Microsoft Now Distancing Itself from CISPA

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is sending out signals that the company is reversing its stance on supporting CISPA legislation as it is now written. The bill has passed the House and now must pass the Senate and ultimately, the President, who has said the bill would be vetoed. The support from the large tech companies like Microsoft is crucial to Congressional approval and ultimate passage.

One of the key differences between CISPA and the previous (and now seemingly defunct) SOPA/PIPA bills is that CISPA had support from a number of tech companies, including Microsoft

Would not count on the veto from the prez. He said he would veto NDAA, then turns out his admin. is the ones that requested it specifically say they would detain US citizens WITHOUT due process, then signs off on it but promises not to use the power to indefinitely detain.

There was a time the politicians wouldn't have been so ballsie to try something like this again so soon.

But because of hyper-partisanism on all sides, especially in the media, nobody wants to see one of their team go because the only way they go is if there's a switch in parties. This has allowed them to become the most shameless whores ever.

The fact the 'media' is owned by some of the same concerns that want this legislation doesn't hurt either.

I am already not voting for my representative next go round. Lets see if my senator gets to keep my vote.

There was a time where politician represents the people who voted for them instead of whoever fills their checking account. Nowadays, it just feels like politicians are just lawyers and their clients are whoever that can afford them. A less corrupt politician running against someone like that without money backing is futile as they can smear any ones good name using money. Its not a matter of "will you do this", its a matter of "how much money".

Sooner or later I'm going to have to resort to saying f**k man made laws (as they get more and more retarded). The people obviously no longer have a say in it. We said no to SOPA. We don't want this either! POS politicians. Man I hope what goes around comes around is cyclically true!

Edit: Now they can indefinitely detain you AND will (legally) monitor every single word you type or say. Let me guess, the next law will say that anyone that disagrees with the corrupt ways of our government is considered a terrorist/traitor/extremist and forfeits his human rights.

Sounds to me like they're trying to stop freedom of speech and critical thinking/networking.

One of the key differences between CISPA and the previous (and now seemingly defunct) SOPA/PIPA bills is that CISPA had support from a number of tech companies

It really irks me when this happens, large multi billion dollar companies placing their stamp of approval on a bill. If a bill makes a companies life easier or they profit from it of course they're going to support it. A company's priority is simply to profit and keep their shareholders happy at any cost even if it tramples on its own employees freedoms.
How many actual individuals support this bill? Im sure if everyone in the country read this bill and voted you'd have a different outcome.
These bills that are voted on by representatives that are sponsored by corporations, we the people lose each and every time, and its only getting worse.

The bill is there cause of companies in the first place. Think some politician thought of that bill all on his own. All cause of lobbying.

Senators need term limits. Its crazy that some of these guys been in office for 60+ years.

Would not count on the veto from the prez. He said he would veto NDAA, then turns out his admin. is the ones that requested it specifically say they would detain US citizens WITHOUT due process, then signs off on it but promises not to use the power to indefinitely detain.

Once again, he said he would veto the NDAA IN ITS CURRENT FORM. He never said he would veto it outright. The NDAA is a necessity to keep our military funded - despite the other things they slip in there. He sent the NDAA back to Congress and they removed the part where Americans can be detained, and THEN he signed it. He was going to veto it as long as the American detention language was in it.

Americans being detainable was in the NDAA version Obama signed. He made them add it in.
He only said he'd veto it at all so it looked like he gave a shit. It was just misdirection.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to resort to saying f**k man made laws (as they get more and more retarded). The people obviously no longer have a say in it. We said no to SOPA. We don't want this either! POS politicians. Man I hope what goes around comes around is cyclically true!

The politicians do not have a plan to bring factory jobs back to this country. Nor do I see IT jobs and customer service jobs returning. The American people show no signs of consciously "buying American" in an attempt to support their own manufacturing base and put themselves and their neighbors to work. There is no Hail Mary pass, just an overextended line of credit and a dollar long gutted by the Federal Reserve's inflationary fiat currency.

So they better concentrate, as they are, in building the police state which will oversee our continued decline. It's gonna get ugly if the money starts drying up, might as well build the protectorate and draw the lines in the sand well ahead of time. The sooner that different catagories of people are defined the sooner you can start reinforcing stereotypes.

The most troubling aspect is the manner in which the role of judges is being relinquished, and the lack of any recourse.

Our government is so broken, we continue to have more and more rights taken away, and our government continues to fold to big business. Backwards progress for the lose.

<opinion>

What does the article say? That good all daddy Microsoft, that seem to be one of the trusted companies around here, supported CISPA but doesn't support it anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if they lobbied for it anyway - I guess it only helps their interests in smoother operation of BSA.

</opinion>

You vote with your wallet...

They'd just take a different path to the same goal.
Of course.

A little group of willful men, representing no opinion but their own, have rendered the great government of the United States helpless and contemptible.

-Woodrow Wilson

I wonder why any IT corporation would allow this to pass. Corporations could/shoulda have been an extension of the people.

This would allow gov to control the gates (the net) of the major source of their Corporate IT everyting. EG. advertising, news, sales, fanboys, etc.

When is the last time they spam tv with Microsoft ads?

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

"Give me control of a nations's NET and I care not who who owns the corporte IT, because they will listen to me or be shutdown." - Future tyrant version 2.0 sp1

Back