‘Do-Not-Track’ To Be Opt-In By Default

HardOCP News

[H] News
Honestly, who cares if the Do-Not-Track system is opt-in or opt-out by default? As it is now, websites do not have to comply with DNT because the system will be voluntary. :(

Well, that didn’t take long. The latest proposed draft of the Do Not Track specification published Wednesday requires that users must choose to turn on the anti-behavioral tracking feature in their browsers and software.

Too little too late. Those of us who care about this have already implemented our own privacy walls. Only a select few websites (like HardOCP) are allowed to track me because those are the websites I really care about and cater to me. Plus, only a select few websites really use this information for the betterment of the end user. :)

If you want DNT to work, it must be off by default. If DNT defaults to on in any major browser, websites will all just ignore it. DNT only has any chance of working *because* it is off by default. The act of turning it on is a strong signal to the server, and since it will be a minority of users they will be more likely to follow it.

Too little too late. Those of us who care about this have already implemented our own privacy walls. Only a select few websites (like HardOCP) are allowed to track me because those are the websites I really care about and cater to me. Plus, only a select few websites really use this information for the betterment of the end user. :)

Truth! :D

Back