ASUS ROG Matrix HD 7970

Looks nice, but I hope Asus does one better and extends the twin-DVI layout to the rest of their upcoming cards.

DL DVI + 4 DP, awesome

Nope. You can only use three DP when the DVI port is in dual link mode. When all four DP are populated, the DVI ports are single link only.

If it weren't for this restriction I would have bought four of them. Instead I have gone with four 7970 Lightnings which have similar restrictions, but at least they are released and have an EK water block coming available for them. Something I doubt the Matrix will have as it's PCB and VRM's are different than the DCUII which EK already made a block for. So with the Matrix you are essentially limited to two Matrix cards in one computer.

Nope. You can only use three DP when the DVI port is in dual link mode. When all four DP are populated, the DVI ports are single link only.

If it weren't for this restriction I would have bought four of them. Instead I have gone with four 7970 Lightnings which have similar restrictions, but at least they are released and have an EK water block coming available for them. Something I doubt the Matrix will have as it's PCB and VRM's are different than the DCUII which EK already made a block for. So with the Matrix you are essentially limited to two Matrix cards in one computer.

only 1 dvi becomes single the other is always dual link. thats how it is on my dc2t's anyway. with the right board you can do 3.

my 3

http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6879&d=1331743668

Last edited:
I do wish that these things would release a bit closer to the originals, I admit. Its nice to see the GHz edition and more RAM boost the 7970 back on top, and I really like the Asus RoG Matrix edition cards, same as I like their DirectCUII and other enhanced cooling/spec variants etc... but does anyone know how far away we are from the next generation at this point? It often seems like the "best version", with aftermarket-cooling and enhancements etc... comes out relatively close to the next upgrade. Now, I thought it was great that the DirectCUII came out pretty quickly after the 7970 reference launch, but I can't help but feel they could have launched the Ghz edition upgrades and all this stuff a lot earlier; If I was buying in the 7000 series, I likely would have bought the DirectCUII and figured that was the best I was going to find for the generation.

This is a great card, but I'm not aware how "late in the game" this launch is going to produce a good value, especially for those already with a 7900 series card they bought earlier.

only 1 dvi becomes single the other is always dual link. thats how it is on my dc2t's anyway. with the right board you can do 3.

my 3

http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6879&d=1331743668

When you use the second DVI port in dual-link mode it disables the 4th Displayport. That is the issue and I confirmed the Matrix as identical outputs as the DCII:

ioports2.jpg

When you use the second DVI port in dual-link mode it disables the 4th Displayport. That is the issue and I confirmed the Matrix as identical outputs as the DCII:

ioports2.jpg

thats kinda what i said. :D

you said they were both single link

No I didn't. This is a direct quote of mine from above: "When all four DP are populated, the DVI ports are single link only." That statement is accurate.

I do wish that these things would release a bit closer to the originals, I admit. Its nice to see the GHz edition and more RAM boost the 7970 back on top, and I really like the Asus RoG Matrix edition cards, same as I like their DirectCUII and other enhanced cooling/spec variants etc... but does anyone know how far away we are from the next generation at this point? It often seems like the "best version", with aftermarket-cooling and enhancements etc... comes out relatively close to the next upgrade. Now, I thought it was great that the DirectCUII came out pretty quickly after the 7970 reference launch, but I can't help but feel they could have launched the Ghz edition upgrades and all this stuff a lot earlier; If I was buying in the 7000 series, I likely would have bought the DirectCUII and figured that was the best I was going to find for the generation.

This is a great card, but I'm not aware how "late in the game" this launch is going to produce a good value, especially for those already with a 7900 series card they bought earlier.
I agree completely the reason it took me until now to buy the lightning was because I was waiting for the toxic which still hasn't been released

No I didn't. This is a direct quote of mine from above: "When all four DP are populated, the DVI ports are single link only." That statement is accurate.

Looking at the chart your statement is false. "DVI ports", plural, indicates both dvi ports will be single link when all 4 DP ports are in use, but the chart shows only one of the DVI ports is shared. The other is always dual link and r3zn0r clarified your poor wording.

Anyways, that's pretty cool card. Five 2560x1600 monitors + one 1080p monitor or 6 1080p monitors off one video card is great. Those dual link DP active adapters are expensive though. Need to have 2560x1600 monitors with DP ports.

Last edited:
Back