Samsung Confirms Windows Phone 8 for October

Anyone else think they might be making up for the fact that the SGS3 could be way late this year (if they make one at all, it'd have to be based on Qualcomm silicon if it's coming soon). Or that maybe they're being motivated to push WP harder this year? Wouldn't be out of the ordinary for MS, and manufacturers have been pretty soft on pushing WP (outside of Nokia obviously).

Apple/Jobs went about it all wrong with their lawsuits, they haven't gained much or resolved half of them, meanwhile MS has been making money off Android phone sales for months since they got just about every manufacturer into licensing agreements.

Everyone sees the writing that Windows Phone 8 is where Microsoft will make a major push. Putting out a phone then (except if you're Nokia) is a lost cause since no company wants to put in the money for marketing to get positive results out it.

I would love it if you could get the same hardware going with a choice of OS between Windows and Android. Obviously, they'd come prepackaged with one or the other, but my whole reason for not really giving the current Windows offerings the time of day, is because it seems to only be offered on low/mid-range phones.

I haven't researched this too much, so I wonder if Samsung already has something like that in mind?

Verizon is still paying off the Kin gamble I bet, or making MS pay for it.

Not one compelling offering for WP on verizon. :mad:

Oh, there's a lot of compelling reasons to go for Windows 8 Phones for Verizon, one of which is Windows 8 tablets.

Windows 8 is a true bet the company product, one in which Microsoft is without question compelled to do most any and everything to make a financial success not only for itself but it's partners. And the I do think that it's very interesting that less that week after Nokia launched the 900 that Samsung is confirming this.

I think then it's all said and done the 900 will be something of a huge cult success and will do what it needed to do, and that more than big sales numbers, bring some interest to Windows Phones and it looks that Nokia and Microsoft did that. I mean, the phone is basically $100 or free, which was my case. For $0 this is fantastic phone. For a $100 it's still a great phone. I'm thing the Nokia Apollo phones are going to be extra special. Phones are getting competitive and Android is obviously king but Windows Phone does represent something different and with Microsoft putting all of its eggs in one basket from the desktop to phones and having to do whatever it takes to make Windows 8 do well across every computing device used by average humans, I think every carrier and OEM will take a piece of that action.

Oh, there's a lot of compelling reasons to go for Windows 8 Phones for Verizon, one of which is Windows 8 tablets.

Windows 8 is a true bet the company product, one in which Microsoft is without question compelled to do most any and everything to make a financial success not only for itself but it's partners. And the I do think that it's very interesting that less that week after Nokia launched the 900 that Samsung is confirming this.

I think then it's all said and done the 900 will be something of a huge cult success and will do what it needed to do, and that more than big sales numbers, bring some interest to Windows Phones and it looks that Nokia and Microsoft did that. I mean, the phone is basically $100 or free, which was my case. For $0 this is fantastic phone. For a $100 it's still a great phone. I'm thing the Nokia Apollo phones are going to be extra special. Phones are getting competitive and Android is obviously king but Windows Phone does represent something different and with Microsoft putting all of its eggs in one basket from the desktop to phones and having to do whatever it takes to make Windows 8 do well across every computing device used by average humans, I think every carrier and OEM will take a piece of that action.
WADR none of this matters right now. There are no Windows Phones worth a darn on Verizon. And by that, I mean there is one, the Trophy by HTC. I like my Droid 2, and it has served me well, but the battery has a few dead cells in it, and I'm coming up on upgrade day (August). WP8 is nowhere in sight, and Verizon has been completely mum on any new WP hardware.
I would hate to switch from Verizon (I still have my Best Buy employee discount even after leaving about 5 years ago), but I would really like a WP.

Not one compelling offering for WP on verizon. :mad:

HTC Trophy is what I use. Not the greatest, but I keep bitching that Verizon will have the Lumia 900 in 2015, about the same time difference as they had with a WP7 device after they officially launched from Microsoft... Verizon has good service around here, just really crappy phone selection.

I really with they'd offer more WP7 devices. They push you away from them if you want to buy one, too. They tried to switch me to an Android or an iPhone, but I kept telling them I wanted the WP7...

Everyone has been saying WP7 is going to take market share from iOS and Android... Everyone said WP7 was it, now its WP8 and nokia... This has been going on for over a year.

My opinion is that MS already lost, waaay to late to the party. They probably will be able to keep afloat, but I don't think they will EVER break #3 (they could bump BB), they will always be a distant 3rd imho.

WP7/8 will NEVER generate the buzz Apple has, Android is all over the market and has grown where the app store #s don't matter anymore.

The ONLY change WP has is to replace BB in the business market and it is even behind in that with iOS/android supporting MS activesync technology and having larger market share already. Many companies I know are in the process of converting support to these devices (at some level).

I am not saying WP7/8 is not a good solution etc, it just so late to the game I don't think even MS can over-come it.

People often forget this but Microsoft was in the mobile phone arena years before Apple and Google. Microsoft just stopped trying for whatever reason and never dedicated much effort to Windows Mobile.

Windows 8 is the complete opposite and Microsoft is pretty much belting the company on mobile by essentially creating a single platform that runs and looks the same across desktops, laptaps, tablets and phones.

Almost without question there will tens of hundreds of millions Windows 8 devices in the coming year and developing for those devices will be almost the same as developing for the phone. Indeed at some point over the next two years Windows and Windows Phone will probably become truly one in the same.

With the unification of the Windows platform with a zillion devices I don't see how Microsoft can't be significant in mobile. Dominant, probably not just as Apple will probably never be dominant on the desktop, that hasn't stopped Apple from having a lot of significance on the desktop.

We simply won't have a good idea how this will all play out probably for another year at the least. Windows 8, both desktop and mobile, is an extremely ambitious, complex and controversial effort. Nothing on this scale has ever been attempted before and it is anyone's guess as to how successful or not Windows 8 will be.

Good point heat. Looks like I will wait until they have some demos in the store to play with. Then I will make my decision if I should upgrade to wp8 or not. But it looks like there will be a lot of phones coming out in 2013.. hmmm (on the iphone 4)

The mobile race is far from over imo... Android caused a splash in a very short amount of time, all it takes is one underwhelming launch by Apple or a good round of modestly priced WP models and MS could easily steal substantial market share from either side, and they've carefully positioned WP so it actually appeals to iOS AND Android users alike. They're in it for the long haul and they've got the cash to keep luring OEMs and devs thru multiple false starts.

Back