CISPA Sounds A Lot Like SOPA

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear politicians, thank you for continually reminding us who desperately needs to be removed from office. Thanks to all the [H] readers of legal voting age that sent this one in! ;)

CISPA's primary function is to remove legal barriers that might keep Internet companies from giving all your communication and information to the government. It allows "cyber entities" (such as Internet service providers, social networks like Facebook and cell phone companies like AT&T) to circumvent Internet privacy laws when they're pressured by Homeland Security to hand over or shut down -- well, almost anything of yours online that the government wants, no warrant needed.

Once again the Teapublicans are trying to rape the 99%. Fucking corporate whores!

"Land of the free" was it? Not so much lately I'd say. The way things are going it looks like the politicians won't quit until they turned US into a police state.

Once again the Teapublicans are trying to rape the 99%. Fucking corporate whores!

Bull F-ing crap. This is from both sides of the incompetent isles, not from either particular party. All those involved received huge "donations" from RIAA and MPAA. This is all about rich old men wanting to get richer.

The Tea Party is about reducing government spending so that hard working citizens, who pay their taxes, including me who makes less than $60k/year, and sending it to "poor" people who refuse to do a single freaking day of work in their life, paying for their food (better than I eat), medical care (more than I get), and housing (better than I live in). I'm sick of Democrat robbers who take a quarter of my pay and give it to the thieves in the form of welfare, Medicare, and HUD.

*ANGRY RED FACED RANT ABOUT POLITICS!*

This is SOPA, very few things addressed, has the same basic power of SOPA, do not want :(

Facebook being allowed to do what they want with everyone's data "in the name of security"? no more calls of privacy violations? no wonder they support it... and microsoft.. and ibm... and I bet before long google will too after the amount of bitching over the merging of databases they did.

Bull F-ing crap. This is from both sides of the incompetent isles, not from either particular party. All those involved received huge "donations" from RIAA and MPAA. This is all about rich old men wanting to get richer.

+1

I'm against this, but I still believe you're a moron if you think they can't get the information they want anyways. They just can't threaten you with it if it's not obtained legally.

not term limits, campaign donation limits. That's what paid for this.

^^ this. FCC governs airways, make it so that candidates who have minimum number of signatures get free ads since broadcasters are leasing airways from the people anyhow. No campaign contributions at all, no "benefit" packages at all, no corporate subsidies at all, No adverts by 3rd party entities. Draconian to say the least, but sure would make campaigns about their content rather than who has most money to spend on ads, negative ads etc.

I really hate how most politicians are blatantly in someone's pocket. They don't even seem to try and hide it anymore.

Yet another day which sinks my faith in any government elected official ever. We could take everyone in congress and execute them, only to have the next bunch of monkeys that replace them do the same fucking thing.

The Tea Party is about reducing government spending so that hard working citizens, who pay their taxes, including me who makes less than $60k/year, and sending it to "poor" people who refuse to do a single freaking day of work in their life, paying for their food (better than I eat), medical care (more than I get), and housing (better than I live in). I'm sick of Democrat robbers who take a quarter of my pay and give it to the thieves in the form of welfare, Medicare, and HUD.

I'm sure that demonizing millions of people as lazy, thieving ingrates is a great way to rally support for your cause.

You're ignoring the fact that this bill's co-author is a democrat?
Also you're ignoring that former Democratic senator Chris Dodd is head of the MPAA now authoring many of these SOPA/PIPA type bills?

I've said it once, twice, thrice, a hundred times before...

At times like these, I almost wish I was a professional assassin capable of taking out politicians easily without getting caught. Except it's against my morals, religion, upbringing, and so much more for me to be so.

Of course, I'm sure they'll use it as another excuse to kill privacy as they die.

"Land of the free" was it? Not so much lately I'd say. The way things are going it looks like the politicians won't quit until they turned US into a police state.

NO, it's the land of the collect as much money as possible from citizens so the out of control government spending can keep being out of control.

You think the companies wouldn't reward the government big if they pass this? It all trickles up.

What's disgusting is that all of the corporations that rallied against SOPA and PIPA and those who apologized for their misguided belief that they were good for us all stand behind CISPA.

http://intelligence.house.gov/hr-3523-letters-support

Feels a lot like "it's okay guys, tell your customers you hate SOPA. We have something else up our sleeves anyways."

+1

I'm against this, but I still believe you're a moron if you think they can't get the information they want anyways. They just can't threaten you with it if it's not obtained legally.
Stick to the issue at hand which is trying to pass this bullshit law. Leave the "they can get it anyway" discussion for another thread. Most of us are either aware of this or had an idea it was the case anyway but that doesn't make it okay to pass a law on it.

I've said it once, twice, thrice, a hundred times before...

At times like these, I almost wish I was a professional assassin capable of taking out politicians easily without getting caught. Except it's against my morals, religion, upbringing, and so much more for me to be so.

Of course, I'm sure they'll use it as another excuse to kill privacy as they die.

Right now a cyber security center deep in Utah has analyzed and processed your words and transferred you to a monitoring database, where 40 Virginia farm boys will certainly be setting up surveillance vans outside your home, while installing a GPS tracker under your 2002 Honda Civic.

In the coming days you will feel like you're being followed (you are) and you will become paranoid with each coming day, looking over your shoulder constantly, but nobody will believe you because the mere prospect a getting yourself in hot water with the government relating to a innocent childish post on a tech forum, sounds not only incredulous, but something you'd only see in 1939 Nazi Germany.

Finally, your fears become reality when the day you're leaving your house for work, 2 vans pull up with men in black suits claiming to be from the Department of Homeland Security take you into custody without due process and violating your 4th Amendment rights among other laws they legally bypassed thanks to the Patriot Act and National Defense Authorization Act. No word is given to your family as to your whereabouts, because as far as they know he's probably already dead since they haven't received word from you in over 2½ months.

Suddenly you wake up in a FEMA holding cell somewhere in Texas, where the temperature hit close to 118° by nine o'clock in the morning, but you still don't believe that because it's only January. The corrugated steal room measuring a paltry 8x8, is dark, empty, and barely have light protruding inside. You can hear a person screaming in the adjacent room next to you, along with the sounds of water splashing about. After 3 minutes of water boarding the individual no longer is making anymore sounds, it is at this point you're heart beat starts to race even further; anxiety, fear, and desperation are coursing all through you at once. 24 hours goes by and you're still in your little cell. You haven't had any human contact from anyone since the day of your arrest. The only thing on your mind is whether your family knows where you are. You're not religious, but today you decide to pray to GOD for the first time because you've exhausted every bit of hope you had left.

Your prayers go unanswered, when suddenly the door swings open and 2 men in military uniforms drag you outside inside a small courtyard with dozens of other prisoners spectators and men in military uniform are also watching. As they lead you to the center of the yard you see an inclined table with 2 buckets of water at its side and immediately recognize what is about to happen. Your screams and pleads go ignore as they begin to strap you down and prepare your new nightmare, your life flashes before your eyes while you're trying desperately to escape. It's futile. after less than 1 minute of struggling you're exhausted and finally given up fighting back, and as they're finally putting in the last few straps of your harness, you suddenly catch a glimmer of a figure off the corner your eye. Immediately you recognize the mans face, but you still think you're dreaming because you saw this man at A Hardocp forum a few days ago? Or was it weeks? All sense of time has been blurred, your worst nightmare has become reality, and all you can think of is that mans face and why he's here.

It's time---- as the soldiers hold you down and prepare to douse the first bucket of water over your covered face, the final words you hear are, "This is what happens when you're not [H]ard enough bitch."

If you believe that, I feel sorry for you. The Tea Party is really about throwing the 99% even more under the bus.

Since when did people on Medicare become thieves? Most of them are elderly people who paid into the system their whole lives. My suggestion: stop watching Fox news.

If you believe that, I feel sorry for you. The Tea Party is really about throwing the 99% even more under the bus.

Since when did people on Medicare become thieves? Most of them are elderly people who paid into the system their whole lives. My suggestion: stop watching Fox news.
And my suggestion to you is stop reading the Huffington Post...

If you believe the Tea Party is about throwing the 99% under the bus, then you are about as clueless as 99% of the Occupy Wall Street movement.;)

The truth about what you two are arguing about lies inbetween. There are plenty of thieves in the system and there are plenty who use it legitimately.

~~~
Back on topic...

This law may have been created by a Democrat, but I'm sure I'm sure Republicans will vote for it also. Its truly sad that the only thing truly bi-partisan about U.S. politics is that money will get politicians to pass just about anything.:mad:

^^ this. FCC governs airways, make it so that candidates who have minimum number of signatures get free ads since broadcasters are leasing airways from the people anyhow. No campaign contributions at all, no "benefit" packages at all, no corporate subsidies at all, No adverts by 3rd party entities. Draconian to say the least, but sure would make campaigns about their content rather than who has most money to spend on ads, negative ads etc.

Besides being unconstitutional (donations are considered free speech), it would actually make things worse. This would complete stack the deck further in favor of the incumbents.
Also, it would give an even greater advantage to Unions and “community organizer” type groups that can turn thousands of volunteers.

Here’s a better solution:
1. Only registered voters can donate to campaigns. (no unions, no business, no foreign governments, etc)
(I'd further limit it to only canidates you can vote for)
2. All donations (names & amounts) must be made available to the public within 14 days.
3. All politicians must recues themselves from any vote that will benefit one of their major donors. Failure to do so will result in imediate dismissal from office.

Republicans... Democrats...

Doesn't matter... They are both screwing you. This isn't Capitalism, its Corpratism.

I'm voting for REAL CHANGE. Ron Paul or Gary Johnson!

When will you realize that you're numbered for a reason. STFU, pay your taxes, watch more TV.
The gov's got this people.....

Funny! Good story telling.
Write books!

LMAO. Yes it was. Read that whole post. That was masterfully done. Though I don't think I'd break that easily (but who knows, it's not like I've been in such situations), and I am moderately religious... moderately.

On another note..... that may just happen. Well... the first half or so.

how many versions of sopa/acta/pipa/crapta... will there be in the next years? as many as needed until finally one passes? if this system is not corrupt, then nothing is.

Perfect example of why we need term limits.
In these politicians last terms, they have nothing to lose so their can become super corrupt. So instead of their nothing-to-lose-term being 20% of their tenure, it will be 50% of their tenure. Yeah, that'll improve things.

The other problem with term limits, the politicans will start to crutch even more on the bureaucrats. So you'll have lifer bureaucrats in government with even more power.

The real problem isn't that these politicians can be there indefinitely, its that people put them there indefinitely.

One reason is that campaign laws which supposedly look like they are trying to keep big money influence out of politics guarantee that incumbents have a campaign edge. Incumbents get free media coverage because of their jobs. And their challengers don't have the cash to challenge that advantage.

Then add the fact the media that covers these guys now have a huge sway over who gets the most media coverage. Specifically here, the media is employed by companies that want this kind of law. So actively opposing these laws as your campaign platform is probably media suicide.

We really need to get money out of the government period. All they are worried about is making themselves, and the rich, richer. Money controls everything in the world as it stands. "The whole system is fu*kin broke man!". :D

Instead of term limits... they should have alternating terms. Where they have 2 years in, then another has to get 2 years in, before they can get back in.

There is probably problems with this system too, but this way, it can at least let people see a difference in politicians and possibly a better form of politics, though I think I'm being a bit too optimistic.

Instead of term limits... they should have alternating terms. Where they have 2 years in, then another has to get 2 years in, before they can get back in.

There is probably problems with this system too, but this way, it can at least let people see a difference in politicians and possibly a better form of politics, though I think I'm being a bit too optimistic.

I had this opinion too. No more than 8 years of service in any public office in a 16 year period. Or no more than 4 over 8. Some terms may need to be adjusted to fit. Forces these politicians back into the real world while not blocking their future aspirations. It would also force people to pick someone new than hit the incumbent button.

There is no perfect world, I'm afraid. For instance, its a nonsense to expect politicians to pay for the HUGE campaign costs if not by accepting donations from the big players. It makes no sense to me to claim "fairness" when candidates who have not a big chunk of money have no chance of ever winning the elections...and as such money come from lobbying, there is even a smaller chance that somebody who got their campaign paid by such means will ever change anything.

So, first problem: campaign financing needs to be changed so that politicians can defend the interests of their voters (yes, you vote them but you aren't paying their campaigns, which is what gets there in the first place). It wouldn't be such a bad idea that people was expected to pay their own campaigns...and then get money in return for each vote acquired. Donations should also be made 100% public so that people know what is going on behind the curtain.

Still, the USA is the land of the imbalance and the unfairness. US citizens pay a ton of taxes yet have no service whatsoever, which makes me wonder...why pay taxes when you get nothing in return? At least in Europe, where we get raped by taxes once and again, we have a plentiful of services at our disposal, and having cancer is not a certain death even with no money cause the system will take care of us.

All said, though, I'm a firm believer in liberalism...but the way the systems work, I'd much rather have a "social" system in which you pay taxes but get services in return rather than living in a country in which you too pay a ton of taxes yet have to pay for every single thing and stuff is way too imbalanced. Careers are very expensive...and thus why professionals have very high wages, which means that a lot of services are out of reach for the average joe. I'd rather have the government handle those services for me although in theory it should make them much more inefficient, in practice the public health system the US has is the most inefficient in the world.

You should actually blame your own system. The USA is the country that spends the most per capita in terms of medicare...yet a very very small part of the population is covered by such programs.

Talk about a system being inefficient :rolleyes:

Besides being unconstitutional (donations are considered free speech), it would actually make things worse. This would complete stack the deck further in favor of the incumbents.
Also, it would give an even greater advantage to Unions and “community organizer” type groups that can turn thousands of volunteers.

Here’s a better solution:
1. Only registered voters can donate to campaigns. (no unions, no business, no foreign governments, etc)
(I'd further limit it to only canidates you can vote for)
2. All donations (names & amounts) must be made available to the public within 14 days.
3. All politicians must recues themselves from any vote that will benefit one of their major donors. Failure to do so will result in imediate dismissal from office.

I like some of your idea, but mine also would come with the caveat of two term (fixed @ 8 yrs max) limits. The idiots in Congress/Senate have no issues passing laws that are unconstitutional. The Free Speech aspect could be excused just like being unable to screen "Fire!" in a crowded theater when there isn't one. It's a public safety issue when a small group of corporations can help facilitate laws that are against the public's best interest. It's the same excuse that's being used to "protect" us with the TSA. Incidentally, here's a great read about the "security" that TSA provides:
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/03/harms_of_post-9.html

i am really starting to think you guy have corrupt elections. Your screwed !

maybe a bunch of you guys should talk to your neighbors and try to find out if any of you guys actually voted for the people that won.

Something smells fishy

Back