Courts Give The Okay To Identify Pirate Bay Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another reason not to download anything from The Pirate Bay.

Chasing down individual file-sharers is something the major labels largely left behind several years ago, but in an unusual development the IFPI has now won the right to identify dozens of Pirate Bay users that allegedly downloaded and shared an album before its official release. The CEO of Universal, the label behind the action, says infringers could be taken to court.

dozens....

Feel sorry for the few suckers that are going to be made examples out of...

oh good. this is in europe, so i don't give a crap.

I love how they say they lost huge amounts of money from some bootleg album of a singer no one has heard of. They still assume that every download = lost sale.

I often download albums, listen to a few tracks, conclude album is shit, then delete it right away.
Just because i downloaded it doesn't mean I would have bought it.

“Well, it now seems like that present is turning out to be quite expensive, should they decide to send me a letter asking for money. If they do, I guess I have no other option but to pay. I’m just a poor student that can’t afford an expensive legal adviser to help me out.”

Sounds like he's (wrongly) assuming they're going to fine him $100 or something and not bend him over for several grand like they tend to do...

After monitoring the swarm, IFPI and Teosto, the Finnish Composers’ Copyright Society, went to court to obtain the personal details of the individuals behind a total of 82 IP addresses.

IFPI and Teosto convinced the Helsinki District Court that the pre-release leak cost them significant sums of money.

So 82 users IPs cost them significant sums of money? Where the fuck is the equation for that fuzzy math?

TBH I am amazed TPB came back even under a different domain they still host torrents.....not a smooth move

They still have the same problem of proving who the actual person was.

Just buy an old wifi non-protected router and open when they come calling.

Piracy is like people littering at the landfill. It hurts no one, and it's always going to exist. They should just pack it in and give up this useless battle that does nothing but piss off people. These anti piracy extremists have zero purpose to anyone.

They still have the same problem of proving who the actual person was.

Just buy an old wifi non-protected router and open when they come calling.

The person who pays the bills for the internet connection is responsible for what happens on it. That argument doesn't work.

Piracy is like people littering at the landfill. It hurts no one, and it's always going to exist. They should just pack it in and give up this useless battle that does nothing but piss off people. These anti piracy extremists have zero purpose to anyone.

I disagree... with the analogy. It does hurt some of the corporations out there in an extremely and very limited manner. Like a scratch from a tissue, on a durable spot on their skin. There are people who pirates everything, and don't buy anything, unless they absolutely have to (even with a cheap and good alternative, which btw, would solve 99% of the problem). However, I believe they are VERY few and far in-between.

Not justifying this course of actions or the actions of the RIAA/MPAA/etc. I'm a big advocate of privacy, and free internet. And this action is stupid.

They really should pack that shit up, and concentrate on real products/services that will attract more customers, instead.

You download torrents. :D

and when I say scratch, I mean like someone scratching themselves with over-clipped fingernails.

The person who pays the bills for the internet connection is responsible for what happens on it. That argument doesn't work.

I don't know what the law says in most places in Europe(well, anywhere in Europe, really), but:

https://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/court-rules-internet-ip-addresses-are-not-people/1022

"In this case, not a single one of the plaintiff’s 1.017 potential adversaries has been identified. … Moreover, VPR ignores the fact that IP subscribers are not necessarily copyright infringers."

So, maybe not.

You download torrents. :D

Pretty sure it's just magnet links now, though I'm not sure what distinction that makes in legal terms.

Well it didn't work with my lawsuit. Comcast was forced to turn over my personal information to the plaintiff.

Pretty sure it's just magnet links now, though I'm not sure what distinction that makes in legal terms.

Oh? Did they fully switch over then? I thought they were using direct torrents still.

Oh! Just checked, magnet links for it. Huh. Guess that's what happen when you stay up to date with these things. But upon closer observation, they still have torrents links next to their magnet links.

Still, I'm sure they'll try to get TPB on facilitating illegal p2p/piracy.

Which will probably be the next legal tiff, legality of things like magnet links.

Torrents are technically legal.
TPB sux anyways.
Most torrent sites nowadays are infested with malware too.
Just forget about em.

TPB sux anyways.
Just forget about em.

That's funny, I've never gotten malware from a torrent site. Guess it must be a PEBKAC issue...

Still, I'm sure they'll try to get TPB on facilitating illegal p2p/piracy.

I'm sure they will too. The interesting thing will be if media companies try to ban 'links' to 'media content' b/c that would pretty much potentially brake the entire Internet. No images, music, videos, pictures without express written consent of ___ which takes x time to get consent and consent may never come? Haha, that would be funny to see happen.

TPB sux anyways.
Just forget about em.

.torrent files yes. Magnet links, links to anything that says they specifically are legal? I could personally care less if they are or are not, just curious overall if there is anything saying they are or not.

.torrent files yes. Magnet links, links to anything that says they specifically are legal? I could personally care less if they are or are not, just curious overall if there is anything saying they are or not.

http://techie-buzz.com/featured/what-are-magnet-links-download-magnet-links.html

What are Magnet Links? What’s the Difference Between Magnet Links and Torrents?

Magnet Links change the fundamental way in which we download from peer-to-peer networks. Unlike Torrents, which needed a centralized server for tracking purposes, magnet links directly download content from other peers thus getting rid of the centralized server for tracking seeds and peers.

So basically it's no different from .torrent in legality except, unlike .torrent, they are not even hosted on the site.

TPB sux anyways.
Just forget about em.

TPB is actually pretty good as they'll take down anything that has malware in it. You can also read the comments to see if anyone reports they got a virus. If the coments lean towards it being good, then you know it should be decent.

They are hosted though, aren't they? They just don't require a server like torrents do. It seems like it's all p2p, without a server to connect them all.

Err, yeah. No tracker hosted, not the file itself. Though technically I don't even think a magnet link is a "file" like a .torrent.

Whoops, my bad. Tracker, not server. And I see... I havne't really looked up magnet links stuff at all. Though, a quick skimming of MavericK96's link seems to point to it not even having a file either.

Yeah, from what I understand it's basically just a link based on the hash tag of whatever data is contained in the P2P files.

Example magnet link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:3e16157f0879eb43e9e51f45d485feff90a77283&dn=Ubuntu+10.04+LTS+x32&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80

(no scare, it's for ubuntu :rolleyes:)

As you can see it's just the hash of the torrent optionally along with any trackers they wish to embed in to the link as well.

Back