Cooler Master HAF XM Chassis

HardOCP News

[H] News
Overclockers Club has posted the first review of the new Cooler Master HAF XM chassis today. Those of you in the market for a new case will definitely want to give this review the once over.

The HAF XM gets its moment in the spot light for the CPU load temperature. Showing up on the low end is rather impressive compared to the other cases listed. I’m happy to see this even if the chipset on the other hand is a little toasty. However, the only cases that aren’t a bit warm on this graph are those with fans included on the side. Perhaps adding a couple of fans would help? Overall, it’s all good.

Got a little worried when I saw this that Coolermaster, 3 days after I finished my HAF X build had replaced it with a better case. I absolutely love the monstrous size of the HAF X. But I know of a couple people that have liked the look of it that didn't like the size. This would be the ultimate solution to that (though this still looks quite large).

Got a little worried when I saw this that Coolermaster, 3 days after I finished my HAF X build had replaced it with a better case. I absolutely love the monstrous size of the HAF X. But I know of a couple people that have liked the look of it that didn't like the size. This would be the ultimate solution to that (though this still looks quite large).

Yea it's certainly sizable, something like 9x20x22, but it's not overly big I think. I really dig the features on this case and overall it looks pretty well sorted. I do think they should at least come out with an optional side panel featuring a window.

I just built a system in a HAF X for a customer that demanded we use that case. That thing could kill an entire family if it fell over. I have never used such an excessive case.

Yea it's certainly sizable, something like 9x20x22, but it's not overly big I think. I really dig the features on this case and overall it looks pretty well sorted. I do think they should at least come out with an optional side panel featuring a window.

I should say it looks hella deep. For height they did a terrific job of shortening it without killing flexibilities or features. The only real loss here in the front is the removable bays are now 2.5 only, to make up for it they added an extra 3.5 tray internally. It also doesn't have wheels. I love my wheels.

I have the HAF-932 and I didn't realize how large it was till the box arrived.
My brother recently bought the HAF-X and it is roughly the same size.
When I saw the HAF-X in person, I regretted not getting it, since the HAF-X has the hot swap bays, and some other little things, and looks a little bit better. It was a cost issue at the time, $130 for the 932 was pushing it already. HAF-X was $180.

I don't plan on upgrading the case anytime soon, had my last case for about 8 years, a yy-0221 cube case. Only upgraded to the 932 since the Corsair H60 would have been hard to retrofit into the cube.

I just built a system in a HAF X for a customer that demanded we use that case. That thing could kill an entire family if it fell over. I have never used such an excessive case.

LoL!
I used the HAFx specifically because it is so fricking huge! I smile every time I look at the damn thing.

That is how a case should be! It should make small children run in fear! (Oh and wives shake their head in disgust)

I should say it looks hella deep. For height they did a terrific job of shortening it without killing flexibilities or features. The only real loss here in the front is the removable bays are now 2.5 only, to make up for it they added an extra 3.5 tray internally. It also doesn't have wheels. I love my wheels.

Oh wow yea, 9 inches is like Fractal Arc Midi thick, this thing is 9.9" thick so it is VERY deep.

LoL!
I used the HAFx specifically because it is so fricking huge! I smile every time I look at the damn thing.

That is how a case should be! It should make small children run in fear! (Oh and wives shake their head in disgust)

That's why I love my Caselabs

Oh wow yea, 9 inches is like Fractal Arc Midi thick, this thing is 9.9" thick so it is VERY deep.
I am talking about the measurement from front to back. Not thickness. I guess I always think of deepness as a looking at a case from the front not from the side. Cases don't change much in that way, and its only really a sense of deepness when working on it two or three times. Maybe I should have referred directly to Length.

Anyways. Instead of putting in any effort into what I might have meant if my interpretation differed from yours you went directly to sarcasm. Well even to that end. I would think a 10% increase in thickness would still be pretty substantial, even if that 10% is just another inch.

Edit: I was right from the get go. The official size is 21.5" D for Depth, which if you were talking about depth you would refer to how Deep an item was.

Which goes back to my original comment. Being Deeper then it is tall and 10% wider the an normal case will make this one short stout case.

Last edited:
I love this case. I'm disapointed that I bought my 912 last week.

The only potential design problem: No external 3.5 bays. How are you to install a 3.5" card reader?

You'll have to get one of the more pricey 5.25" versions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820176023

(although this one does have USB 3.0)

As far as I know none of the HAF units have 3.5 inch external bays. What the HAF XM loses on the HAF X, is that the HAF X has two back plated 5.25" bays that housed trays for installing 3.5 or 2.5 inch HD's. The XM forgoes support for 3.5 inch drives in those bays for 2.5" drives. Its obvious that they did it to help in the quest to reduce height, but its still one of the very few amenities it lost converting the HAF X to a mid tower.

As far as I know none of the HAF units have 3.5 inch external bays. What the HAF XM loses on the HAF X, is that the HAF X has two back plated 5.25" bays that housed trays for installing 3.5 or 2.5 inch HD's. The XM forgoes support for 3.5 inch drives in those bays for 2.5" drives. Its obvious that they did it to help in the quest to reduce height, but its still one of the very few amenities it lost converting the HAF X to a mid tower.

The 912 has a 3 1/2" external port covering, which works perfectly for card readers. (See photo)

GEDC0294.jpg

The 912 has a 3 1/2" external port covering, which works perfectly for card readers. (See photo)

GEDC0294.jpg

Ah. I wasn't sure about that from the pictures on Newegg it still looked like a 5.25

Since that is the case. The 922 has one as well. The 932 technically doesn't. But the Advanced comes with a USB3 adapter, inserted into a 5.25 cutout. You might be able to ghetto mod (or just simply screw in I have no idea) a 3.5 adapter there. But that comes at the cost of losing those USB 3 ports.

Basically split 2.5 have them 2.5 of them don't.

Also take back what I said earlier about the X-Dock stuff. It looks like they do fit 3.5 drives, just not with as much spare room as the X has.

I am talking about the measurement from front to back. Not thickness. I guess I always think of deepness as a looking at a case from the front not from the side. Cases don't change much in that way, and its only really a sense of deepness when working on it two or three times. Maybe I should have referred directly to Length.

Anyways. Instead of putting in any effort into what I might have meant if my interpretation differed from yours you went directly to sarcasm. Well even to that end. I would think a 10% increase in thickness would still be pretty substantial, even if that 10% is just another inch.

Edit: I was right from the get go. The official size is 21.5" D for Depth, which if you were talking about depth you would refer to how Deep an item was.

Which goes back to my original comment. Being Deeper then it is tall and 10% wider the an normal case will make this one short stout case.

Whoops sorry top I was thinking indeed about looking from the "Side", I really didn't mean any sarcasm I was looking at it from the side in my minds "eye" when I typed that. Did not mean to sound condesending or offensive.

And yes, with that footprint, should be very stable and solid. I already have suggested this case to a friend looking for something with hot swap bays.

EDIT - Dang... well I wasn't aware of just how long or deep this thing really is, just saw a side shot with a 7970 installed...

Last edited:
Whoops sorry top I was thinking indeed about looking from the "Side", I really didn't mean any sarcasm I was looking at it from the side in my minds "eye" when I typed that. Did not mean to sound condesending or offensive.

And yes, with that footprint, should be very stable and solid. I already have suggested this case to a friend looking for something with hot swap bays.

EDIT - Dang... well I wasn't aware of just how long or deep this thing really is, just saw a side shot with a 7970 installed...

Sorry I got a little worked up this morning when I read it, of course its harder to understand if its sarcasm over the internet. But its worse when you wake up at 3:30am and make that post at 5:30am.

I never found the HAF line attractive, the 912 probably being my favorite. But this case is even uglier imo ;p

I never found the HAF line attractive, the 912 probably being my favorite. But this case is even uglier imo ;p

Like one of the reviews says. The HAF and especially the bigger ones are a love them hate them case. I love the look, size, and features of this lineup.

I love this case. I'm disapointed that I bought my 912 last week.

The only potential design problem: No external 3.5 bays. How are you to install a 3.5" card reader?

You'll have to get one of the more pricey 5.25" versions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820176023

(although this one does have USB 3.0)

I just finished a build with the HAF XM case and had a 3.5" card reader that I wanted to use. Since there were no adapter plates for the 5.25" bays, I put it in one of the X-dock slots as you can see in the picture. Its not ideal, but I kinda like that its hidden behind a little door since a card reader is ugly to begin with. Unfortunately I am not even able to use the usb port on it because the door is in the way, but I have plenty of usb ports anyways.

IMG_20120622_012924.jpg

Back