Microsoft Restarts the ‘Buy a PC, Get an Xbox’ Program

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Beginning May 20th. Microsoft is bringing back the ‘buy a PC and get a free Xbox’ promotion. If you are looking to buy a new PC in the near future, this summer will prove to be the best time for a deal with a cheap upgrade to Windows 8 along with a free Xbox to boot. Nice promotion Microsoft. :cool:

Starting on May 20, the promotion is valid on both desktops and laptops sold through a variety of U.S. retailers including NewEgg, Fry’s Electronics, HPDirect, Best Buy, Dell and Microsoft stores. The promotion is also valid in Canada at Staples, The Source, Future Shop, Dell and Best Buy

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on it. Will be studying for a year in the US from July. Maybe it'll be easier to get a laptop + 360 through this than try and build another gaming PC or transport components from my PC in Australia to the US.

this is really a good idea. as you can buy a cheap laptop and get a 360 for free. cool idea

My computer's starting to show its age - Phenom II 720 x3, AMD Radeon HD4890, 4GB RAM. Plus I'm not an Xbox owner, so perhaps I'll keep an eye on this promotion as well.

Hold the thought. Just read the article. They're only offering it to students enrolling for college in the fall. Bah.

Hold the thought. Just read the article. They're only offering it to students enrolling for college in the fall. Bah.

Ahh, dang, missed that bit. I've been a research graduate student for a year and a half already.

My computer's starting to show its age - Phenom II 720 x3, AMD Radeon HD4890, 4GB RAM. Plus I'm not an Xbox owner, so perhaps I'll keep an eye on this promotion as well.

So I guess my Phenom X4 9850 with a Radeon HD6750 6GB RAM is pretty ancient? I also have a Xbox 360, but I think it's been 2 years since I've touched it. God knows if the thing even works still. Though my Phenom is overclocked to 3Ghz and water cooled. :p

To be honest if I do anything in the near future is probably buy a Phenom II X6 and stick into my machine. Even though it still uses DDR2 memory, which is probably not worth to keep in the future. If I ever wanna upgrade the ram it'll be better to get a new motherboard and DDR3, as it'll probably cost the same.

Most games I run through it run just fine. Diablo 3 runs at max settings and resolution with no slow down at all. Not something I should really be bragging honestly. The only thing that's ever given me trouble is Dolphin a Wii emulator. That will honestly get 50% to 60% game speed on a game like Metroid Prime 3.

Noooo!! I bought a 360 and new laptop recently, thinking the program wouldn't be back... Oh well. Fail. :D

Just find any college student that's enrolled and ask him if he wants to make $10. :p

Booo! I have to buy 2 laptops from Dell this summer. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a willing student...

I remember this program from last year and it wasn't a good deal. That deal was only for overpriced computers and none dell coupons could be applied. It always equaled out so I just and Acer 4820TG.

Bummer, on only for students. Getting a 360 free is about the only way I will get another one after my first one died. I guess Lost Odyssey (the only game I bought for the system) continues to gather dust.

lol, pathetic promotion in Canada. Aside from Dell, limited to four specific stores (two of which are owned by the same company), Staples' promotion only works on certain laptops they picked (read: jacked up prices) , and the last sells pathetic low end laptops. We need a Microsoft store here.

So I guess my Phenom X4 9850 with a Radeon HD6750 6GB RAM is pretty ancient? I also have a Xbox 360, but I think it's been 2 years since I've touched it. God knows if the thing even works still. Though my Phenom is overclocked to 3Ghz and water cooled. :p

To be honest if I do anything in the near future is probably buy a Phenom II X6 and stick into my machine. Even though it still uses DDR2 memory, which is probably not worth to keep in the future. If I ever wanna upgrade the ram it'll be better to get a new motherboard and DDR3, as it'll probably cost the same.

Most games I run through it run just fine. Diablo 3 runs at max settings and resolution with no slow down at all. Not something I should really be bragging honestly. The only thing that's ever given me trouble is Dolphin a Wii emulator. That will honestly get 50% to 60% game speed on a game like Metroid Prime 3.

Yeah I'm leaning on an Intel build next round. It'll be my first since my IBM PS2 50/55sx. Been an AMD builder since the AMD 486dx4 122Mhz. We'll see what Trinity brings to the table compared to an Ivy Bridge Core i5.

I'd probably get away with not needing a core upgrade for a couple more years if I just upgrade the video card to an HD 7800 or 7900 series and toss in another 4GB of RAM. The Phenom II x3 is still running strong.

Yeah I'm leaning on an Intel build next round. It'll be my first since my IBM PS2 50/55sx. Been an AMD builder since the AMD 486dx4 122Mhz. We'll see what Trinity brings to the table compared to an Ivy Bridge Core i5.

I'd probably get away with not needing a core upgrade for a couple more years if I just upgrade the video card to an HD 7800 or 7900 series and toss in another 4GB of RAM. The Phenom II x3 is still running strong.
Depending what kind of Phenom II x3 you got, you should trying unlocking the forth core.

The last time I build a Intel machine was when I had a Pentium III 850 Mhz with a AIE Radeon graphics card in it. Can't remember if it was still using a 440BX chipset or something else. I also have a PC with a Phenom II X4 820 and I was able to unlock 2 MB of L3 cache, and even overclock it easily by 500 Mhz air cooled. This is my HTPC BTW.

If I can avoid the need to upgrade my current machine, I'm also going towards Intel. There's something I realized about AMD's recent processors, and AMD seems to be lying about the amount of cores in them. I don't think the Bulldozer has a 8 core, and neither does Trinity have a 4 core. From the looks of the die pictures the Bulldozer chip is really a 4 core, and Trinity is a dual core. Using some sort of Hyper Threading type technology they make believe it's double then what it really has. Bulldozer owners have reported that the Windows 7 patch has turned their processor into a 4 core.

I really hope AMD isn't going after this as a marketing trick. It's hurting them more then helping them. Especially when people are comparing the new Trinity chip to an i7. The i7 is double to 3 times the performance. Makes AMD look sad.

the last time they did this i was working at best buy and we basically gave the promotion to anyone. We would "ask" if they were enrolling in college for the fall and if they said yes that was good enough.

Back