Rocket Science Is Dangerous Business

When stupid people play with things that can harm them....

At least it appears no one got hurt. A charge shouldn't be armed when the dude was sitting so close. A halfway intelligent person would have made the wires between the computer and altimeter 100 feet long.

I shit myself when that bag fell over. I was waiting for something to happen, and that did. :p

The intelligent people don't need to do this crap stuff, however there always will be someone enough stupid to try it.

son was holding the camera. I love how at the end he starts to blame it on his son. "JEEZZ...OH MY...SON I TRIED TO TELL YA..." when the whole time his son is like dad be careful.

I don't see how it was a blast off, or how it was premature.

They tried to test the stage separation and that worked just fine. The only issue is that the blast took them by surprise. Looks more like Steve FAILed to understand what exactly was supposed to happen.

There is no FAIL in this video, the only thing we saw is the son being surprised by the force of the intended separation.

Heh... classic. "Jesus... *heavy panting*... Jeez!... *more heavy panting*... O' muh' word!"

Dammit I love stupid people!

Father/son/daughter (and wife or grandma at the end) project

Finally someone got it right... I was beginning to think the inaccuracy of the people involved was going to have to do something with the results of the video...

They tried to test the stage separation and that worked just fine. The only issue is that the blast took them by surprise. Looks more like Steve FAILed to understand what exactly was supposed to happen.

There is no FAIL in this video, the only thing we saw is the son being surprised by the force of the intended separation.

+1.

I dunno, it looked like it worked exactly as it was supposed to--the charge goes off and the two sections separate. Yeah, the guy was stupid to be sitting right there, and the upper half of the stage should have been more securely anchored to the ground, but it looks like a (technically) flawless test to me.

+1

Steve is fail at descriptions.

It did excactly what it was supposed to do, exactly when it was supposed to do it.

The FAIL was the idiot sitting that close to a booster separation charge when he INTENTIONALLY set it off.

For a guy who looks like a total geek, he really hadn't thought that one out at all.

And geeks aren't supposed to win Darwin awards.

Description inaccuracies aside, there is plenty of fail here. If the son had been standing just a little to the left, the upper stage could have beat him up real good when it flipped forward.

"I can't get any further away than this." Then don't run the test?

Neither of them checking for the sandbag that fell over, in the son's plain view as he watched through the camera.

The rocket not being properly secured even if the sandbag was in place.

I shudder to think what will happen if this guy ever launches his little project. You have to love that his first instinct is to prop up his shamed and embarrassed self-esteem by making a whiny blame-dump in his son's direction.

Let's try out some possible finishes to the cut-off sentence at the end of the video!

"I tried to tell you, son, I'm not that good with tools!"

"I tried to tell you, son, fast reflexes are important!"

"I tried to tell you, son, I never liked you that much."

"I tried to tell you, son, I flunked out of Common Sense 101 in junior high!"

"I tried to tell you, son, I took out a $1 million policy on your life after that whole failed catfish farm fiasco, and insurance companies are hard to fool! This 'accident' has got to look good!"

I have to admit, he looks like Arrested Development's Jeffery Tambor

MV5BMTk1MDA1NzkwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAzMTAxMw@@._V1_.jpg

6 grams of black powder!

Somebody get the man a crazy scientist white hair wig and convert that to GIGAWATTS pleez

I was once told that 1lb of black powder is the equivalent to 2 sticks of dynamite. He may want to scale his charge back a bit.

+1

I didn't quite see blood splatter or anyone getting hurt...I think the anticipation of that to happen was more exciting than the video.

I was waiting to see which person was going to go up in flames. Dad? Daughter? Oh! A black cat!

Wow, that's a great laptop ad... So, it's explosion proof, but is it EMP hardened?
I need one of those for the coming apocalypse!

The stupid part is arming and deploying it from 6" away.

Almost a Darwin Award Nominee! Double the charge next time and we may have a winner.

Wow, that's a great laptop ad... So, it's explosion proof, but is it EMP hardened?
I need one of those for the coming apocalypse!

It kind of looks like a ThinkPad (based on lid). If it is, Lenovo might be able to use this video for publicity. :D

Things I immediately see seriously wrong with what they're doing:

* The father's way too close to the rocket at arming
* The son is way too close to the rocket at arming
* The laptop is way too close to the rocket at arming
* The daughter is way too close to the rocket at arming
* None of them are behind any kind of barrier during arming
* None of them are wearing any kind of hearing protection
* None of them seem to be wearing any eye protection
* The son is standing down range of the ejection charge blast while filming (even if he's off to the side a little it's still idiotic)
* The test frame is nowhere near sturdy enough (it should be welded steel) and doesn't have anywhere near enough mass on it.
* What little mass the test frame has isn't securely mounted to the frame (two loose bags of dirt)
* If it were me, I'd probably also have everyone wearing hardhats at the very least and probably also full face shields (neither is terribly expensive).

Basically, these people are imbeciles.

Back