Microsoft Beats Estimates with $17.4 Billion in Revenue

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple may be knocking them dead in earnings, but according to the new report on third quarter earnings, Microsoft isn’t doing too shabby either. Microsoft was able to beat the analyst estimates of $17.15 Billion with $17.41 Billion in revenue.

Microsoft says this is a record for third-quarter revenue, up 6 percent from the same period last year.

... yet they feel the need to blow away everything about their Windows OS and start from scratch.

Expect to see their earnings for the quarter when windows 8 is released to be a tiny fraction of this. Windows 8 is looking to be the worst user experience they've hatched yet.

Expect to see their earnings for the quarter when windows 8 is released to be a tiny fraction of this. Windows 8 is looking to be the worst user experience they've hatched yet.

From what I'm seeing of most analysts expectations they are expecting Microsoft's revenue and profitability to increase with the launch of Windows 8.

... yet they feel the need to blow away everything about their Windows OS and start from scratch.

They aren't really starting from scratch, Microsoft is trying to make Windows work well on tablets and touch devices while retaining everything already there, at least on x86 hardware.

It's amazing how people latch on to misinformation.

Windows 8 is not a complete redesign of Windows. If you've used the consumer preview, you know that it's basically Win 7 (with some nice tweaks here and there, and some major overhauls that are long overdue, but have minimal effect on the user interface)

The new interface that everyone seems to associate with Win8 is NOT THE INTERFACE (most) PEOPLE WILL USE ON DESKTOP MACHINES.

It's just that simple.

This OS release is about unifying the phone, tablet, laptop and desktop OS. It's not about forcing everyone to use a specific UI, since a traditional UI does not lend its self well to touch input.

Anyway, rant over. Win 8 will not be spectacular, but it's a meaningful step in an important direction, and if there's one thing MS has a lot of, it's R&D in touch interface design. They've been playing with touch devices for at least the last 10 years.

It's amazing how people latch on to misinformation.

Windows 8 is not a complete redesign of Windows. If you've used the consumer preview, you know that it's basically Win 7 (with some nice tweaks here and there, and some major overhauls that are long overdue, but have minimal effect on the user interface)

The new interface that everyone seems to associate with Win8 is NOT THE INTERFACE (most) PEOPLE WILL USE ON DESKTOP MACHINES.

It's just that simple.

This OS release is about unifying the phone, tablet, laptop and desktop OS. It's not about forcing everyone to use a specific UI, since a traditional UI does not lend its self well to touch input.

Anyway, rant over. Win 8 will not be spectacular, but it's a meaningful step in an important direction, and if there's one thing MS has a lot of, it's R&D in touch interface design. They've been playing with touch devices for at least the last 10 years.

Microsoft is forcing the issue of the new Start Screen and pieces of the Metro UI do show up on the desktop. I think that a thing that also isn't well thought out by many is that touch friendly applications DON'T have to be Metro, they can be regular desktop programs, they would just need a touch friendly UI and even today there are a few there are a few desktop programs like that, there's actually a number of games that are touch friendly and also work well with a mouse like the Angry Bird series.

At least on x86 machines Microsoft is really providing a kitchen sink in Windows 8. x86 Windows 8 is the most complex and complete desktop/tablet OS ever developed. It's basically a combination of everything people like with tablets and phones and desktops and laptops. All of the power and complexity and change may indeed not be spectacular, but again on x86 machines Windows 8 is everything. It's technically quite an achievement.

you couldn't be more wrong and you're coming off as a whining child that didn't get his way.

I fail to see the whine.

I'll get you some cheese right away, Sir.

In all honesty, I think Windows 8 will be better than people are expecting or complaining about. While I love my andriod phone and andriod OS, I wouldn't be impartial to being able to install on my phone using ARM some version of Windows 8 and then possibly being able to considerably more powerful remote-desktop my PC at home using my phone, tablets or laptop, etc.

The potential of Windows 8's successor are quite great by having Windows 8 being able to run on all my devices. I imagine Windows 8 won't be that huge of a success as far as I am concerned just b/c I haven't spent the money yet to actually buy a tablet as I see them as being 'expensive toys' rather than practical products. IE, I'm the consumer that would prefer the much-more application-friendly (IMHO) laptop that can do more in terms of video gaming, media and productivity than a tablet with less money spent on software.

What might convince me to actually purchase a tablet would be it being able to run a 'real' OS as opposed to say a iPad with the iPhone OS. I think a LOT of people who are even Apple fans are thinking it would be nice to have Snow Leopard or something run on a Tablet that's NOT iOS.

With that being said, it would be interesting if shortly after or before Windows 8 is released that runs on tablets, phones, laptops, etc -- if Apple tries to release a 'real OS' update for their Tablet devices.

One thing that you have to consider about Windows 8's success is the new generation of hardware that is coming, the OS is just part of it. There are probably going to be a lot of touch screen devices including laptops and tablet/laptop hybrids that will have significantly better battery life than current hardware along with improved performance.

Windows 8 is a big change in the OS and it's going to be accompanied by a big change in hardware as well and it's this new hardware that's going to drive Windows 8 sales perhaps in a way more than Windows 8 itself.

God forbid independent thought and opinion.

Uhm, his original thought is more the mainstream in [H] regarding win 8 than independent. It's those not crying the end of the MS due to win8 that is the minority.

Uhm, his original thought is more the mainstream in [H] regarding win 8 than independent. It's those not crying the end of the MS due to win8 that is the minority.

Thel abeling another opinion as whining is what I was getting at.

This is so wrong. Depending on how much MS breaks into the tablet market and solves a few UI issues in Desktops/Laptops they will do very good. Worse case MS can continue with Win 7 sales for a amount of time like they did with XP and Vista release window.

I expect Win8 to be amazing for the consumer side, I can't wait to see what they plan for the business side, but I hope its not metro.

I expect Win8 to be amazing for the consumer side, I can't wait to see what they plan for the business side, but I hope its not metro.

Microsoft has already outlined what's going to be in Windows 8 Enterprise: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...e-assurance-for-today-s-modern-workforce.aspx

New Windows 8 App Deployment: Domain joined PCs and tablets running Windows 8 Enterprise will automatically be enabled to side-load internal, Windows 8 Metro style apps.

So yes, Metro is for business and it kind of makes a lot of sense. If you are a business and want to develop tablet applications, you can do so using your existing Windows developers and tools.

People keep hammering on the Metro is a no go for business and productivity but that simply makes no sense considering how big of a push the iPad has made into businesses. At least with Metro you now have a consistent UI across all devices and tablets, laptops and desktops can all run the same applications, even desktop apps on tablets if they are x86 based.

Thanks for the link, and I'm not liking the metro for what I would be doing, we will see I guess.

As Microsoft shareholder I would like to thank the Linux community for sucking so hard in the Desktop and productivity software market segment to make this success possible. Thanks again console-promot-lovers, we couldn't have done it without you! Much <3!

from what i know u can just disable the metro and use the plain old desktop....donno why people cry about.Yes they are pushing this in your face,but they give u the other option also.If windows 8 would be 100 % metro than i couldnt care less about it .

Back