More People Flying Their Geek Pride Flag

HardOCP News

[H] News
Raise your hand if you knew it was Geek Pride Day.

Of the people surveyed by the Opinion Research Group for Modis' study, 17 percent said they were geeks. The results pointed to a cultural shift in the way Americans perceive geeks. While two-thirds of "Millennials ," the age 18-34 demographic group, think being identified as a geek is a compliment, only 39 percent of respondents who are 65 and older agree.

The question is: What will be cool 15 years from now since this whole 'geek' thing is already past it's peak?

Hell, I was a geek back when I built my first 8088 and I was proud, and I still am. *one of those 34 year olds* :D

Thing is I identify the term geek with someone of superior intellect or skill in a particular aspect of life, math geek, physics geek, fish geek, computer geek, etc.

However you take a term like nerd and that's leaning towards more of a social aspect of life. Seems as if there's been a change somewhere along the line where geek and nerd were no longer synonymous.

Take the TV show The Big Bang Theory, those guys are physics geeks but are also nerds, but they're not nerds because they know physics (or whatever other things they do on the show).

Slightly OT, but I thought millennials were still in their md 20's while the last of the genX's were 30 now. I sure don't put myself in the millennial crowd.

On topic - I'm a geek and proud of it. Happy 35th Star Wars, happy Towel Day, happy "42" day (5 + 25 + 12), and every other geeky thing. :D

Every single day and week is a This or That Day or whatever. It makes it all meaningless and no one really cares.

Every single day and week is a This or That Day or whatever. It makes it all meaningless and no one really cares.

Should have a year of something. Everyone wears red year. Might be bad for Army people, and cow farmers, and the world would sell out of red crap...hmm...:(

Anyone pimping pride is pushing something they should be ashamed of. Calling someone a geek is like calling them an idiot savant. Geek (comes from a word meaning "fool") means a boring and unattractive social misfit. "Computer geek" means a boring and unattractive social misfit who is good with computers.

I'm tech savvy. But, I am not a geek. I don't want to be a geek. I don't want to be called a geek.

Yeah 100 years ago when side shows existed now go drunk your prune juice and watch Matlock.

Surely you meant towel.

Old [school] geek. The concept of poser geeks boggles the mind.

Back