Wikipedia Founder Backs UK Student Wanted by US

HardOCP News

[H] News
Jimmy Wales opposes the extradition of the kid that was running TVShack.net? Well why didn't you say so? All proceedings will be halted immediately. :rolleyes:

Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales expressed support for Richard O'Dwyer, who was arrested at his university dorm in 2010 by British officers accompanied by agents from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. O'Dwyer's alleged crime was running a file-swapping website called TVShack.net, where users shared links to movies and television shows, many of them protected by copyright.

Please take a moment to read an appeal from Wikipedia's founder, Jimmy Wales.

Wales have a point. If we begin prosecuting people for posting links, it'll open a huge can of worm. Jimmy will do well to recruit the help of giants like Google who also provide links to anything and everything.

On the other hand, the difference between Google and TVShack is that TVShack deliberately advocate and actively promote copyright infringement, even if they don't actually have it. Perhaps instead of arresting them, law enforcement might want to recruit him and find out where he's getting his links from and who's hosting the shows.

I tried to go to tvshack.net to see if they link to hosting servers or torrents, but the site has already been seized by US law enforcement.

I hope the US loses this case. There are few villains harder to sympathize for than the MPAA, RIAA, and company. I hope they're the antagonists in Taken 2. Watching Liam Neeson kick the snot out of lobbyists would be hugely entertaining.

Afraid of another blackout and countless school children unable to complete their assignments.

What i realy dont get about this is under UK law this guy did NOTHING wrong. How can you live in one country and be mindfull of a law in another? Boggles my mind.

What i realy dont get about this is under UK law this guy did NOTHING wrong. How can you live in one country and be mindfull of a law in another? Boggles my mind.

I think it has to do with the product or IP belonging to American companies.

Our government would be outraged if some random country tried to extradite one of our citizens for a similar offense.

I'm not going to bother checking, but this doesn't seem extraditable to me.

Our government would be outraged if some random country tried to extradite one of our citizens for a similar offense.

I'm not going to bother checking, but this doesn't seem extraditable to me.

Are you kidding, if the right palms got greased and they could avoid public scrutiny our government would be shipping people out all willy-nilly.

My understanding is that the tv shack guy kept refusing takedown requests, from the lawyers, of the TV series owners, of the media that he was distributing. They took down his site domain name. He then put the site back up with a different name, and made some insulting comments to the US authorities on it.

On the Internet, all media is stored in files, all of those files are downloaded over links. Google gets thousands of takedown requests for those links every day.

Using the same logic, I can have my own country then make it illegal to be part of a terrorist organization, then detain the whole of the RIAA (they fit the profile of terrorists), and make them eat pussjello?

Doesn't doing this sort of stuff inadvertently call Wikipedia's neutrality into question?

Not really as it's him, not Wikipedia. Also they sided with reason before during the SOPA thing.

Well SOPA is kinda a different animal than this because it would have had an impact on Wikimedia's activities. So yeah, I can understand that.

I guess what I was getting at was that even if he's doing it personally, it becomes a "Wikipedia Founder Backs UK Student Wanted by US" thing which, no matter what, gets associated with Wikipedia even if it's not an intended effect.

So, i can see America will start sending citizens to other countries for trials there? Im sure US citizens are committing MANY 'crimes' in other countries with what they're doing on the internet (not just US citizens, but hey, were talking about the USA here)

Back