Facebook Makes You Feel Fat

HardOCP News

[H] News
Click on the "like" button if this Facebook page makes me look fat.

Facebook is fueling our thin-obsessed culture, says a new study from the Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt in Maryland that surveyed 600 Facebook users, ages 16 to 40. More than half said that Facebook makes them more self-conscious about their bodies and weight. And men were some of those with the most negative feelings.

I'm a reformed FaceBook user. I got rid of mine 36 hours ago and never looked back since. Wait...37 hours ago. Yeah, yeah, 37 hours and 16 minutes ago.

As much as I love blaming Facebook, too much intake and too little output makes people "look" and feel fat.

Like how GenMay users are Cheetos and Mountain Dew face stuffers who play female characters in video games. ;)

Waaaa! Why can't I just be fat without feeling fat!?! Hang on, I need to go get another soda and a bag of chips.

Waaaa! Why can't I just be fat without feeling fat!?! Hang on, I need to go get another soda and a bag of chips.

IMHO this is doing the world a service... Now if only people could master the art of putting negative energy into positive avenues, such as diet and exercise... The world would be a much better place.

Alas I'm off to eat another tub of ice cream and a 1$ Totino's party pizza. Thank god for the liquify filter in PS.

IMHO this is doing the world a service... Now if only people could master the art of putting negative energy into positive avenues, such as diet and exercise... The world would be a much better place.

Alas I'm off to eat another tub of ice cream and a 1$ Totino's party pizza. Thank god for the liquify filter in PS.

Take two Totino's party pizzas, throw a handful of cheese and a dozen or so totino's pizza rolls on the top of one. Then flip the second pizza over and place on top of the first.

Take two Totino's party pizzas, throw a handful of cheese and a dozen or so totino's pizza rolls on the top of one. Then flip the second pizza over and place on top of the first.

This actually sounds like something I would try.

The solution to this whole thing is simple: stop using Facebook.

Well, as most people genuinely *are* fat these days...

Exactly.

This can only help. It really bugs me when people go out and talk about how terrible it is to have a negative body image and how it leads to eating disorders etc.

While there certainly is a very small minority of people that have problems like this, deal with them directly, don't try to change culture based on it.

When you do stuff like this, you are telling people it's OK to be overweight, which leads to heart disease, diabetes and many other health problems that lead to reduction in quality of life, shortened life spans, and a lot of expense to the healthcare system driving up all of our insurance rates.

Obesity is the #1 problem in America. Eating disorders and body image are nothing but a footnote, and by continuing to hyperfocus on eating disorders we just move ourselves further and further away from being able to address the big elephant (literally) in the room.

The truth is most Americans are either obese or overweight, and if this makes them feel bad about themselves GOOD! That's more motivation to lose that weight and become healthier!

stop looking at media period then?

stop going to movies

stop reading magazines

stop watching TV

heck, stop going to the beach.....may be some thin chicks there!

heck, stop going to the beach.....may be some thin chicks there!

Nah, mostly muffin tops. Ugh. Seems like they go from baby fat to obese without any thin down in between.

When i was growing up (a Long Time Ago (I watched the original Brady Bunch)), the chubby ones were the exception and the truly fat were rare.

Now the fit ones are the exception and the truly thin are rare.

Facebook makes me want to GAIN weight.... Damn this fast metabolism *shakes fist*

Why do people need to find someone else to blame rather then themselves? If theres some problem everyone jumps on the blame roulette wheel. The problem doesn't get solved, but we know who didn't say loudly enough it's not their fault. Placing fault isn't a solution or really that relevant. But it seems thats the only important thing to people. Mainly so they have an excuse why they can't do something.

Like how GenMay users are Cheetos and Mountain Dew face stuffers who play female characters in video games. ;)

I've never had mountain dew...or cheetos...I now feel like i'm missing out on life...:eek: I've played female chatacters though...

Facebook making you feel fat? Just crop your photos properly:

the-art-of-cropping.jpg

Methinks it is because half of Facebook users are fat. If Facebook helps lower my insurance, it might not be entirely evil.
Facebook making you feel fat? Just crop your photos properly:
Good one.

My "fav" thing about facebook were the ads it placed on right hand side of screen most likely generated by a bot that choose what to put based on what movies/books/ intrests you had.
All it did was advertise women for me which I really didnt mind but since I know most are scams I would ignore. Or better yet if I wanted to join the cee eye aye or be a cop in the euro country I was living in.....
Those I promptly hit X and upon being asked why I said "offensive"

Back