The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Elder Scrolls Online is coming next year? Quick, start stockpiling hot pockets, Mountain Dew and adult diapers! :D

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.

I can't imagine what a glitch and bug fest that's going to be.

Oh fuck...

Looking at the teams page they have some decent talent but a few unknowns, also probably going to use the HeroEngine (the one TOR uses)

and what happened to that Fallout MMO that got sued?

Lol if they use the hero engine there will not be any large scale PVP. Ilum in TOR was a disaster.

I'm all for it. I have yet to play a game that brought me back to the magic of EQ(bring it haters). If this does it, awesome, if not I'll still be buying and loving every single player game Bethesda releases.

I thought thats what Skyrim already was. Is it a single-player adventure game or something? The only reason to play a game like that is to enjoy it with other people. It's like WoW with better graphics, a welcome upgrade.

subscriptions = steady flow of cash = don't have to sell soul to devil to get cash to develop next game.
MMO's are very rarely successful enough to be cash cows, and are hideously expensive to develop.

Developers seem to see WoW's subscriber numbers and forget everything else

Really hope this engine is good, or at least above dx9 and make a little thought to PC would be nice...

Fans of the Elder Scrolls will be in for a shock if it doesn't follow the ES tradition of extremely imbalanced gameplay combined with utterly moronic AI and unlimited opportunities for abusive exploits.

Fans of the MMO in general will be in for a shock if it does. Imagine an MMO's players embarking enmasse on intelligence potion overpowering cycles.

I haven't really had much fun playing Bethesda's games following TES: Daggerfall. Worlds that were supposed to be grand in scope are now narrow, tiny things that, while uniquely designed, just don't seem to ignite that feeling of setting out on a massive adventure. Morrowind was okay with expansions and substantial contributions from the modding community. Oblivion was a yawnfest with an uninteresting storyline that was once again, reliant on modding and expansions to make it mediocre. Fallout 3 was actually not so bad as a standalone game and expansions from fans certainly helped, but New Vegas was disappointing to me no matter how I shook it. Skyrim is more of the same and is a wholly uninspiring thing to play.

I think what's lacking, if I were to guess, is the fact that things are pretty combat heavy and I'm just not seeking hack, slash, and nonstop killing in a supposedly epic RPG. I want more than that. I want to chatter at length with NPCs or levitate character and my horse onto the top of a house and stand around watching the sun set with guards swarming around on the ground yelling, "Halt! Halt! Halt!" because I screwed up picking some poor sod's pocket. Maybe there's something about my tastes that have changed over time (sales and reviews certainly seem to support that), but more recent games haven't been really inspiring that sort of dangling about to soak up the world. To me, it doesn't feel like the developers made them because they love the world they're creating and that shows in the game when one plays it. There's something industrial and artifical that was introduced into the formula after Daggerfall. I feel it and it nags at the back of my mind.

I hope Bethsoft does great with their MMO, but I just don't think their track record in the last decade really makes me all that interested in spending the time. There's a sea of other MMOs out there and it's hard to innovate unless one counts pushing the graphics and voice envelope. I just don't think Bethsoft can pull off a win given how cookie-cutter their recent releases have looked and felt.

I'd be willing to give it a shot. Hopefully it won't be as bad as SWTOR.

Don't want another Single Player MMO.

Bethesda didn't make New Vegas, nor are they making this.

Orly? I never bothered to look in on who made NV.

Still, what can anyone do with a MMO that's going to divide it from the pack of existing games? The design template has sadly solidified into a harvest, craft, grind for advancement/equipment/skills, fight NPCs, and PvP thing with possible use of some form of place for a group or individual to call their home.

Orly? I never bothered to look in on who made NV.

Still, what can anyone do with a MMO that's going to divide it from the pack of existing games? The design template has sadly solidified into a harvest, craft, grind for advancement/equipment/skills, fight NPCs, and PvP thing with possible use of some form of place for a group or individual to call their home.

Sadly, it has. A reintroduction of UO or DAoC style gameplay with improvements and "innovations" would be nice, but until then, we will get WoW clones.

Seems really soon to be doing something like this. Skyrim is still pretty new and I was expecting a few expansion packs over the next year or two. Sure seems like they'd be stepping on eachothers toes. I'd play it though, and I've never played an MMO before.

Sadly, it has. A reintroduction of UO or DAoC style gameplay with improvements and "innovations" would be nice, but until then, we will get WoW clones.

Here ye here ye, I miss DAoC. I miss my armsman on Galahad and midnight raiding for the relics.

I HATE modern MMOs period. The gameplay is boring. I hope this doesn't delay their next ES game. The world needs excellent single player games.

Im down to give this a shot, lets wait for some info on gameplay style before getting excited.

F2P is the wave of the future, i don't see subscription based MMO coming into this competition now lasting too long without going F2P.

F2P is the wave of the future, i don't see subscription based MMO coming into this competition now lasting too long without going F2P.

Depends honestly. Im way too lit up on percaset right now to really go into the details but a subscription can work, but honestly it needs to be CHEAPER.

Getting your skills up (eventually your character level) would be a mess to balance for a MMO, if they are going with the traditional TES system.

I'd rather budget around a set fee than probably end up paying more being nickle and dimed to death with "F2P" games. I don't feel like setting up a spreadsheet to monitor how much I've spent. If F2P games are the wave of the future it isn't because us gamers are paying less for games under that model, quite the contrary.

Depends honestly. Im way too lit up on percaset right now to really go into the details but a subscription can work, but honestly it needs to be CHEAPER.

I like Runescape's payment design. You can play a large chunk of the game for free, but if you pay a small amount ($5/mo) you get a ton more content to help that grind to 125 or whatever they made the max level now.

I like Runescape's payment design. You can play a large chunk of the game for free, but if you pay a small amount ($5/mo) you get a ton more content to help that grind to 125 or whatever they made the max level now.

i like that too

I predict two things:
1. Biggest world ever in an MMO.
2. Worst combat ever in an MMO.

I predict two things:
1. Biggest world ever in an MMO.
2. Worst combat ever in an MMO.

LOL

As much as I loved Morrowind and Skyrim (meh on Oblivion), I think you may be onto something with your predictions :p

In all seriousness though, they can't possibly make TES into an MMO and make it feel like TES. I'd put money on this game being nothing more than a cookie cutter, medieval fantasy MMO with the ability to explore all of Tamriel.

Good luck developing a world in a few years time thats bigger then EQ's... hah!

If they did it in size similar to the last 3 games, it'd likely take half a day just to walk from Morrowind to Hammerfell.

I don't have an issue with this.

If they did it in size similar to the last 3 games, it'd likely take half a day just to walk from Morrowind to Hammerfell.

I don't have an issue with this.

Me either, I enjoyed getting lost in eq, i found areas of the world that i have fond memories of. Wouldnt of found these areas if i didnt get lost.

I am excited and cautiously hopeful about how this may turn out. If they can do a good job it might be lots of fun.

Also, I agree with some of the other comments about DAoC etc. I miss Shadowbane the most, although I don't miss all the bugs they had. Mortal Online and Darkfall have tried to capture some of that old time MMO feel, but without much success IMO. WTB huge PvP centric sandbox MMO please. :D

The former is what I want and thought when I found out about this.... but like you said, the latter is more than likely what we'll get.

I'd be happy with just a full world map and the ability to play with friends on lan or dedicated servers.

Does anyone else see the irony here ... ArenaNET grabs x-DAoC devs for development of their 3 server WvW combat and Bethesda does the same thing (Matt Frior) and announces 3 realm PvP for its future MMO.

Mythic (EA) , the founders of 3 realm RvR with DAoC, on the other hand has pushed away from the concept with WAR and SWTOR because they didn't want them to be "DAoC 2".

They must be kicking themselves so badly right now.

I dont care about an MMO. If Bethesda ever stops the single-player version or have reduced it to a generic/pseudo open-world game, then I'll care (and be pissed).

Oh my, how I would love an updated version of UO. The most ruthless game of all time. Kill somebody, steal all of their stuff (I do mean all of it), hack their face off then hand it to a guard and collect a bounty.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see the uber PvP that UO had, or the houses or pets, etc. And F2P games are anything but free

Back