Microsoft Infringes Motorola Mobility Patents

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uh oh, if Microsoft doesn't pull a rabbit out of its hat by August, things could get ugly. :eek:

Microsoft said it would press on with the case. "We remain confident the commission will ultimately rule in Microsoft's favor," it said in an emailed statement. Motorola Mobility said it was pleased with the decision. "Microsoft continues to infringe Motorola Mobility's patent portfolio, and we remain confident in our position," the company said in a statement. "We look forward to the full commission's ruling in August."

I know a lot people don't care if the Xbox gets pulled from shelves, at least hear that is, but if it happens it could turn out to be really bad for the game industry as a whole in my opinion.

The XBox will never be pulled. It's almost always the situation in cases like these that either there's a slight alteration to the product to avoid the patents in question or some kind of licensing deal worked out.

This is such bullshit! How the hell does Motorola get the balls to sue Microsoft for 4 billion dollars over H.264? It's a video compression standard. This government can't allow this type of nonsense to happen in the US. The EU has FRAND so this case would be thrown out or settled for much less in Europe. Our courts need to keep that in mind for this case.

This is such bullshit! How the hell does Motorola get the balls to sue Microsoft for 4 billion dollars over H.264? It's a video compression standard. This government can't allow this type of nonsense to happen in the US. The EU has FRAND so this case would be thrown out or settled for much less in Europe. Our courts need to keep that in mind for this case.

It looks like you don't understand what "standards" are. You get a bunch of pointy haired types who negotiate who gets to stuff which patents into the standard. Then you build a compression scheme for the benefit of those patent holders. Then you hope the patent trolls not at the table don't manage to wrest control of it (since most of these are slightly modified changes of JPEG (i.e. 1980s tech) it isn't hard to have *all* the changes patented - but the patent trolls will have some pretty broad patents that were granted earlier).

Best guess is that this is payback for making more money off android than google. Tech giants are reasonably at making nicely polished "me too" products, but really good when it comes to the lawsuits. I'd be surprised if Europe really was a better place to shop for judges than East Texas.

Also, any bets as to how much of this google will have to cough back up due to microsofts sudden ownership of all that innovation by those geniuses at AOL?:eek:

I would of thought Microsoft would have all the required licenses etc for H.264?

Back