Apple CEO Gives Up $75M In Dividend Income

HardOCP News

[H] News
Donating millions to charity? Paying dividends to shareholders? Excluding himself from receiving more than $75M in dividend income? The more I know about this guy, the more I like him.

Apple said in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday that Cook had asked to be excluded from a recently instituted company program through which employees can accumulate dividends on their restricted stock units that are still vesting.

Before Jobs died, I had a fairly complete and justified set of reasons to hate Apple. But Cook seems to be wanting to change that. Who knows...maybe he will fix iTunes next. :p

Before Jobs died, I had a fairly complete and justified set of reasons to hate Apple. But Cook seems to be wanting to change that. Who knows...maybe he will fix iTunes next. :p

If they made the itunes install for windows NOT be a piece of spyware that popups and spams me with shit if its ever installed... I would think about changing to apple products, get an ipad or iphone etc. But since the program rapes my OS if its ever installed I don't allow it on my machines cause it sucks :)

Kudos to Cook, I really admire that in leaders when they give. The CEO of my company has a policy for buying toys that if he spends X amount on a cool car, he donates X amount to charity. Guy is rad

But why do this?its not like apple doesnt have money,why not take what they give u?he could have donated it lately if he wanted to be a saint. My echonimical english is not that good,maybe i dont understand what money he was actualy about to get. Can anyone clarify?

If they made the itunes install for windows NOT be a piece of spyware that popups and spams me with shit if its ever installed... I would think about changing to apple products, get an ipad or iphone etc. But since the program rapes my OS if its ever installed I don't allow it on my machines cause it sucks :)

Kudos to Cook, I really admire that in leaders when they give. The CEO of my company has a policy for buying toys that if he spends X amount on a cool car, he donates X amount to charity. Guy is rad

What the fuck? Spyware? Spams you? Steam throws ads in my face a million times more than iTunes ever had.

iTunes hasn't installed accessories in ages. You can install iTunes without Safari and Quicktime and you can make it not bother you or sync or devices.

Why do people make things up?

On topic, Tim Cook sounds like an all around decent guy. But when you have millions already, and always have extra millions after expenses and bills, what's $75 million to you?

What the fuck? Spyware? Spams you? Steam throws ads in my face a million times more than iTunes ever had.

iTunes hasn't installed accessories in ages. You can install iTunes without Safari and Quicktime and you can make it not bother you or sync or devices.

Easier than doing research. :D

If this keeps up, then we won't be able to make fun of Apple anymore. Then who would we have left? Making fun of Sony is like beating a dead horse.

If this keeps up, then we won't be able to make fun of Apple anymore. Then who would we have left? Making fun of Sony is like beating a dead horse.

There's always Nintendo, and for some, Windows 8.

Steam popups can easily be turned off. iTunes is pretty poor software, regardless of your affiliations.

Steam popups can easily be turned off. iTunes is pretty poor software, regardless of your affiliations.

It's a bit slow on older computers and underpowered laptops, granted. I was just addressing his spam and popup claims.

But yeah I know about turning off pop-ups in Steam. I'm just comparing iTunes with one of the more beloved software in [H] and pointing out his irony.

When you close Steam, it is no longer running on your system.

When you close itunes, you've still got 2(3?) services running.

services != spam and spyware

Then what is it doing? If I tell a program to close...I want is closed...PERIOD. That is like telling bitch I brought home last night to GTFO but she hangs out in my closet w/o telling me.

Then what is it doing? If I tell a program to close...I want is closed...PERIOD. That is like telling bitch I brought home last night to GTFO but she hangs out in my closet w/o telling me.

Bonjour... Apple's networking service??? (don't know much about it, other then disable and it doesn't really effect itunes/ipod/iphone much.

There is also another service that will open itunes automatically if you attach an idevice (if I remember correctly).

I think there is also an upgrade service that will prompt for updates to apple software... itunes, quicktime etc.

Reasons to hate iTunes.

1. Nowhere near as clean and slick as Zune (debatable, I know)
2. Bonjour. I don't need to share my playlists over my network, especially not using software that can kill mt computer's ability to connect to my own network. (Fact, look it up.)
3. (and the biggest show stopper) iTunes tends to break the computers ability to use optical drives. The solution? Go into the registry and delete the Upper and Lower Filter entries and reboot. Your optical drive will now re-appear in My Computer and again be usable. Just not in iTunes which will say there is a problem and reinstall. Which makes iTunes able to use the drive, but not any other program on your system.

iTunes sucks. The end.

Reasons to hate iTunes.

1. Nowhere near as clean and slick as Zune (debatable, I know)
2. Bonjour. I don't need to share my playlists over my network, especially not using software that can kill mt computer's ability to connect to my own network. (Fact, look it up.)
3. (and the biggest show stopper) iTunes tends to break the computers ability to use optical drives. The solution? Go into the registry and delete the Upper and Lower Filter entries and reboot. Your optical drive will now re-appear in My Computer and again be usable. Just not in iTunes which will say there is a problem and reinstall. Which makes iTunes able to use the drive, but not any other program on your system.

iTunes sucks. The end.

1. Subjective
2. Completely agree, I think you can just stop it with msconfig and it won't affect iTunes?
3. I remember this issue years ago but haven't seen it in forever. (Was a very big pain in the butt at the time).

Maybe they could fix Genius so Opeth stops showing up in Glam Metal and Alice in Chains stops showing up in goth. >.<

Should have taken it and donated all of it in Steve Job's name. Since Steve wasn't so generous himself.

I dunno guys. I think this Tim Cook guy is gonna grow the Apple that I thought wasn't gonna continue to grow w/o Steve.

He's just going to do it in different ways. Color me impressed, I like this guy and thats saying a lot, cause I hate Apple with the utmost passion

Next get rid of quicktime completely and remove mov from ever existing. :D

If he really wanted to be altruistic, he could have elected to receive the 75 million and then given it all to charity.

Is there any chance he really forwent the dividend equivalent (they're not actually dividends) either to avoid the taxes, avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest, or as part of some bargaining with the board?

If he really wanted to be altruistic, he could have elected to receive the 75 million and then given it all to charity.

Is there any chance he really forwent the dividend equivalent (they're not actually dividends) either to avoid the taxes, avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest, or as part of some bargaining with the board?

We don't know the reasoning, so all of the above could be the case. I don't think anyone can conclude he's being altruistic just from the information presented in that article.

How would his shares bring in $75M? He owns 1M shares, so each share pays $75 in dividens? Fuck me I need to buy more Apple stock then!

Unlike Steve "Greed" Jobs , Tim Cook actually sounds like a better CEO , perhaps not the marketing maven Steve was but Steve didn't do jack for charity.

Bonjour... Apple's networking service??? (don't know much about it, other then disable and it doesn't really effect itunes/ipod/iphone much.

There is also another service that will open itunes automatically if you attach an idevice (if I remember correctly).

I think there is also an upgrade service that will prompt for updates to apple software... itunes, quicktime etc.

Big deal , neither of those programs cause issues for me. When I have to use iTunes to back up my phone than its simple and works fine.

However I think iTunes as an interface is pretty fucking terrible. I've always hated the layout and the look because it reminded me of using a bland Mac.

I would love to see Apple address long time issues and actually open up its platform. If Cook would just release the tension a bit and allow people to make "Hackintoshes" as long as they don't sell them than I would consider running the OSX under a VM.

You know Steve Jobs has to be spinning in his grave. :eek:

Yet he has a "Best Selling" "Biography" about the dead faggot, and everyone thinks hes done ANYTHING good in this world other than knowing some skills in marketing to get morons hooked on 1 brand :rolleyes:

The man was a piece of shit. He died of cancer because not once did his rich ass donate any of it, nor put it back into the company/investors. Agree with Steve completely on liking this new CEO, I don't do it often, but I must applaud him and Apple on this.

Yet he has a "Best Selling" "Biography" about the dead faggot, and everyone thinks hes done ANYTHING good in this world other than knowing some skills in marketing to get morons hooked on 1 brand :rolleyes:

The man was a piece of shit. He died of cancer because not once did his rich ass donate any of it, nor put it back into the company/investors. Agree with Steve completely on liking this new CEO, I don't do it often, but I must applaud him and Apple on this.

I don't even..

Dead faggot? He died of cancer because he didn't donate? Morons getting hooked on one brand?

Did he touch you as a child or something to make you spew such vitriol?

Maybe cook could have given some of that 75M to 38 Studios to keep 379 people employed. But I guess we'll all look good with our fancy new iphone in our brand new cardboard box apartments.

And if you really wanted to be altruistic, you would have spent the time it took you to write this post doing something charitable. But...you didn't.

You're worse than the Apple-fanboys that go on and on about no viruses.

Back