One-Third of U.S. High School Students Own an iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want to know what is wrong with today's kids, I think I've found the answer.

In our most recent survey the percentage of teens that own an iPhone came in at 34%, up from 23% in the Fall and 17% last Spring. We believe the meaningful uptick in iPhone ownership among teens may be driven by the cheaper $49 iPhone 3GS (in some cases free).

Like flicking rubber bands or paper footballs or passing notes around was any better.

I don't see the problem with a high schooler having a phone. Everyone has a phone. It's called "technology" ...the kids fault for not putting it away and paying attention in class.

free unlimited texting and video chat with everyone else who has an iphone by default?

i have no idea why horny teenagers would want such a thing.

One Third of High School students SURVEYED have an iPhone.

I love how it gets distorted into one third of all students have one.:rolleyes:

You do know how statistics work right?

math. lol.

math-fail.jpg

You do know how statistics work right?

He probably doesn't. Therefore nobody does.

funny-facebook-fails-xmas-brats.png

I remember having a beeper in high school and thinking I was the fucking man. Now with a smartphone I still think how awesome it would be to still have that beeper.

My parents bought my little brother an iPhone while he wanted an Android one. They said it was because the guy at the store said, "Android sucks, get an iPhone."
Lol...

In our most recent survey the percentage of teens that own an iPhone came in at 34%

which also means 66% have something other then an iphone

I'll be the devil's advocate here.

Carriers give away older iPhones now. The 3GS is free with a contract. Additionally, the "$60/month" number you hear for cell service is for a single user; family plans don't pay anywhere near that price, it's only a few more bucks per month to add more lines to a family's shared minutes pool.

My dad got my little sister an iPhone because it was cheap, and he could keep an eye on her with the parental features.

It amazes me how effective Apple's marketing campaigns are. They really do manage to take price out of the immediate consumer decision making process.

Carriers give away older iPhones now. The 3GS is free with a contract. Additionally, the "$60/month" number you hear for cell service is for a single user; family plans don't pay anywhere near that price, it's only a few more bucks per month to add more lines to a family's shared minutes pool.

My dad got my little sister an iPhone because it was cheap, and he could keep an eye on her with the parental features.
Actually it is near that price in most cases. You need a data plan for each line and have to pay the extra line fee. In many cases that is at least an extra $45 a month per line right there, if not more if you want a higher data plan.

[21CW]killerofall;1038572656 said:
Actually it is near that price in most cases. You need a data plan for each line and have to pay the extra line fee. In many cases that is at least an extra $45 a month per line right there, if not more if you want a higher data plan.

An iPhone data plan is $15/month and the family plan extra line fee is $9. Hardly $45/month or even close to sticker price for an individual plan.

Like flicking rubber bands or paper footballs or passing notes around was any better.

I don't see the problem with a high schooler having a phone. Everyone has a phone. It's called "technology" ...the kids fault for not putting it away and paying attention in class.

I think the point was that they are iphones, not phones in general

I was fixing a clients laptop last week and their 10yo daughter and 13yo son have iPhone 3GS.
I wish I had a cell phone when I was 10 years old. lol

No High School student should have any cell phone. At the very least they should pay for it themselves. Phone and cell/data plan.

But I guess I am bitter. My sister was pampered with tech when she went through HS and the like while I didn't get a fucking thing. Despite knowing 100x more about computers than she does.

He probably doesn't. Therefore nobody does.

I remember having a beeper in high school and thinking I was the fucking man. Now with a smartphone I still think how awesome it would be to still have that beeper.

Wow, those kids need to be choked and burned.

FUCK HARD WORK FUCK BOOKS FUCK LITERATURE FUCK THE FUTURE FUCK EDUCATION.... All I want is my damn iPhone!!! I CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT!!!!!!< exclamation point>

Lol @ the "intend to buy within 6 months" numbers. High school students don't have money. More like "would like one because one of my friends has one and I'm jealous".

Also, I don't see any information about where or how the survey was taken. That always makes me somewhat skeptical when it comes to statistics.

I had money in high school, from my job. A Job, Yes. A Job that let me buy gadgets, games, and car stereo equipment. Job.

I wonder if a lot of high schoolers these days actually have jobs, though.

Exactly. It's hard for teens to find jobs even at fast food places when they're competing with desperate middle aged people. Nowadays when I drive through McDonalds all the employees are middle aged white people.

Exactly. It's hard for teens to find jobs even at fast food places when they're competing with desperate middle aged people. Nowadays when I drive through McDonalds all the employees are middle aged white people.

There are plenty of jobs to be had, at least where I live.

I see a few places that have some high schoolers working where I live but by and large, like Xeth pointed out, those jobs seem to be taken by middle-aged people more often than not these days.

Ignorance on parade! Do you have a family plan? Obviously not. You can pay a few dollars to get a basic line added with no features but if you want multiple iphones on your family plan your going to pay about 60 bucks per line. This is because of the smartphone upcharges like texting, data plans and line fees.

Ignorance on parade! Do you have a family plan? Obviously not. You can pay a few dollars to get a basic line added with no features but if you want multiple iphones on your family plan your going to pay about 60 bucks per line. This is because of the smartphone upcharges like texting, data plans and line fees.

Yeah, I was wondering where that "few dollars" crap was coming from. Smartphone = automatic $20-30/mo data charge on top of the line charge (which generally I think is like $10/mo just for another line) Plus texting...yeah, you're looking at more like $50-60/mo extra.

...the kids fault for not putting it away and paying attention in class.

Well at least you didn't say it's the teachers fault for not being more entertaining while teaching like some of the mental cases around here ;)

I think the point was that they are iphones, not phones in general

Yep, that was obviously Steve's point. I would like to hear his argument on why kids with Andriod phones are obviously so superior.

Also, last time I checked, it cost the exact same to own an iPhone, or a comparible/halfway decent Andriod phone, so those sitting there saying there is a cost difference between the two are full of crap.

Unfortunately this is true, but is costs the same for 3 Andriod phones on a family plan or 3 iPhones on a family plan with AT&T. I am paying $180 a month right now for 3 iPhones and it is pissing me off. I will be switching to the dark side in another 2 months when my AT&T contracts expires and going with Ting. My monthly bill will then be $60. I know I am going to initially regret the 3 crappy Android phones I will have to pay full price for initially (almost $1000 for 3 halfway serviceable phones), but I will get over it pretty quickly when I see my monthly bill.

I would like to hear his argument on why kids with Andriod phones are obviously so superior.
Simple:
Non-Apple users are superior to Apple users.
Kids are a subset of Non-Apple users.
Therefore kids with Androids are superior to kids with iPhones.

Yes, I am serious.

My parents are broke and can barely pay the mortgage and keep refinancing, yet my 14 year old sister (who gets Ds and Fs in every subject, not exaggerating) has her own line on AT&T because she wanted an iPhone 4 which T-Mobile (what my parents are on) didn't have an iPhone 4. So they are paying $100 for unlimited everything plus the initial $200 for the iPhone itself for her. When I ask my mom why they did that and still do pay for it.. she says "all her friends have one!! IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT"

=/ A lot of people just don't have much financial sense. I honestly don't know how ANYONE can justify the price of a smartphone (even with the most constricted plan). $40-100/month is such a ripoff for 3/4G, it makes no sense unless you rely on it for a living. Better put that money into savings like 401k or IRA or pay off debt

=/ A lot of people just don't have much financial sense. I honestly don't know how ANYONE can justify the price of a smartphone (even with the most constricted plan). $40-100/month is such a ripoff for 3/4G, it makes no sense unless you rely on it for a living. Better put that money into savings like 401k or IRA or pay off debt

Exactly. If I didn't have access to Sprint's employee plan I probably wouldn't be paying for a smartphone plan at all. Just buy a smartphone and use a prepaid plan for voice and wifi for data (I know people who use wifi and VoIP exclusively but I wouldn't go that far).

My parents are broke and can barely pay the mortgage and keep refinancing, yet my 14 year old sister (who gets Ds and Fs in every subject, not exaggerating) has her own line on AT&T because she wanted an iPhone 4 which T-Mobile (what my parents are on) didn't have an iPhone 4. So they are paying $100 for unlimited everything plus the initial $200 for the iPhone itself for her. When I ask my mom why they did that and still do pay for it.. she says "all her friends have one!! IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT"

A mortgage? That's terrible! I'm glad most people never have to succumb to that.. :rolleyes:

But yeah, my 13 year old sister just got her first iPhone last month. Same boat. It's kind of annoying.

You don't need a data plan with a Iphone .

I guess if you buy it from a carrier and want their contract discount you do, but even then its 20 a month for a bad data plan and 10-15 a month to be added to a family plan

Kids should be playing with their graphing calculators anyway, a ti-89 and its Motorola 68000 is plenty powerful for being distracted in class.

Back