IKEA Announces Furniture With Built-In Smart TV

Where's the HTPC, the video game consoles, the media player and the 5.1 Surround sound amplifier?

I imaging there would be a few more cables once everyting else is connected.

This is primarily for those people who would rather buy a COTS solution. Whereas people like us fabricate our own solutions because we can.

Sweden tends to produce simple aesthetic styles with a high utility, and Americans tend to be involved with momentary trends and fashions. Dare I say, Americans tend to not have a highly developed aesthetic sense.

Sweden tends to produce simple aesthetic styles with a high utility, and Americans tend to be involved with momentary trends and fashions. Dare I say, Americans tend to not have a highly developed aesthetic sense.

You can dare to say that, but that would clearly be a false premise. The US is one of the primary leaders in design aesthetics in the world. Look at how many design houses alone occupy the US. The US is an ID (industrial design) innovator.

You can dare to say that, but that would clearly be a false premise. The US is one of the primary leaders in design aesthetics in the world. Look at how many design houses alone occupy the US. The US is an ID (industrial design) innovator.

America believes it is a leader in everything. I'm not quite sure how you can lead "aesthetics."

Sorry, but you're wrong Methadras. MANY MANY of the design ideas and concepts that you see today, including how many houses and industrial buildings are built, and other industrial design, is HEAVILY influenced by the works and ideas of the Bauhaus and the designers that they trained (possibly the most famous design school, German, closed in 1933) and swiss design principals, mainly the modernism design movement. The idea of modern skyscrapers using glass as a facade, or using industrial elements as part of the design asthetics? Bahaus. Most of the modern typography ideas in-use in designs today, are Swiss (International Typographic Style). Do you like Helvetica, the single most commonly used typeface, ever? Swiss

Many US designers are HEAVILY influenced by the thoughts and ideas of design, including industrial design, came out of Switzerland and Germany, even today. ;)
Good design is timeless, and the Swiss and Germans just know how to do it.
The design firms you mention may be in the US, but I guarantee most of the principals they base their design ideas on are influenced by the Bauhaus.

And some how a post about a horribly ugly all-in-one media center becomes a "My country is better then your country" pissing match. :rolleyes:

Well they people they are aiming this product probably won't buy it because most likely they already have a tv and will only upgrade their tv once it breaks or something.

The TV isn't an different than most TVs - it is rectangular and has a mostly screen area. The table is like many tables, with the exception that is more functional. What is hilarious is that all of you cannot get past the aesthetic of the advertising scheme. Such sheep...

Do these picture make you guys feel any more comfortable? I suppose Swedish women in dresses like that just don't do it for you, eh? Or maybe the blue tint is too much for you to bear?

Ikea-Uppleva-1-610x406.jpg

(.. and I wonder why US advertising sucks so much, we have to sell our crud to you people... )

(I meant the blue tint of the originally posted commercial, not the blue color of the above screen.)

I have to agree with others in this thread, their shit is ugly as is almost all of Ikea's cheaply made products. Seriously, all their shit looks the same, there is no variety at all. Say what you want about American furniture design, but at least you have some damn options that dont all look the same.

The TV isn't an different than most TVs - it is rectangular and has a mostly screen area. The table is like many tables, with the exception that is more functional. What is hilarious is that all of you cannot get past the aesthetic of the advertising scheme. Such sheep...

Funny you call those being critical of it sheep, have you been to an Ikea lately?

If you love this TV so much, why don't you marry it?

It's a TV and a storage cabinet for fuck's sake. How is it ugly? Why are you guys so concerned with how it appears? Flat-screen TVs pretty much all look the same. Storage cabinets, well? Would it appeal any more to you if it were triangular?

1960's called they want their TV back?

You mean when electronics were actually considering part of an overall design scheme... so, a compliment?

I think it's pretty cool and would probably consider if the specs and price was good. I was just looking at vintage TVs at the Museum of Moving Images in NYC and was thinking, damn, I wished they'd make artfully-designed electronics that was integrated into an overal aestetic still.

Do these picture make you guys feel any more comfortable? I suppose Swedish women in dresses like that just don't do it for you, eh? Or maybe the blue tint is too much for you to bear?

Ikea-Uppleva-1-610x406.jpg

(.. and I wonder why US advertising sucks so much, we have to sell our crud to you people... )

I don't want white/grey, I don't want an all in one unit, I would like a better TV, I already own far better audio equipment, I prefer a hardwood with stain, I don't want "storage" - I want something semi functional as an entertainment center, I don't want pink hats and ribbons, I don't want cheaply made IKEA products.

It simply isn't pretty to me. I don't care about the marketing, the Swedish woman, or your personal aesthetic taste. If that makes me sheep, grab some wool and get to taxing.

I don't want white/grey, I don't want an all in one unit, I would like a better TV, I already own far better audio equipment, I prefer a hardwood with stain, I don't want "storage" - I want something semi functional as an entertainment center, I don't want pink hats and ribbons, I don't want cheaply made IKEA products.

It simply isn't pretty to me. I don't care about the marketing, the Swedish woman, or your personal aesthetic taste. If that makes me sheep, grab some wool and get to taxing.

Well, I suppose an all-in-one TV/Table/Cabinet solution is not up your alley. You were the one that said it was ugly. I never said a thing about how it looked. I can simply appreciate minimalism.

You guys are sheepish and were influenced to a high degree by the advertising. Whatever you think of Ikea is quite beside the point.

America believes it is a leader in everything. I'm not quite sure how you can lead "aesthetics."

Nearly every modern convenience you see in this world is nearly due to American innovation and ingenuity. Leading in aesthetics and industrial design is a subjective thing, but when you have major design firms in the US winning awards all the time, it can be said with confidence that we do lead in aesthetic design work.

I have to agree with others in this thread, their shit is ugly as is almost all of Ikea's cheaply made products. Seriously, all their shit looks the same, there is no variety at all. Say what you want about American furniture design, but at least you have some damn options that dont all look the same.

IKEA stuff might be cheap, but it's cheap enough to mod and beautify if necessary. :D

Nearly every modern convenience you see in this world is nearly due to American innovation and ingenuity. Leading in aesthetics and industrial design is a subjective thing, but when you have major design firms in the US winning awards all the time, it can be said with confidence that we do lead in aesthetic design work.

.. and it is this type of American hubris that will likely lead to our fall ..

The reality is that aesthetics are a competitive category. We are talking about beauty, here. Art. I do not find most of America all that aesthetically appealing. Our advertising is stale and sold-out, our buildings and dwellings are typically and repetitive, and we do not, as a whole, care about the protecting the great national beauty of our country. Other countries have a much higher integration of pleasing and noble designs in their daily lives, and, ostensibly, leading the world in "aesthetic design" does not change that reality.

I meant the reality is that aesthetics are not a competitive category. I also meant typical, not typically.

Back