The GT Academy 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can totally see you guys doing this. Go grab the demo and start racing!

For the uninitiated, GT Academy gives anyone with a PS3 and a copy of the latest Gran Turismo demo a chance to compete in a time trial that leads to a reality show on Spike TV that eventually leads to a real seat in a real race car. It's not how Mario Andretti did it, but you're not Mario Andretti.

I was at Summit Point Raceway (Summit Point, WV) for Friday At The Track (aka FATT)event a few weeks ago and there was a kid there that had done this and had gotten far enough to get an all expense paid trip to England where they trained with the real cars. He said that not only was the trip a blast, but he got a ton of experience there. His performance on the track certainly reflected it...

It would be funny if I were to win. I can hear them now...

"Ok, thanks guys. Now we get to figure out how to stuff a 53 y/o 6'3" 350lb guy into a frickin' race car. Good job..."

LOL

The guy who won last year (Bryan Heitkotter) is a huge MR2 enthusiast (he owned 3 of them plus an S2000, not the type of guy that tinkers with them, just simply drives them) and is also a multiple time SCCA Solo national champion. I got to ride with him once during a local autocross and he's got tons of talent but just didn't have the means to go pro. Really happy for him to be given the opportunity.

The guy who won last year (Bryan Heitkotter) is a huge MR2 enthusiast (he owned 3 of them plus an S2000, not the type of guy that tinkers with them, just simply drives them) and is also a multiple time SCCA Solo national champion. I got to ride with him once during a local autocross and he's got tons of talent but just didn't have the means to go pro. Really happy for him to be given the opportunity.

I just have a hard time seeing a reality tv show giving him that opportunity. It's just a publicity stunt... if he wasn't noticed before with his amateur wins, then I fail to see how this will change things (unfortunately).

You said he won last year... did he "make it"?

I just have a hard time seeing a reality tv show giving him that opportunity. It's just a publicity stunt... if he wasn't noticed before with his amateur wins, then I fail to see how this will change things (unfortunately).

You said he won last year... did he "make it"?

Yeah he made it as a pro but not as high as some of the others, he's made a podium in a 24 hour race in Dubai and competed at a couple other European events. He's also a big time racing simulation guy and has spent tons of time in the GT and simulations like iRacing. So basically the "gaming" part got him into the top 16 (he was actually the quickest gamer), and the actual driving ability won him the event as he was by far the most experienced person with actual seat time there at 29 years old even though some of the younger guys were quicker in the karts and formula cars not to mention in much better fitness (Bryan never ever went to the gym). He's now racing in the top class of the Grand-Am series for a Nissan sponsored team. This reality TV thing was a first for the event (I guess they did it for Americans), I believe at least one other event was recorded but they were not televised at all. There are guys who don't have a lot of real driving experience who went on to win the event before.

Back