Microsoft Will Launch Office For iPad In November

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft will take its Office Suite to the iPad in November according to a source close to the Office sales team. The move to the iPad will be a tradeoff for Microsoft since it will weaken its hold on the Windows market, but strengthen the financial outlook for the company with increased sales of the Office products to a brand new market.

“If the only thing that makes Windows, or Windows tablets special is the fact that it has Office, then Microsoft is going to be in trouble.”

If its anything like office for the mac then expect it to be a half-assed project.

I wonder how it'll be priced. While not necessarily as functional as Office is, the Apple suite of Keynote, Numbers, & Pages are more than functional for 90% of users, and they're only $30.

I like how that quote has an 'IF' in front, because right off the bat anyone that is familiar with Macs knows that office is available for OSX - as pointed out by AthlonXP. What I care about more is will it blend with Office 365, so mobile users can be issued iPads as a backup device for email and rudementary document work.

What I care about more is will it blend with Office 365, so mobile users can be issued iPads as a backup device for email and rudimentary document work.

Even if it does sync with O365, using it in an enterprise is going to be a dicey undertaking if there's no remote wipe.

If its anything like office for the mac then expect it to be a half-assed project.

Even done poorly, it'll probably be better than most of the free office suites that are in the Google Market for Androids. Have you tried editing a 200 page .doc on a Droid in OliveOffice? I'd be happy to see Microsoft port Office Mobile they built for their CE-based stuff over to iOS and Android. Someone needs to make something that actually works for amature novelists dammit! >.<

This is Microsoft hedging their bets. If Win8 somehow fails to succeed as a tablet OS, at least Microsoft would have one of their key products in the furiously growing iPad market.

Even if it does sync with O365, using it in an enterprise is going to be a dicey undertaking if there's no remote wipe.

IOS supports remote wipe. I can remote wipe my ipad without even being part of a corporate net.

Same as a poster up thread I am wondering about price. That is likely the biggest concern, with a smaller (yet still important) how easy is it to use.

I have page and numbers, they are both well done and functional, though I really dont like how the UI is set up. If I can get iOS office for $30ish I will. I use office on my other machines and being able to copy documents without the bullshit import/export stuff though itunes would be very nice, particularly if the apps work more like the windows versions rather then the (to me) not one bit intuitive Pages/Numbers.

Will the upcoming release of Win8 and Metro interface, shouldn't MS be focusing in offering Office for Win8 tablets?

Will the upcoming release of Win8 and Metro interface, shouldn't MS be focusing in offering Office for Win8 tablets?

MS is a large enough company to work on multiple projects I think.

Love to see office, ie and directx for linux. I've been a windows supporter for decades, but if they finally get just those running, I'd switch over. Windows for the desktop is being killed off with windows 8, and the desktop seems an area that microsoft really has made the mistake of totally ignoring in their blind pursuit of conveniance toys. There are just some markets you should ignore and let others pursue so you can then strengthen your fundamentals. Better to be a master than an also ran.

Love to see office, ie and directx for linux. I've been a windows supporter for decades, but if they finally get just those running, I'd switch over.

Which is why they'll never do it :p

Yea, quite unfortunate that. As I said, they'd rather chase an imaginary market shift that is really a fad with the current players years ahead, rather than think about expanding market opportunity to an established base within their domain. Ah well.

hi, just observation and opinion. One of the commercial thing pulling Microsoft is probably this item on Front-Page-News, "Apple Restocks Its Shelves Every Five Days".

I do understand many valid counter-views. I guess Microsoft is in some kind of determination. It is understandable. Most commercial entities, especially those in this bleeding edge stuff, will try something.

Back