Game Developers Abandoning Google+

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know things are bad when Google+ doesn't even have enough members to keep Bejeweled from being yanked. Google has consistently denied the "ghost town" rumors but game developers don't exactly pull out of healthy markets, do they? :eek:

PopCap and Wooga-developed games will disappear from Google's social media platform, Google+. Wooga shut down Monster World prior to May 1, issuing their own "goodbye" to Google+. Electronic Arts will remove Bejeweled Blitz from the service on Monday in order to "redeploy our resources to other adaptations of Bejeweled."

Google+ sucks because nobody in my friends' circle posts anything. My friends regularly pop up in Facebook. I checked myself out of Google+ too.

What is it about Google+ that you don't like, folks? Let's hear it, because I'm curious.

To play any game on google+ you have to give up your email address and any other relevant personal info.

plusgames2.jpg

Good riddance. I don't want to play ad-sponsored games on google+. I like Circles, and I don't need a dozen "Little Jimmy played Mob Wars" notifications.

I use G+, pretty much daily (maybe 2x per week for facebook), and frankly, not having games is not going to effect me in the least. Does it have a games channel, yes, have I visited it and played a game or 3 yes, has I been in there recently, nope, not for 4+ months. I don't go on there for games, I go on there for intelligent discourse on things I find interesting. It's only a ghost town if all you have in your circles are your friends who don't post anything, G+ is about interests, NOT friends. Go on there, type in a subject such as cycling into the search box, and then circle a few of the people who make interesting posts, hey look, it's really not a ghost town, <insert name here> was just using it wrong.

G+ is nearly dead, and they will likely suspend support for G+ sometime in the next year or two... It (Google+) sucks, and we all know it.

To play any game on google+ you have to give up your email address and any other relevant personal info.

Sooo...just like Facebook, then?

Facebook got there first. That's really the only reason why Google+ failed. In addition to that, Google+ didn't really offer anything over Facebook to make it worth switching.

It would be like someone making a forum called oftForum. It has the same idea but laid out differently. Now everyone would have to switch from [H] but what's the point when everyone is already here?

I know it's likely due to the connected nature of ownership, but the Android communities I work around are thriving and discuss things much more in depth in Google+ than on Facebook. You can post a link to the same article on both services and the discussion within each service will trend completely differently.

As for gaming? Blech. I block every game that crops up on my feed on Facebook and I have yet to see any on Google+. If I do, I'll block them there too.

I don't find G+ to be dead or even nearly dead. There is no doubt that it isn't nearly as mainstream as Facebook but that is why I use G+ in the first place. I find the active community there to be mostly tech savvies, of which aren't likely to be playing Bejeweled. I guess its somewhat a matter of what circles you run with, pun intended.

I don't find G+ to be dead or even nearly dead. There is no doubt that it isn't nearly as mainstream as Facebook but that is why I use G+ in the first place. I find the active community there to be mostly tech savvies, of which aren't likely to be playing Bejeweled. I guess its somewhat a matter of what circles you run with, pun intended.

Same here. 95% of the people in my circles are techies or in the tech field. .5% of those would be there for the games. We know where to find games, and G+ isn't it.

Wasn't facebook pretty much dead until people started fleeing myspace?

Maybe the only thing Google needs is some patience, all they have to do is wait for facebook to implode due to bloat or mismanagement, and keep google+ from imploding in the same way

plusgames2.jpg

Sooo...just like Facebook, then?

Facebook got there first. That's really the only reason why Google+ failed. In addition to that, Google+ didn't really offer anything over Facebook to make it worth switching.

Have to give google+ credit for being transparent. I'm all for transparency at least. Does Facebook even bother mentioning something before the apps strip your data? Didn't even know games were on google+ in the first place. Not that it matters to me since games are better enjoyed as an .exe and not on a social platform.

One thing I hate about google+ is how they find any opportunity to force you in. google already tracks everything I do the last thing I want is them putting it in google+ for everyone to see.

"Red squirrel search for ..."
"Red squirrel watched ... video on youtube"

No thanks.

That and Facebook is already popular, almost everyone is on it, it makes no sense to be in more than one social network. Google came up with this too late. If they had done it before Facebook maybe they would of had a better chance.

Have to give google+ credit for being transparent. I'm all for transparency at least. Does Facebook even bother mentioning something before the apps strip your data? Didn't even know games were on google+ in the first place. Not that it matters to me since games are better enjoyed as an .exe and not on a social platform.

I'm pretty sure they do. Just like anything else on Facebook, it gives you a warning of what it'll access... though those are usually kind of obscure on exactly what they'll take and they never tell you what they're doing with it or why they need it.

Does Google+ suck or are people just much more used to Facebook? Real question, I don't use either one.

Google+ is no better than facebook, thats the problem. Facebook has 100 times the (active) users.

It would be like someone making a forum called oftForum. It has the same idea but laid out differently. Now everyone would have to switch from [H] but what's the point when everyone is already here?

Exactly!

http://www.intel.com/museumofme/r/index.htm

See what you're giving away with the press of a button :p

Yes, Facebook warns you anywhere you accept a Facebook link or anywhere you share via Facebook like or share button, not just at Facebook itself.

What is it about Google+ that you don't like, folks? Let's hear it, because I'm curious.
Nothing is inherently wrong, but there is nothing inherently special about it either.

Its a chicken or egg thing, and fact is that if you have HOUSE#1 full of people having a party, you can build HOUSE#2 exactly the same but if its empty it will remain empty as people will flock to the house that already has the booming party going.

So Google+ was an answer to a question that nobody asked. Facebook works fine and everyone is on Facebook, so FB would have to royally screw up to drive people away from it and create a market for Google+.

Facebook works fine and everyone is on Facebook, so FB would have to royally screw up to drive people away from it and create a market for Google+.

I'm part of everyone and I'm not on Facebook. Even if you assume that every Facebook account is held by one real, living person, that's still far from everyone which means the majority of mankind isn't stupid and that's GREAT NEWS! ;)

Nothing is inherently wrong, but there is nothing inherently special about it either.

Its a chicken or egg thing, and fact is that if you have HOUSE#1 full of people having a party, you can build HOUSE#2 exactly the same but if its empty it will remain empty as people will flock to the house that already has the booming party going.

So Google+ was an answer to a question that nobody asked. Facebook works fine and everyone is on Facebook, so FB would have to royally screw up to drive people away from it and create a market for Google+.

How well is google+ integrated into android? With all the google services (google docs, maps, latitude, etc.) you may actually be updating on google+ without even knowing it :confused:

Firstly, that has nothing to do with G+ is is the app requesting your email address. Second, Facebook does the SAME thing.

plusgames2.jpg

I look at Google+ a bit like I do WP7. There's nothing wrong with it, and in some respects it's better than the competition; however, the market slice is too small for it to be meaningful or a threat to the market leaders. I also view the G+ fans a lot like I do WP7 fans - rabid, fiercely loyal, and all to quick to dismiss anything negative about their platform of choice.

It amuses me greatly when I see a fanboy/girl bash another platform for the same reasons they'll praise something else :)

I use Google+ all the time. In fact my group (circle?) of friends uses that for common discussion as its easier and better than Facebook. We use facebook too but thats more "one to many" and G+ is more "one to few" type messaging.

I guess therein lies the problem however.

What "problem"? The conversation kinda flowed like this:

"Google+ requires your email/etc. for apps" -> "So does Facebook" -> "At least Google+ is open about requiring that information" -> "...So is Facebook"

Didn't really have anything to do with whether or not requiring your information is a problem. People were trying to argue that Google+ was either better or worse in respects to privacy than Facebook, when in reality it's all the same shit.

Eh, I treat Google+ the same as I treat myspace and facebook, A plague to be kept as far from as possible.

I use google for just about everything else though.

I look at Google+ a bit like I do WP7. There's nothing wrong with it, and in some respects it's better than the competition; however, the market slice is too small for it to be meaningful or a threat to the market leaders. I also view the G+ fans a lot like I do WP7 fans - rabid, fiercely loyal, and all to quick to dismiss anything negative about their platform of choice.

It amuses me greatly when I see a fanboy/girl bash another platform for the same reasons they'll praise something else :)

Except G+ start hot and is fading where as WP7 start slow and is growing.

Back