World IPv6 Launch Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did the internet just get roomier or am I hallucinating? Everything seems faster and the internet seems less crowded, I feel free, more alive! Thank you IPv6, thank you! :p

Wednesday marks World IPv6 Launch Day, when many major websites such as Facebook, Google and Microsoft turn on IPv6 on their homepages. On 6th June 2011, we saw a 24-hour trial of IPv6 on the main website addresses of these sites to test for any problems, but this year IPv6 will stay enabled for good.

IPv6 - Your watch, your shoes, and your favorite vibrating friend can now have an IP address.

ISP will still not allow anything but direct IP connections...

Speaking of which, imagine typing IPv6 IPs into things like older games make you do. :eek:

The IPv6 test that site links to does not work correctly. It says I am IPv4 only which is incorrect.

Using the speed test on that site to compare my IPV4 vs IPV6 speeds, IPV6 is slower. IPV4 5.13, IPV6 4.54

ISP will still not allow anything but direct IP connections...

Speaking of which, imagine typing IPv6 IPs into things like older games make you do. :eek:

Actually it isn't so bad. With rules like zero compression and hex conversions, IPv6 addresses can be faster to type then IPV4. It took me a bit to adjust to IPv6 when I first started delving into it while earning my CCNA, but once I did it became cake.

AT&T does support IPv6, you have to purchase a new gateway, they have 2 models a $75 model and a $100 model (Netgear DSL Gateway model 7550, and Netgear DSL modem model 6200).

AT&T does support IPv6, you have to purchase a new gateway, they have 2 models a $75 model and a $100 model (Netgear DSL Gateway model 7550, and Netgear DSL modem model 6200).

lol? Maybe they can charge for a google and facebook gateway as well.

I remember back in the 90's when IPv6 was going to be the savior of the internets. Oh wait, you mean every object on the planet doesn't NEED a static IP address?

i have been trying to get them to give me a ipv6 address but they havent. my router is only getting an ipv6 address on 6to4 tunnel.

Back