Why Pirates Failed To Prevent The Avengers' Box Office Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
TorrentFreak wants to know how The Avengers broke box office records when there was several pirated versions of the movie floating around the net a week before the U.S. premier.

Despite the widespread availability of pirated releases, The Avengers just scored a record-breaking $200 million opening weekend at the box office. While some are baffled to see that piracy failed to crush the movie’s profits, it’s really not that surprising. Claiming a camcorded copy of a movie seriously impacts box office attendance is the same as arguing that concert bootlegs stop people from seeing artists on stage.

Never been one to even ATTEMPT to try to watch a video recorded copy of a movie. I'd much rather pay 10 dollars and see it in person than try to watch that garbage with poor A/V quality. I think the movie would have made just as much even if good quality screeners were floating around.

Haven't seen it, wonder if it's actually worth a trip to the movie theater. Haven't been there in FOREVER.

Wonder how many people paid to see the movie after watching the poor quality "screener" because they decided it was worth spending the $$ to see?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Personally, I think it's the best Marvel movie to date and I'm happy to see it doing so well. However, I'm a Joss Whedon fan, so maybe that biased me a little. Still, I thought the acting was solid and the character portrayals were pretty spot on. There were a couple of plot holes and questionable actions here and there, but the same can be said of nearly all movies, if you're looking for them. Bottom line, I went to be entertained and I was.

Avengers wasn't that great of a movie. It was average at best.
It is arguably the best super hero movie to date, in my opinion. This is comming from someone who thought Whedon would not be able to handle a project of this scale.

Wonder how many people paid to see the movie after watching the poor quality "screener" because they decided it was worth spending the $$ to see?

I was gonna say...I can explain this in four words: "Cam rips are shitty."

It is arguably the best super hero movie to date, in my opinion. This is comming from someone who thought Whedon would not be able to handle a project of this scale.

He couldn't, that's the problem.

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/05/07/avengers-marvel-iron-man/

Maybe it’s just me, but The Avengers was a letdown because those moments of soul and wit were more often drowned out by the software churning away in the background. A whole lot of supereffects, but not many three-dimensional heroes to back it up. Plenty of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/05/07/avengers-marvel-iron-man/#ixzz1uI7RRViX

But hey, if shiny things entertain you...

i d/l it, quickly went through it to make sure it was not a POS, and went to actually watch it this weekend in the theaters.

I would agree! Glad this movie lived up to its hype and they did a great job with everyone I thought. The new XD screen I saw it on at our theater was insane. It blew away my home theater that's for sure and well worth the ticket to see this.

The acting was sub par from all the characters (Mark was excellent and Robert did well playing his part) but the movie was just fun as hell to watch. Not every movie needs Godfather levels of acting for it to be enjoyable. Now well get to see the record broken again with Dark Knight Rises.

its a brainless movie over all, but that is a good thing. Its one of those shut your brain off and enjoy kind of movies. the actually managed to integrate the various super heroes together without screwing it up. its an enjoyable action flick overall. Its better on the big screen.

You must have terrible theaters near you (or a nice DMV).

$10 at the door. $10 for a bag of popcorn and soda....then you sit in a chair for 30-45 minutes being forced to watch previews for movies you would probably never see anyway. The movie is about to start then the couple with the giant hairdo sits in front of you and spends then entire flick making out or SMSing on their phone....finally you get your 90 minutes of no-plot and lots of "special-effects" that are so common today to not deserve the prefix "special".

At the DMV while there isn't popcorn or soda, you spend hours waiting in seats with all manner of people you don't want to meet waiting for your turn at the desk.

There are certain commonalities.

...then you sit in a chair for 30-45 minutes being forced to watch previews for movies you would probably never see anyway.
Forty-five minutes of previews? You don't think that your time estimate here is slightly on the high side?

No, no, NO. Y'all are missing the point. It could have had a 400million opening if it wasn't for those damn pirates! 200 million of lost revenue!!!

The thing about watching bootlegs is that it's done with something like a cell phone camera. Yea the movie is there and everything, but it's nearly unwatchable. Something like the avengers which makes good use of computer graphics is not going to be fully seen with a bootleg.

Very good chance that people who downloaded the movie would later go see it in theaters themselves. In other words piracy might have helped the success of the movie. If a movie is really good, people will want to go see it in full quality. Crap movies people never want to go see ever again.

Good movies sell, crap movies won't. What a concept.

He couldn't, that's the problem.

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/05/07/avengers-marvel-iron-man/

But hey, if shiny things entertain you...

Put your pinky down. I fully expected to be let down because I generally can't stand your average no brain action movie (Transformers). Instead I was pleasantly surprised at a well made movie and had an enjoyable time. You sound like the kind of person that its annoying to be around.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/68225/saturday-night-live-debbie-downer

$10 at the door. $10 for a bag of popcorn and soda....then you sit in a chair for 30-45 minutes being forced to watch previews for movies you would probably never see anyway. The movie is about to start then the couple with the giant hairdo sits in front of you and spends then entire flick making out or SMSing on their phone....finally you get your 90 minutes of no-plot and lots of "special-effects" that are so common today to not deserve the prefix "special".

At the DMV while there isn't popcorn or soda, you spend hours waiting in seats with all manner of people you don't want to meet waiting for your turn at the desk.

Half of what you are complaining about isn't compulsory, the rest is fairly hyperbolic. Don't show up 45 minutes early and don't buy $15 worth of concessions. Also, don't live in the Bible belt, the rest of the world doesn't have giant hairdo's. Then, go on to chose a movie you might like instead of watching ones you will not enjoy.

When you get home, you can update ur Facepage on how you actually enjoyed yourself for once instead of griping about everything.

It cost me $40 to take my girlfriend to see it in IMAX 3D. It was worth it. I cannot say that about any other movie I have ever seen.

I saw it last week and enjoyed it. Piracy has only become such a problem due to laziness on both sides (mainly the studios though).

The Film Studios being lazy producing crappy sub par movies and the public therefore being to clued up or lazy to go see them but then also not going to see some of the better movies that just get lost in the fog of apathy.

Folks wont pay to see even an average movie (an expensive evening out if its a family of four) so a movie really has to pull out all the stops to get people to go.

Maybe its time for studios to actually cut back their movie output?

Would producing just twenty four great $200 million movies that generate a billion each be better than producing 150 crap $30 million dollar ones (I'm looking at you Adam Sandler/Jennifer Anniston et al) that fail to recoup their costs?

Got to watch it in 3D last April, for roughly just $6.35, with free popcorn and drinks. It was a good deal. :)

Forty-five minutes of previews? You don't think that your time estimate here is slightly on the high side?

If you arrive early? THen yeah, theaters around here (even the new ones) have those slide show previews that often have local ads etc. Plus the previews themselves I can handle, in fact often enjoy, I don't enjoy the Fandango commercials, or the Coke commercials, or a commercial for a tv-show or any of that other non-movie crap.

I heard the 3D version was done fairly well. Most movies with 3D are tacked on after the fact and 99% of the time are terribly done (i.e. Toy Story 3).

Sounds like your theater blows goats.

We have the largest IMAX screen in the country. They do not allow people on their cellphones. If they catch you, you are booted out.

No commercials as well, they even state it before the movie starts.

Majority of the seating is stadium, so you never deal with a tall person or hair do blocking your view.

http://www.warrenimax.com/what-is-imax/

If you ruined the experience of seeing this movie by watching a shitty can version, you're an f'in moron.

Back