Intel CTO on Innovation and Job Creation

HardOCP News

[H] News
Justin Rattner, Intel chief technology officer spoke about the importance of U.S. innovation to job creation, the economy and the future of U.S. competitiveness at the U.S. Innovation Summit in Washington D.C. Rattner discussed how Intel undertook a transformation in their approach to research and innovation and how far they've come in the past few years. This approach is a 21st century model of industrial research in contrast to the 20th century model of Bell Labs and the many U.S., European, and Asian companies that copied the Bell Labs model in the past.

Yeah, let's innovate some more! Then once we do that we can export the technology and jobs, then follow that up with the brilliant idea of importing the product back here to have a bunch of barely above minimum wage slaves sell the product to a bunch of barely above minimum wage slaves!

What Intel is saying sounds nice, too bad it ain't happening here though.

Yeah, let's innovate some more! Then once we do that we can export the technology and jobs, then follow that up with the brilliant idea of importing the product back here to have a bunch of barely above minimum wage slaves sell the product to a bunch of barely above minimum wage slaves!

What Intel is saying sounds nice, too bad it ain't happening here though.

If you were running a business and had a choice of manufacturing workers that cost $2-3/hr or equally skilled workers who cost $20-30/hr +additional charges, who would your business sense tell you to pick?

As long as people demand low low prices for everything, theres no way they will take option 2. If you wanted everything US made and US sold, computer prices would have to go back to above 90s prices.

Considering all but 3 Intel factories are in the US (Israel, Ireland, and China), they have done a good job of keeping work in the states. Didn't read the article though.

If you were running a business and had a choice of manufacturing workers that cost $2-3/hr or equally skilled workers who cost $20-30/hr +additional charges, who would your business sense tell you to pick?

As long as people demand low low prices for everything, theres no way they will take option 2. If you wanted everything US made and US sold, computer prices would have to go back to above 90s prices.

You must be right because nearly everyone says the same thing today. Do you see it getting better for us once we are all making $1-2/hr?

I wonder how we ever survived without slave labor in China and other poor places.

You must be right because nearly everyone says the same thing today. Do you see it getting better for us once we are all making $1-2/hr?

I wonder how we ever survived without slave labor in China and other poor places.

We once had slave labor, child labor and sweatshop conditions in the United States as well. That's how.

Difference is, the lower wages in other countries aren't really "slave labor", because the cost of living is fraction of the amount. For wages which would be ridiculous in the US, you can be fairly well off so pay can't be viewed $1=$1.

Things were different in the past. Costs of living were lower, the people that ran the rest of the world before were destroyed and in debt after WWII/I, or at lower developmental stages. The US caught a lucky break and got an unatural period of prosperity, but when the world got back on it's feet it wasn't going to last.

The world is a different place now, so the "old ways" aren't going to work. Ether the US needs to find new stuff to do, and not try to compete on a level field with others who are cheaper, or drop the cost of living and with it wages/taxes/everything and become cheaper and more competitive. The current model isn't sustainable, and probably never was.

Difference is, the lower wages in other countries aren't really "slave labor", because the cost of living is fraction of the amount. For wages which would be ridiculous in the US, you can be fairly well off so pay can't be viewed $1=$1.

Things were different in the past. Costs of living were lower, the people that ran the rest of the world before were destroyed and in debt after WWII/I, or at lower developmental stages. The US caught a lucky break and got an unatural period of prosperity, but when the world got back on it's feet it wasn't going to last.

The world is a different place now, so the "old ways" aren't going to work. Ether the US needs to find new stuff to do, and not try to compete on a level field with others who are cheaper, or drop the cost of living and with it wages/taxes/everything and become cheaper and more competitive. The current model isn't sustainable, and probably never was.
Not exactly,in my country averege wage is 400~500$ and prices aren't really that low. A pair of nike shoes for ex costs 50~100$,pants like 30~50$,rent is 150~250$(in small towns)month. As for Pc components ,u pay 500$ for a video card we pay 500 euro wich is like 600$. I donno your rent prices,but let me asure u that for everything else we pay more than u and get a lower pay. Its always funny to see some of the guys who live in the US complain about pc parts beeing expensive :)) I live in europe,maybe in china living costs are lower but the pay is several times lower aswell.

I work for a semiconductor company. We'll say its one of the top 5. What I have been very thankfull for is that most of the engineers are stationed here in America, which means anything that supports the engineers has to be kept here. They have tried to move some of the work overseas, but when it comes to engineers, they want their data right now and they want to have control over it. You just can't do that when your devices are 5000 miles on the other side of the world.

Also from what I have seen from our own out of country sites is that much of the "cheap" Asian locations either don't have consistent infrastructor or they have volatile geological features.

You can build a facility here in America and power will work most of the time and we rarely get things like earthquakes, tsunamis, or hurricanes. So I think that, to a point, technology is safe here for a while. But it will get tough to get entry level jobs, I have no doubt about that.

For clarity, thats per week?
Now u see?:) no its per month,minimum beeing 230 $ :) 600$/month is considered good pay in my town at least. Gas price is among the highest in europe i think 1,6$/L. How much is gas /L in the US?

Back