Soft-Body Physics in CryEngine3

HardOCP News

[H] News
This video showing off soft-body physics in CryEngine3 is kinda neat. The team behind the open source "Rigs of Rods" is responsible for this (not Crytek).

Console version will have washed out compressed to hell textures. PC version will have to live with it.

Saw this a few days ago. I like it. Now wait 5-8 years for a game to use it. -.-

This great, but unfortunately, color me surprised when gameplay and content that use it are good.

How am I supposed to unrealistically run over hundreds of unsuspecting pedestrians, bounce off a few buildings in head-on collisions and still escape the police when damage modeling becomes this accurate?

How am I supposed to unrealistically run over hundreds of unsuspecting pedestrians, bounce off a few buildings in head-on collisions and still escape the police when damage modeling becomes this accurate?

Swap cars. Your character is an Olympic-caliber sprinter and can unlock and hotwire a car in less than half a second. :p

I'm curious whether they used skeletal animation to accomplish this (with lots of elastic and inelastic constrained/detachable joints), or if they went with a wholly different technique. I didn't listen to the audio though, so they might have already revealed it. :p

Very nice! They need to work on making the tires more solid though. There were a number of times body panels clipped through the tires.

Strange... it looked really awesome in the test box, but when they put it into the jungle/game test, it looked like the gravity was turned way down. It was see-sawing rather oddly, and didn't have the violent movements that you would see in real life.

Still impressive with that flaw... I'm sure the final version will be extremely impressive.

There's a note in the video that says they're running it in slow motion and not that the gravity is set to something lower.

I was going to make the required "game will ship without DX11" and "console port" jokes but, since this isn't Crytek we are talking about, I let it slide. ;)

Strange... it looked really awesome in the test box, but when they put it into the jungle/game test, it looked like the gravity was turned way down. It was see-sawing rather oddly, and didn't have the violent movements that you would see in real life.

Still impressive with that flaw... I'm sure the final version will be extremely impressive.

They tell in the video that they were using slow motion in that clip...thats why it looks like that.

It looks great. But, it'll be like all the other tech demos out there. Just a demo that a game never takes advantage of...

It might be gravity low or slow motion or they might just have the spring stiffness way off. Both the tyres and springs look a bit too bouncy and if they haven't implemented dampers it'd result in the truck bouncing around like crazy, just like a real car with buggered dampers, long soft springs and tyres made from the same stuff they make bouncy balls from :D

The instrumental in this is CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

that was BEAUTIFUL! i really hope this makes it into the game. it would be worth playing just for that!

Search Rigs of Rods, it's already a game of sorts. Free to download on sourceforge.

Normally I'm not impressed with tech demo's but those physics are amazing. Realistic vehicle damage is something long overdue on games. My only gripes with this is that there appears to be no suspension damage from large jumps (Dukes of Hazard could never happen :p ).

This is the type of thing I've always wondered whyyy all these games based around driving DON'T HAVE.

I mean you play virtually any racing/driving game and the physics are almost laughable, the way cars behave when you impact something, run over things, etc it's just no where near how a care would behave irl.

Playing a game like say Burnout, or GTA, this kind of phyiscs system could add SOOOOOOOOO much to the games.

I REALLY hope this doesn't end up like most "look at our cool concept/tools and what we can do" where you think "that's awesome" but no game ever uses it, at least to that degree.

Remember when videos like this used to come from Crytek? Those were the days.

I wish they'd release just the demo, looks like fun to smash some cars.

I was hoping to see where they crashed one truck into another, but maybe in the next one. Quite impressive, and at 100FPS even! Destructible world environment next? I'd love to be able to break out of sandboxed and scripted level design to where you can just plow through a building with a bulldozer or a tank, climb up a dangling electrical cable, shotgun a door open and pretty much do things you'd be able to do in real life. Oh, and rocket launcher + wall = instant doorway. "Keycard? I don't need no f!@#in keycard!" I want this.

Do want. Hell, I'll take that demo sandbox. That looks like fun. My six year old would LOVE this.

That all looks pretty cool but what is really amazing is that, in most of those shots, I could not even see a driver!

2:28

When the truck rear ended and didn't crumple like cardboard and bent the entire truckbed instead. That was a "WOW!" moment.

Next, i want it to play chicken with a Tank.

^ no shit, the mirror dangling and the starboard fender coming completely loose in front and flopping off its rear fasteners

wow...just wow

Back