Supervolcano Drilling Plan Gets Go-Ahead

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Researchers have been given approval to drill into a supervolcano close to Naples, Italy after several years of denying permission to drill. Fears of the drilling range from creating local earthquakes all the way to starting a global catastrophy. Drilling will begin in several months (probably on December 21st, we’re all going die) :D

The project’s organizers originally intended to bore a 4-kilometer-deep well in the area of the caldera late in 2009, but the plan was put on hold by then-mayor Rosa Russo Lervolino after scientists expressed concerns about the risks.

There's one under Yellowstone.

Personally I say just do it. If it's anything like a zit, it's bound to have some nasty shit down below. :D

There will be an erruption which will fling rocks into the sky which will fall on the LHCs on switch which will fire solenoid particles at each other and cause a super black hole and the sun to explode which will kill everyone! :eek:

Science isn't about why, it's about why not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPpIjhtgGj0

18623445.jpg

Good. I hope it goes well and sometime you have to take risks to advance science. Besides, we are more likely to let loose a superbug or grey goo before we blow ourselves up drilling a volcano.

I hope they don't find super aids around that super volcano.

If anything it will be like a vent to relieve some pressure, or if it has lava/magma, it will solidify and self seal before ever reaching the surface.

If anything it will be like a vent to relieve some pressure, or if it has lava/magma, it will solidify and self seal before ever reaching the surface.

Would you be willing to work on the drilling platform during drilling to test your theory?

I love the experts here telling us it's nothing to worry about. Studied geology and volcanoes, have we?

I love the experts here telling us it's nothing to worry about. Studied geology and volcanoes, have we?

On the internet, we're all experts.

I myself have studied at length and hold advanced internet degrees in a variety disciplines including geophysics, geo-engineering, middle-eastern history, American history, Greek philosophy, electrical engineering, sociology, mathematics, chemistry, immunology, nuclear physics, marine biology, evolutionary biology, microbiology, ornithology, urology, aeronautics, accounting and finance, macro-economics, ecoinformatics, political science, carpentry, logistics management, medieval architecture, material science, film production, climatology, meteorology, rocketry, psychology, statistics, woodworking, computer science, music production, oceanography, entomology, paleontology, sports medicine, classical literature, interpretive dance, Japanese feudalism, Native-American theology, elementary education, cosmology, astronomy, business ethics, forensic pathology, occupational therapy, aroma therapy, mechanical engineering, anthropology, endocrinology, virology, ecology, criminal law, tax law, intellectual property law, marketing, cryptography, cartography, zoology, neurosurgery, dermatology, art history, linguistics, graphic design, game design, french cuisine, molecular gastronomy, and basket weaving.

In this expert's opinion, nothing can possibly go wrong.

On the internet, we're all experts.

I myself have studied at length and hold advanced internet degrees in a variety disciplines including geophysics, geo-engineering, middle-eastern history, American history, Greek philosophy, electrical engineering, sociology, mathematics, chemistry, immunology, nuclear physics, marine biology, evolutionary biology, microbiology, ornithology, urology, aeronautics, accounting and finance, macro-economics, ecoinformatics, political science, carpentry, logistics management, medieval architecture, material science, film production, climatology, meteorology, rocketry, psychology, statistics, woodworking, computer science, music production, oceanography, entomology, paleontology, sports medicine, classical literature, interpretive dance, Japanese feudalism, Native-American theology, elementary education, cosmology, astronomy, business ethics, forensic pathology, occupational therapy, aroma therapy, mechanical engineering, anthropology, endocrinology, virology, ecology, criminal law, tax law, intellectual property law, marketing, cryptography, cartography, zoology, neurosurgery, dermatology, art history, linguistics, graphic design, game design, french cuisine, molecular gastronomy, and basket weaving.

In this expert's opinion, nothing can possibly go wrong.

Is that you Sheldon?

Back