Facebook Adds Organ Donor Status Option

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mark Zuckerberg has just announced that you will now be able to add your organ donor status to your Facebook Timeline.

Today, more than 114,000 people in the United States, and millions more around the globe, are waiting for the heart, kidney or liver transplant that will save their lives. Many of those people – an average of 18 people per day – will die waiting, because there simply aren’t enough organ donors to meet the need. Medical experts believe that broader awareness about organ donation could go a long way toward solving this crisis. And we believe that by simply telling people that you're an organ donor, the power of sharing and connection can play an important role.

Doctor: "Im calling it. Time of death is 8:40 AM"
Nurse: "Let me check his facebook to see if he is an organ donor"

Everything in the world is becoming Bullshit.

FB wouldn't do this if these wasn't a profit angle.

Its a harmless addition that can really only help people... no need to hate.

Its a harmless addition that can really only help people... no need to hate.

It's a harmless addition that additionally does absolutely nothing at all. There's already a legal and binding function for this and it's SO INCREDIBLY SIMPLE.

This means absolutely nothing. The only thing it does is give people 'bragging rights' for being altruistic, with no guarantee that those people are actually organ donors.

It's a harmless addition that additionally does absolutely nothing at all. There's already a legal and binding function for this and it's SO INCREDIBLY SIMPLE.

This means absolutely nothing. The only thing it does is give people 'bragging rights' for being altruistic, with no guarantee that those people are actually organ donors.

harsh, but true

+1
Not legally binding.

I still fail to see how it's a problem...

You shouldn't be surprised, any article that mentions Facebook or Apple enables auto [H]ate.
It doesn't matter if it's Facebook, Google+, or Friendster. This is stupid and appeals to only the most self-serving among us.

Read the article... this stands out to me:

Starting today, you can add that you’re an organ donor to your timeline, and share your story about when, where or why you decided to become a donor.
Okay, that's nice. I'm kind of the opinion that doing something generous is pretty much negated when you brag to everybody about how awesome you are, but then again Bono can still fill a stadium, so some people must disagree with me.

Now let's look at the following sentence:
If you’re not already registered with your state or national registry and want to be, you’ll find a link to the official donor registry there as well.
Oh, wait. What? So, I can fill out this form and 'tell my story', and then if I *want to be* on the state or national registry, I can sign up. If I don't want to actually be an organ donor, well, who cares? Just tell people I am anyway.

Lemme go update my Facebook.

KatalDT has added a life event to May 2012 on his timeline: Shared that he is a POMPOUS ASS
Like * Comment * Share Your Donor Status * 1 minute ago

inb4 someone on the organ transfer list uses facebook to arange a donor before they might otherwise get one. Steve Jobs would have loved this feature.

I don't really care about the self-serving aspect (potentially) of this angle on Facebook.

The simple fact is it gets awareness for donation out where people can see it. I don't even have a Facebook, but I am in the distinct minority.

I have a friend who died waiting on a heart, and another waiting for a kidney, tied to three times weekly dialysis........

Hey it's not pleasant to think about, it's controversial when a healthy young person dies and you have to approach the family about donation........but it will save someone else's life.:D

Well said. I don't see this enlightening people about organ donation...

The point was to create social pressure. To paraphrase an article I read this morning (I think it was the NYT), the current setup asks people to make a very personal decision at the most hated place in America: the DMV.

Facebook can help take the "DMV edge" off the process, at least inasmuch as it makes the information easier to find.

Damn, you guys are cynical.

Facebook can help take the "DMV edge" off the process, at least inasmuch as it makes the information easier to find.

It also takes the "they're going to dissect me and rip my organs from my body edge" off the process, since you don't need to actually be an organ donor to post it.

Goddamn some of you are jaded. Poeple are allowed to express themseleves and their beliefs with donating. Yeah, some might lie, and some will use it to build up an image only. Who the hell cares. It makes people thing about it, which yes, is actually a great thing.

Little is more "pompous assiness' then going on a rant about something that can have no downside at all.

Now I know who I can use to harvest organs and sell on the black market. "Hey, they said they were donating organs." Thanks Facebook.

It doesn't matter if it's Facebook, Google+, or Friendster. This is stupid and appeals to only the most self-serving among us.

Read the article... this stands out to me:

Okay, that's nice. I'm kind of the opinion that doing something generous is pretty much negated when you brag to everybody about how awesome you are, but then again Bono can still fill a stadium, so some people must disagree with me.

Now let's look at the following sentence:

Oh, wait. What? So, I can fill out this form and 'tell my story', and then if I *want to be* on the state or national registry, I can sign up. If I don't want to actually be an organ donor, well, who cares? Just tell people I am anyway.

Lemme go update my Facebook.

KatalDT has added a life event to May 2012 on his timeline: Shared that he is a POMPOUS ASS
Like * Comment * Share Your Donor Status * 1 minute ago

You're right... Facebook shouldn't try to spread awareness because some people might be narcissistic about it..... Even if only a few people actually sign up BECAUSE of the awareness, it's worth it.. Facebook has ALWAYS been people who are self congratulatory. This won't change a whole lot.

Add your donor status
Add your blood type
Add your generic history
Add $100 to your health insurance because Kaiser just found out your family has a history of heart disease and are therefore "higher risk".

Not today, but it's coming.

You're right... Facebook shouldn't try to spread awareness because some people might be narcissistic about it..... Even if only a few people actually sign up BECAUSE of the awareness, it's worth it.. Facebook has ALWAYS been people who are self congratulatory. This won't change a whole lot.

Fair enough, if somebody lives because another person was peer pressured into doing something good for humanity, it's not the end of the world.

The biggest problem I see with this is that some FB user somewhere might think the above is a legit scenario and think that because they are a donor on FB they don't need to get on their state's donor registry.

http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/stateregistries.html

^ This.

Also, while it may not have a huge downside, I would by no means call this a "Life Saving Tool," as they did yesterday. I think that is why a lot of people are reacting to it harshly.

As people have said a problem is that this will divert attention away from the real registries that actual do something.

But that's not what I was thinking when I saw the headline - I was thinking how long it will take for people advertising their "I have an organ, I need an organ" status to get spam messages from Southeast Asian and North Africa like "HELLO SIR, WE ARE BEING TO HAVE MANY GOOD LUNGS AT LOW LOW PRICES, PLEASE CONTACT US AT ...".

So, Zuckerberg thinks he has everyone by the Balls, and now he wants your heart, lungs and kidney too.

Facebook is becoming a huge joke to me.

What he said ^^^^ It will have no legal standing whatsoever, and thus is a useless option.

What's next, a "My Will" page ?

On one hand I can blast this because I was thinking the button was going to be a Suicide help / I think my friend is Suicidal button.

On the other hand we need all the organ donors we can get. If this help raise awareness then I guess it can't be all bad.

I do not book my face. And you should not either unless you're a teenage girl. Just stop it.

Time to find out who to murder next.
Black market, here I come.

All we need is everyone's medical history to be posted on farcebook.

What else have the sheep not shared yet ?

You can cut out part of livers and one kidney and you won't necessarily murder someone. Just assault with bodily harm charges. Time to sign up for a Swiss bank account

It's just one more thing to talk about on a social network, which is the whole point.

Lots of people are not donors. It should really be an opt out option rather than opt in. I dont use or like facebook, but they get points for this one.

Nurse: "Let me check his facebook to see if he is an organ donor"

You have it backwards:

Nurse: "Let me check his facebook to see if he is an organ donor

This is the same thing as those people that buy hybrid versions of gas guzzlers to show how awesomely altruisitic they are. As a culture we're obsessed with proving how 'good' we are to others and this just panders to that. And I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't say the first thought I had after the initial bewildered perplexment was, "What's next?" Facebook is arguably the biggest datamining company in the world behind Google and they consistently try to squeeze out more information from their users to sell.

At this rate we don't need to follow the British example of CC cameras everywhere to spy on the populace. Why do that when corporations are able to get people to volunteer their information for free and then those corporations are interested in selling that information to whomever asks?

I see it now. . . .

You have 4 invites:
1) Pat invites you to his son's 2nd birthday (DENY)
2) Greg invites you to play crime story (DENY)
3) Robert invites you do donate a kidney (ACCEPT!!!!!)

I see it now. . . .

You have 4 invites:
1) Pat invites you to his son's 2nd birthday (DENY)
2) Greg invites you to play crime story (DENY)
3) Robert invites you do donate a kidney (ACCEPT!!!!!)

WHAT'S THE FOURTH INVITE?

Damn, the suspense...

Back