Print & Fax icon in system preference is black and white. How am I supposed to answer that?

Minutes later, she contact me again stating that her picture changed. She of course was referring to her wallpaper. She didn't know how to click on the subfolders in the to look for her wallpaper she wanted. So I asked her to restart teamviewer again. Guess what she did, yep. She went to download like the 4th copy of the same program and of course mounted it.

Another novice user, similar experience on the pc was able to run and launch teamviewer within 2 minutes.

I don't think people that uses the mac really think their product is superior because they never had problems. At the same token, they aren't as flexible as a PC. There are far more products on the PC than a mac. Recently it changed because of the mobile platform. Apple likes to hide all of that stuff because it will hurt their business.

Yeah. And?

It means Macs are PCs and playing semantics when the only difference is the OSX is a pointless endeavor.

That kind of mental gymnastics doesn't qualify as exercise.

(Submitter, btw.)

Or you could just say Apple does not share my opinion, which is quite obvious since that is part of their marketing gimmick.

I think saying the "vast majority" is a little over the top though.

I don't. Tell me, how many people do you know that refer to an Apple computer as a PC?

this thread is funny... if i get some hardware and put windows on it it's a pc, but if i have the same hardware running mac os, it's a mac...
since mac's are not pc's, if i get the same hardware and install linux it can't be either a pc or a mac, we need a new term here lol

can't believe apple pulled this off for so long, tricking fools into thinking they're invincible.

those marketing guys are good.

since mac's are not pc's, if i get the same hardware and install linux it can't be either a pc or a mac, we need a new term here lol
Macs are PCs, insofar as they're personal computers, as are personal computers running Linux. Apple just uses the terms "PC" and "Mac" to differentiate their products from everyone else's, which is just good business sense. It also affords them an opportunity to target Windows in their marketing in a way that doesn't make it seem like they're targeting Windows.

Of course it does not get PC viruses, it's not a personal computer. It's too expensive for a single person to buy one, it has to be a rich family, so it is a family computer. :D

But I think what they really meant is that it does not get windows viruses... which is true. Since it's not Windows. Windows computers don't get any Mac viruses either... which, I'm surprised there aren't more now days. Even IOS, I'm surprised is not a bigger attack ground now.

Macs are PCs, insofar as they're personal computers, as are personal computers running Linux. Apple just uses the terms "PC" and "Mac" to differentiate their products from everyone else's, which is just good business sense. It also affords them an opportunity to target Windows in their marketing in a way that doesn't make it seem like they're targeting Windows.

Unix, not Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

I always liked how clever that statement Macs do not get PC viruses was. Wonder why they changed it. Amazing how many people I had to explain to to.

Back