15-Year-Old Arrested for Hacking 259 Companies

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Somebody needs to get this kid a new hobby and I don’t mean watching reruns of War Games or Hackers videos. A 15-year-old student was caught after a three month spree where he breached 259 firms on the Internet. His spree ended only after his anonymizing software failed and his IP address was exposed.

The young man reportedly admitted to being responsible, saying that he was bored and wanted to prove himself.

script kiddie using simple know exploits nothing to see here

Hire him? For what? He knows probably little, just used some software to scan for known vulnerabilities and used the same / other software to hack them. He doesn't even know how to keep his IP hidden apparently.

I agree with the script kiddie comment.

script kiddie using simple know exploits nothing to see here

I know right. I don't understand why they constantly try to label these kiddies as hackers. True hackers write their own software and/or have a very high level understanding of Windows inner workings and understand how to use exploits. These kids run a script they got from some shady place and installed it on mommys computer.

You want to know what true hacking is, the people who wrote and deployed Stuxnet were true hackers. They wrote one of the most sophisticated targeted malware to find specific hardware configurations and damage it. Amazing stuff.

Arrested? They should hire him.
why?from the sounds of things he did nothing of any skill. Googled an exploit and used exploit on any and every website he could find that it would work on and got busted because he didnt know how to properly use the anon software he also googled up.

That brings to mind the scene in Hackers where the FBI comes to get Phantom Phreak, and his mother starts beating him with a shoe. (sigh)...good times...:p

If a simple script kiddie was able to hack 259 companies, why aren't companies hacked more often? Going by the logic here, anonymous consists of millions of script kiddies, so we should expect millions of websites to get hacked daily, right?

If a simple script kiddie was able to hack 259 companies, why aren't companies hacked more often? Going by the logic here, anonymous consists of millions of script kiddies, so we should expect millions of websites to get hacked daily, right?

Tons of websites do get hacked daily. I should know, I scan and clean a metric crap load of injected WordPresses and Joomlas every day.

Even [h] had problems in the past a zero day released to script kiddies makes for a massacre then patches go out, rinse and repeat

Most websites don't make Internet-wide news when they get compromised. The Internet is filled with poorly secured databases and web servers, most run by very small and naive businesses, that can be exploited by anyone with the ability to search Google.

You could go "hack" 259 companies too. Go snuggle up behind a proxy, search for some exploit scripts, and just mash your face against the keyboard on a bunch of random sites.

The only thing that makes this kid notable is that it was apparently all he did for months. Most script kiddies aren't stupid enough to be that prolific.

Back