Mozilla Announces Thimble

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mozilla has announced Thimble, a tool that makes creating website thimple (sorry, couldn't resist). Oddly enough, Internet Explorer pops up a security certificate warning for the site. :D

Mozilla Thimble: Thimble makes it ridiculously simple to create your own web pages. Write and edit HTML and CSS right in your browser. Instantly preview your work. Then host and share your finished pages with a single click. Easy, huh?

Easily clone your favorite sites!

HordACP.com - Hardware Reviews and Nudes !

Cool idea, but I can't stand the thought of going back to writing plain CSS. Also, this is a bit of a problem:
For security reasons, Thimble removes any Javascript from the published page. You can include Javascript while you type the page, but as soon as you publish it, the Javascript will be stripped away.

Cool idea, but I can't stand the thought of going back to writing plain CSS. Also, this is a bit of a problem:

You didn't read the next sentence? Doesn't that help?

"We're working on enabling Javascript in a future version of Thimble. Join our mailing list for more information"

I'm glad they are restricting the use of Javascript; way too many security holes in the language - not to mention how poorly it is implemented by amateur coders. I know a few security experts and software writers who never touched javascript for those reasons, and when one of them finally did, he loved it, but warned that it is way too easy to create exploits unintentionally with it: "It's so easy to use, almost anyone can use it, but not everyone should".

if you post the html of the thimble page that asks you to post your html code then it gives you an infinite mirrors effect...

... just kidding, it gets hung up on the javascript. But come on, you all tried it!

This is a very cool idea. I just tried it a bit, and I don't know enough HTML to know whether it would actually be a useful tool in its current form, but I can definitely see it being useful if it were implemented well.

Back