GeForce GTX 680 2-Way SLI Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Legit Reviews just posted their GeForce GTX 680 2-Way SLI review for your viewing pleasure. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

When it comes to the performance results, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 performed as expected and we were impressed. Our performance numbers significantly improved and our gaming experience was better! Of the nine benchmarks that we used we found that adding a second GeForce GTX 680 for SLI improved performance on average by 64% at a resolution of 1920x1080 and 84% at 2560x1600. All of our tests showed a larger benefit from running in SLI at 2560x1600.

I wish people testing these this kinds of cards would do multi-monitor. They have $1000 with of video cards, a $1000 CPU and can spring for like $600 worth of monitors? Multi-monitor testing is the thing I like most about [H] reviews.

Buying 2 is not worth it unless they sli with this so called faster GTX690 that is the real card.

Buying 2 is not worth it unless they sli with this so called faster GTX690 that is the real card.

I have no idea why you'd say buying two is not worth it, at higher resolutions it most definitely is.

I've been using the 680 SLI in my rig since release and they've been performing like a champ. Unfortunately, the scaling isn't as great as the 7970s as of it (especially in benchmarks like Heaven 3.0), but I'm hoping that the next round of drivers will help with that.

Real world performance, they crush anything. Though on triple monitors, I do have to turn some settings down (AA, effects, etc...) if I want a consistent 60fps.

Tried Witcher 2 with ubersampling or Metro 2033 on Very High with DoF yet? ;)

Tried Witcher 2 with ubersampling or Metro 2033 on Very High with DoF yet? ;)

Witcher 2 with ubersampling is a bitch. Even with SLI 680s, I was barely getting 45-55fps with everything with ultra pre-set and US on (1920 x 1080 resolution). Without US, I was hitting 120+ easy and consistently during the first mission. Haven't gotten far enough to test the more intensive portions of the game (I think the mission where it rains is supposed to be killer as well).

I don't understand why people who never force supersampling of any sort in any other game are all of a sudden concerned with being able to run "ubersampling" in The Witcher 2.

I don't understand why people who never force supersampling of any sort in any other game are all of a sudden concerned with being able to run "ubersampling" in The Witcher 2.

Ubersampling isn't quite the same thing as SSAA.
SSAA is rendering at a higher resolution and scaling it down -- ubersampling samples the elements multiple times and then jitter composites them into a final version.
And that's a strawman -- nobody, at least here, is "concerned" about it. It's just fun to try, because it's staring us in our faces and begging us to enable it.
I wonder if such a thing could be enabled in arbitrary games through an injector though. Would be fun on older titles.

Whoa... according to the benchmark, even the mighty GTX680 SLI cannot play Metro2033 smoothly at 2560x1600.

And I'm guessing even that is with DoF turned off ;)

I highly doubt that they invented their own anti-aliasing algorithm. Maybe its SGSSAA but it is some form of SSAA. I have no doubt about that.

Back