Federal Aviation Administration Chooses Microsoft Office 365

HardOCP News

[H] News
In its effort to empower personnel to work more efficiently and collaboratively, the Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has chosen to deploy a CSC cloud productivity solution based on Microsoft Office 365, encompassing email messaging, calendaring, instant messaging and webconferencing. As the contract prime, Computer Sciences Corp. (CSC) will lead the cloud implementation, which will provide 60,000 FAA employees and 20,000 DOT employees with access to email, instant messaging, calendaring and webconferencing tools with robust security from virtually any device.

I hope they will also focus on training the staff how to effectively use Office 365. I have trialed Office 365 and actively use Office 365 for Education at our institution, and it is sad to see how little of the potential that Office 365 provides is actually being used because the features are either unknown or badly implemented by our institution (e.g. Lync).

So that makes one federal agency guaranteed to be hacked in 2013, who's next ?

So that makes one federal agency guaranteed to be hacked in 2013, who's next ?

They all slavishly use microsoft. With the other agencies, a hacker at least has to try various attacks due to the various incompatible versions of windows/office.

I'm a BPOS/365 admin and I truly miss on-premise exchange. There is not one week that goes by where I'm not on the phone with microsoft support for one reason or another. And since we've switched to 365 its been pretty much daily issues and calls to MS.

I'm a BPOS/365 admin and I truly miss on-premise exchange. There is not one week that goes by where I'm not on the phone with microsoft support for one reason or another. And since we've switched to 365 its been pretty much daily issues and calls to MS.

Wow, it's that bad? I've been looking into trying out O365 just to see if the cost/benefit ratio has potential to turn into a cost reduction. What specific kinds of problems are you seeing and how widely have you deployed it?

I've got to disagree at least from the Exchange perspective. We've had nothing but a much easier time in getting e-mail from any location with internet access. We've also been able to sync Blackberries (although I know that's not really important anymore) :p Androids, and iPhone's. Outlook 2010 works well with it, and the Web access version seems to offer as much function as the full blown Outlook client. The decision to use 365 Exchange was not mine, but in implementing and usage, I'd highly recommend. I can't wait till I can fully retire my on-site Exchange servers.

Good for them... Lync has changed the way we work in my company. But it has it's IT problems as well.

Back