NBC to Stream London 2012 Summer Olympics Live Online

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Are you ready for the Summer Olympics? NBC has been doing preparations to cover all of the events in London and surrounding venues and will be live streaming all of the events. Get ready for the summer of Olympic competition beginning with the opening ceremonies on July 27th.

The London 2012 Summer Olympics is expected to be the hot spot for technology this summer as Visa and Samsung prepare to launch an Olympics and Paralympics Games mobile handset with NFC technology.

So that's why London has all those cameras stationed around the city... oh, wait, those aren't NBC's ;)

Summer Olympics already. Wow, time flies.

I hope they show all the sports, not just the mainstream boring track and field/swimming ones.

10:1 the only reason NBC is doing this is a) Due to the time difference it's not much different than showing them live in the US, and b) as a test bed for next Olympics when they'll start charging for the streaming service (at least the good ol US!)

Everything Olympics what pisses me off the most is the fact that when it's local, it's always time delayed because they want to maximize revenue for commercial spots. Oh yeah love it when they actually do a news broadcast on the same damn station and tell you "Oh if you don't want to know the winners don't look..." yeah fuck you, I'd like to know the winners but I wanted to see the winning when it happened!

I can see it now, gymnastics and swimming, gymnastics and swimming and more gymnastics and swimming. This is the reason I do not watch the Olympics, no marathon or 5k/10k track coverage, ever.

I can see it now, gymnastics and swimming, gymnastics and swimming and more gymnastics and swimming. This is the reason I do not watch the Olympics, no marathon or 5k/10k track coverage, ever.

This.

I didn't even turn on the last Winter Olympics...and the last summer Olympics was only watched for the opening ceremony, it got turned off once I saw how NBC was only doing fluff stories with minimal sporting content.

Don't plan on watching this years Olympics much either, even for cycling and other events I'd be interested in. NBC does that terrible a job with their exclusive USA broadcast rights that they can stuff it

We still do the Olympics? I thought we quit that krap in the 80's.

I would to watch the Olympics, but I'll eat a yard of my own shit before I sit through the commercials. I gave up on the Olympics over a decade ago because of the unholy amount of commercials. And I gave upon TV in general over two decades ago for similar reasons. Commercials plus 5he fact that close to 100% of television programming does nothing but ruin lives and minds.

We still do the Olympics? I thought we quit that krap in the 80's.

Are you jealous that they are athletic and you aren't? :p

I totally forgot about olympics, at least there will be something to watch on TV this summer :)

welcome to canada in 2010 vancouver olympics. All 4 channels was also streamed on the web with full PVR ability too. Was AMAZING.

If they let you watch any event live as well as finished events (without commercials), that would be worth paying for.

Archery, shooting, and Sailing for me
might try and watch Equestrian stuff too

welcome to canada in 2010 vancouver olympics. All 4 channels was also streamed on the web with full PVR ability too. Was AMAZING.

to bad here in the US the online streams were delayed by DAYS in some cases RAGE

The best thing about online streaming is that they do tend to show events that are not on television. A lot of pessimistic people here, but I think this is a good thing. And I don't think they are testing the market for paid streaming next time around. If anything, online coverage is becoming more commonplace as more people have better bandwidth.

I watched hours and hours of the Masters golf tournament a few weeks back online, groups that were never seen on regular tv broadcast. If anything, the quality and coverage is improved every year.

The best thing about online streaming is that they do tend to show events that are not on television. A lot of pessimistic people here, but I think this is a good thing. And I don't think they are testing the market for paid streaming next time around. If anything, online coverage is becoming more commonplace as more people have better bandwidth.

I watched hours and hours of the Masters golf tournament a few weeks back online, groups that were never seen on regular tv broadcast. If anything, the quality and coverage is improved every year.

Streaming in general seems to get better...but NBC always manages to take a 2-ton dump and not flush when it comes to their USA-exclusive Olympics coverage. Oh. And they file take-down orders fast when there's any less-than-legal streaming that does a better job than theirs.

10:1 the only reason NBC is doing this is a) Due to the time difference it's not much different than showing them live in the US, and b) as a test bed for next Olympics when they'll start charging for the streaming service (at least the good ol US!)

Everything Olympics what pisses me off the most is the fact that when it's local, it's always time delayed because they want to maximize revenue for commercial spots. Oh yeah love it when they actually do a news broadcast on the same damn station and tell you "Oh if you don't want to know the winners don't look..." yeah fuck you, I'd like to know the winners but I wanted to see the winning when it happened!

There's something to what you wrote, but I think the key is that they realize that if they don't offer it online, then people that want it live will get it on some other site (e.g. justin). What's more, there's nothing to prevent them from having advertising throughout the webcast(s) (or simply incorporating them in a scrawl on the bottom of the screen.

Things are changing. If you wanted to watch Woodstock in 94 or 99, you had to go to PPV. Last weekend, Coachella was free on Youtube. Lolapalooza will likely be on youtube too. I don't know if Bonaroo does it or not. For now, advertising is virtually nonexistent, but eventually they'll figure out how to pay for it.

I choose to believe that NBC is realizing that webcasts make it possible for people to watch/listen to their coverage everywhere. I think eventually they'll do it even if it's in the U.S.

There's something to what you wrote, but I think the key is that they realize that if they don't offer it online, then people that want it live will get it on some other site (e.g. justin).

NBC is quite draconian in shutting down streaming in the USA. They have a very delicious billions-of-dollar exclusive broadcast deal in the US for the Olympics, and get take down orders sent out quick to kill streams posted on Justin and other sites.

So no, NBC doesn't care about competitions as it is illegal and they just get it shut down.

I absolutely hated that during the Beijing games; I still remember ESPN showing a live update of Usain Bolt breaking the 100m record update on SportsCenter but of course NBC was too busy showing soap operas and delaying the coverage to prime time.

Back