Swiftech Launches The Komodo HD7970 Waterblock

HardOCP News

[H] News
Normally we don't comment on press releases like this but, in addition to the snazzy new water block for the Radeon HD 7970, I thought the optional CrossFireX bridges were cool enough to warrant a mention. Here's the PR and a few photos.

Swiftech® today announced the release for retail sales of the Komodo HD7970 waterblock for AMD’s Radeon® HD7970 graphics card. Covering the full-length of the card to protect its fragile components, and featuring an enhanced thermal design, illuminated bridge, and a comprehensive package including single-slot PCI bracket and a back-plate, this is the most sophisticated full-cover waterblock offered by Swiftech to date. Companion accessories complete the offering with optional CrossFireX bridges and adjustable connectors for multiple card configurations. “We took our sweet time to release this product, but in the end I think the result was worth the wait!” Said Gabriel Rouchon Swiftech’s Chairman & CTA.

Also, the evga hydrocopper blocks for the gtx680 are based on this design. Can't wait to see some results on the efficiency and flow rate of this design.

That is one sexy looking water block. I wonder what the size of the channels are over the GPU. Wish they had some inside pic's.

I honestly don't like it. The stickers and crap make it look cheap, IMO, yet the price tag is anything but.

I learned a long time ago vidoe card waterblocks are a total waste unless you're really into oc'ing them, regardless of cost; since most of them are gpu specific and worth their weight in copper in 6 months to a year.

I learned a long time ago vidoe card waterblocks are a total waste unless you're really into oc'ing them, regardless of cost; since most of them are gpu specific and worth their weight in copper in 6 months to a year.
Totally with ya here. Really a niche product.. and just some insane fun project to do.

That's just water cooling in general. Water cooling isn't an economical venture - it's a hobby.

Looks good, I just can't get over what a wasteful investment full cover GPU blocks are. I have a $50 MCW82 cooling my 7970 and whenever I upgrade again I can pop it off the 7970 and put it right on the next card.

always had a soft spot for swiftech gear.
they haven't always had the top-tier blocks but their cost/performance ratio is usually very good.

i like the block, all black would suit my build really well. the stickers are a bit meh. if the manufacturer must have a logo on the item, prefer if it's etched (with no colour/ink) into it. with labels, less is more imo.

like how they include the backplate plus the single PCI I/O cover with the waterblock.

as 'Mr. K6' and others have mentioned, it's hard to justify the cost of a full cover block that's only ever good for one generation of GPU's. they do make a case internals look very tidy tho.

That's just water cooling in general. Water cooling isn't an economical venture - it's a hobby.

You can watercool the cpu and some of the mobo chips with the same waterblock for years; because the better manufacturers release new mounting mechanisms when new sockets come out. I've went through 2 cpu blocks; which cost 50-60 bucks each, in about 9 years and many upgrades/total rebuilds. GPU water blocks are gpu specific and 2-3x that cost usually. Comparing the two in a cost/benefit kind of way simply doesn't work. I bet I've actually saved a good bit watercooling my cpu. About 250 to build and has replaced half a dozed high end air coolers. Swiftech is one of those manufacturers that updates their cpu blocks with new mounting mechanisms and has been my brand of choice.

I don't Water cool for just OCing I do It mostly for noise. My 7970 is loud as hell when it gets past 50%. I hate it. Why I'm going to build a new water cooling system.

Everytime I see the 680 with a waterclock, and then that nasty block of a power connector due to nVidia's stacked power connector design... I get a sore neck from shaking my head so much....

It may sound SO tacky, but once I saw the power connector when these were released, I decided to keep my 580 in hopes that the GK110 cards dont have the same design.

And I agree, SHOW ME THE COPPER!

I would prefer bare metal if the cover covered the entire PCB. I like how this Komodo block, plus those in the past, covers the entire board. Otherwise, the block looks incomplete. Full coverage, plus being able to see the stickers and the lights, is even more important because my new case (when it arrives) is supposed to have a reverse motherboard layout.

As for the price, the blocks do come with a back plate which otherwise seems to be in the $25-30 range.

My only concern is that at least one person is having grounding problems, possibly cause by and overly tall capacitor.

Say what you will, but I love these; and block + backplate is less than the Swiftech deal.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1682197

I'm not bashing Swiftech. Every other watercooling component in my computer is from Swiftech.:D

Heatkiller has way higher quality standards anyway than Swiftech.

Their machining is always impeccable, cannot say the same for Swiftech.

From the pictures, it looks like Swiftech's cooler should cost next to nothing to manufacture. There's very little in the way of machining of the metal with that design, Delrin is very easy to work with, why are these blocks so expensive?

Last edited:
Looks good, I just can't get over what a wasteful investment full cover GPU blocks are. I have a $50 MCW82 cooling my 7970 and whenever I upgrade again I can pop it off the 7970 and put it right on the next card.

Did you need a spacer? How do the holes line up?

What are your temps like?

Did you need a spacer? How do the holes line up?

What are your temps like?
You need a spacer (I use plate copper) and longer screws than provided (2/56 thread works). The entire assembly is very fragile until completely bolted and even then it's not great. Temps are fine however, I usually get 44C or so loaded at 1125MHz, stock volts, and 50-52C @ 1350MHz @ 1.3V. My room is pretty warm though (76-80F/25-26C). Here's a post I wrote chronicling my process for setting up the MCW82 on my 7970: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=32870688&postcount=155

Swiftech is now, or will very shortly be, providing (selling?) spacers for GPU only blocks to work with 7970s

Swiftech is now, or will very shortly be, providing (selling?) spacers for GPU only blocks to work with 7970s

I heard it's going to be a proper block kit with offset spacing for proper contact on gpu. Should be much better than just adding a copper spacer.

I used to think that, but consider someone who already has a loop going.

A reference 7970 can be had for a hair over $400
For the cost to upgrade to a MSI lightning 7970, you can get an Aquacomputer waterblock

I'm starting to see the benefit of watercooling graphics cards: You can buy super cheap, 'old' reference cards so the cost almost evens out.

Then of course, with AMD cards, you can pump the voltage and go for some mhz records :D

Back