Riot Games Warns of League of Legends Hacking

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The accounts of an undisclosed number of players of League of Legends have been compromised and Riot Games, developer and publisher of the game, has issued a warning to change your password immediately. The initial breach has been fixed and security has been increased. Thanks to forum member Cageymaru for the linkage.

Riot is the latest in a long list of high profile devs to fall victim to hackers. Valve, Sony, Codemasters and Bioware have all been targeted.

That's four for the week. LinkedIn, eHarmony, Last.fm, and some random game no one plays.

If you refer a game that has 32 million accounts, 4.2 million players day, and 1.4 million players simultaneous playing as a random game no one plays, I am curious what it takes to be a well played game in your book?

That's four for the week. LinkedIn, eHarmony, Last.fm, and some random game no one plays.

Diablo 3? Oh wait those passwords weren't compromised the servers were... well unless you listen to what Blizzard said then it wasn't their fault it was the fault of all the players.

Diablo 3? Oh wait those passwords weren't compromised the servers were... well unless you listen to what Blizzard said then it wasn't their fault it was the fault of all the players.

Servers...passwords...who's keeping track? We'll call it five. :)

And what's wrong with blaming players? Isn't it the way of the world to dump responsibility on the shoulders of everyone else when something goes wrong?

If you refer a game that has 32 million accounts, 4.2 million players day, and 1.4 million players simultaneous playing as a random game no one plays, I am curious what it takes to be a well played game in your book?

Maybe something that isn't so mainstream. A hipster game perhaps.

.....wow, guess you're not a gamer then because League of Legends is one of the most successful free to play games out there.

Actually I do, as no one as been able to reproduce what was being speculated about people stealing session ID's because the game ended up not using the session ID's that everyone said were being hacked. I think it far more likely they were right in that either people had their passwords stolen from their PC's in the traditional methods and/or they used same password in other websites/games like many people and those got hacked.

Hackfest continues... This is quite a high profile game to hack into. Disappointed in Riot's security, and their handling if this situation so far.

No one knows for sure what the heck is going on, but some unconfirmed story (which was posted at the PC games section thread some time ago), supposedly from a gold farmer, stated that they basically gather all email and passwords from other unsecure sites such as Diablo fan sites, and they merely try them all out in Diablo 3 and hit those who happens to used the same password.

So while its true that most victims may not have fallen prey to keyloggers of phishing websites, they got compromised because someone else lost their password on their site which happens to be the same they used for their Battle.net account.

this annoys me, more so because I never got any email telling me to change my password, i'm just learning about it now from here.

Ah, one of those elitist gaming snobs huh?

Reading comprehension isn't one of your more well-developed skills is it? If you put the two posts below together...

.....wow, guess you're not a gamer then because League of Legends is one of the most successful free to play games out there.

That's actually very true, even moreso concerning free to play and MMOs in general.

...you'll find I'm not a gamer at all.

Reading comprehension isn't one of your more well-developed skills is it? If you put the two posts below together...

gaming ≠ gamer

These are two different things.

Seems the hack only affects Europe servers. Lots of misinformation from Riot...

it looks like you do play games though, why else would you add the "moreso" bit?

what we're asking here is why you don't like free-to-play games...

you must realize that not playing a game because it's free sounds absurd...

it looks like you do play games though, why else would you add the "moreso" bit?

what we're asking here is why you don't like free-to-play games...

you must realize that not playing a game because it's free sounds absurd...

Those are perfectly good questions. I do play a few games when I have time, but I'd hardly consider myself among people who wear the gamer title. The stuff installed on my laptops at the moment includes Master of Orion 3, X2: The Threat, and The UnReal World. Of those three, The UnReal World is the only one I play regularly. X2 doesn't like Intel GMAs so my netbook runs it with graphical glitches and my C640 gets annoying hot running it. MOO3 I only play because my daughter and I spend an hour or two at it once in a while.

Not playing something that's free-to-play hasn't got anything to do with dislike but just a lack of interest. MMOs - I don't dislike them at all, but I haven't played one in three years. I'm just not very goal-driven in a game so I tend get a few months in and then just stop spending time doing things aside from idling my avatars at a bank and either being AFK or just chatting with friends.

Back