Medicaid Hacked: Over 181k Records and 25k SSNs Stolen

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Utah’s Medicaid servers were hacked into last week and hackers from Eastern Europe were blamed for the breach and theft of over 25k files containing personal information for over 181k Medicaid clients.

DTS had recently moved the claims records to a new server, which had a configuration error at the authentication level, allowing hackers to circumvent the security system.

a configuration error at the authentication level... really? come on... i think these people should be charged and sue'd and a TRUE 3rd party security company does audits on them... hell i think these companies and agencies should be the target's for DefCon.

This does not exactly give me that peace of mind feeling when thinking about having all our medical records placed online into a central location run by the government. One stop shopping for identity thieves for sure.

is reviewed every server in the state to ensure proper security measures are in place, identified where the breakdown occurred, and has implemented new processes to ensure this type of breach will not happen again.

Um, usually you do that BEFORE you go live.. you check your work..

They're on medicaid, it's not like they have good credit.

With all these breaches I'm surprised people are buying in to the cloud thing. I'm sure a cloud server can be hacked just as well.

They're on medicaid, it's not like they have good credit.

Yes, because everyone on Medicaid is financially irresponsible. :rolleyes:

Stuff like this is why I have good credit monitoring, relying on any company to keep you info secure it just a bad idea anymore.

if a hospital got hacked for 181k records x 2000$ fine under hipaa hitech act = shit ton of money. odds are 0$ fines for the government getting hacked.

a configuration error at the authentication level... really? come on... i think these people should be charged and sue'd and a TRUE 3rd party security company does audits on them... hell i think these companies and agencies should be the target's for DefCon.

^^^

Nice stereotype. :rolleyes:
I'm on Medicaid and have excellent credit. Just glad I'm not in Utah, though that's of little comfort.

How can you have good credit? According to Melon, you don't. Seriously, see how highly he thinks of you? Another stereotyping scumbag.

Yeah, I have to say I'm not surprised at ALL about this. I live in Utah, and deal with Utah Medicaid all the time. They are seriously behind the times.

With all these breaches I'm surprised people are buying in to the cloud thing. I'm sure a cloud server can be hacked just as well.

"Cloud" is a catch word, marketing term that is all.. the "cloud" is nothing but a server accessible via the internet........... that' it, nothing more... just they tossed this word on it to sell it to people to make it sound like some great new invention in the IT world to market services to the mindless tools to make them think there data is safe out there on someone else's systems instead of yours.

"configuration error at the authentication level"

I wouldnt be surprised if those idiots used default password....

"configuration error at the authentication level"

I wouldnt be surprised if those idiots used default password....

Yea I was thinking that too. Good thing a basic firewall blocks unknown ip addresses from access.. Oh wait

Ok so. Let's do some MPAAMath:

181,000 Records. If we go by what the RIAA and MPAA think their records are worth. Thats 225,000 per record, with an average of 10 songs per record, that means that we should be suing the Utah Medicaid system for 407,250,000,000, give or take a few billion here or there for errors in calculation.

What? If the government back pocket friends can do this to you, you should be able to do it to them. SSN's are basically copies of "Hurt Locker" too now. So we should be able to sue them file sharing dicks for giving our intellectual property away to millions of buyers.

What? Too logical.

Wow, ignorance at it's best. I know lots of individuals who are on Medicaid with good credit.

Honest question borne of ignorance: Why would someone be on medicaid if they had good credit? I thought the program was for people who couldn't afford insurance - is that incorrect?

Honest question borne of ignorance: Why would someone be on medicaid if they had good credit? I thought the program was for people who couldn't afford insurance - is that incorrect?

For the most part yes, but just because they can't afford insurance doesn't mean they have bad credit. Say you only make 25k a year. Thats really not enough to have insurance unless your employer provides it. Then say you have a neurosis or physical deformation that requires constant medical attention. You pay your rent, bills and student loan, on time everytime. Perfect Credit, on medicaid or medicare.

Having a disability many times forces one into becoming poor. Lost work combined with huge medical costs make one poor. This does not however mean that individual has bad credit. I've known plenty of poor people with good credit. You guys are clearly out of touch with how poor a disability often forces one to be. The medical bills and prescription costs remain constant in many of these people's lives.

Even if they are forced into bad credit through the weight of huge medical bills/prescription costs (and I do mean huge) and lost wages, it goes away after 7 years while their condition often does not.

How can you have good credit? According to Melon, you don't. Seriously, see how highly he thinks of you? Another stereotyping scumbag.
It has to do with the excellent point you made in your previous post. Mom taught us to be financially responsible.

Having a disability many times forces one into becoming poor. Lost work combined with huge medical costs make one poor. This does not however mean that individual has bad credit. I've known plenty of poor people with good credit. You guys are clearly out of touch with how poor a disability often forces one to be. The medical bills and prescription costs remain constant in many of these people's lives.

Even if they are forced into bad credit through the weight of huge medical bills/prescription costs (and I do mean huge) and lost wages, it goes away after 7 years while their condition often does not.

So someone that doesn't pay their medical bills has good credit? Puh-leeze.

So someone that doesn't pay their medical bills has good credit? Puh-leeze.

Let's see how your opinion would change if you had a disability. I'm not disabled or have any issues money wise, but that still doesn't mean I have to be complete douche to others because they don't have the benefits that I do. You would fit right in with a girl in my class who said she doesn't feel bad for homeless people because SHE can get a job so they should be able to too.

Ehhh... there are people on the streets because they are too damn lazy though. But not every homeless person had a chance. So she sounds like a jerk off.... mainly because she seems to truly think everyone is equal and has the same chances. (At least in that regard)

But...... people who don't pay their bills shouldn't get good credit. At the very least... if they spent their money on other things.

Back