Microsoft Joins White House in New Effort to Combat Botnets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Every day criminals exploit innocent, unsuspecting people by secretly overtaking their computers to carry out crimes. Networks of bad actors have assembled an efficient, resilient infrastructure of computing power called botnets to enable Internet-based organized crimes ranging from the distribution of malware to phishing solicitations and online theft. In order to address the criminal threat posed by botnets, the public and private sectors are announcing new, collaborative efforts to keep consumers safe online.

I eagerly await all the new backdoors into my OS that this unholy union of Microsoft and the government will create.

It's time to switch back to Hannah Montana Linux.

I eagerly await all the new backdoors into my OS that this unholy union of Microsoft and the government will create.

It's time to switch back to Hannah Montana Linux.

Too late for the tin foil. There is already a government produced OS mod for dealing with botnets: SELinux (done by the NSA, no less). Guess what, it works (for values of acceptable even less than the typical desktop linux user accepts. No clue on general useage, although it ships with Fedora). Don't expect it to allow everything you expect in your browser.

Somehow I don't expect anyone in this new project to get around to the elephant in the room: the users don't care. If it means that they can't download the latest facebook enhancement, security is unacceptable. If the botnet doesn't interfere too badly* with the network it is acceptable.

Lets not forget the unspoken unofficial word that the 2 most complex virus's out there, Stuxnet and Flame are thought to be, at least in part, created by some arm of the United States government.

Lets not forget the unspoken unofficial word that the 2 most complex virus's out there, Stuxnet and Flame are thought to be, at least in part, created by some arm of the United States government.

Impossible! Those were made by the Soviet Union!

Back