LG’s 55-Inch OLED Arriving Early for the Olympics

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have been waiting for the big screen OLED display TV and have a few extra bucks….well, maybe a little more than a few bucks, LG has just the screen for you. Rumor has it LG will be introducing the 55” OLED in May for the low, low price of $8K at the Cannes Film Festival. Sure, sell them to the movie stars….they are the only people who can afford them. :D

While 8k is still pretty steep for a 55 inch tv, it is a far cry from the tvs they were showing a few years ago that went for the same price in an 11 inch or so.

One of those electronic items that begs to not be bought until the 3rd or 4th generation for sure.

While 8k is still pretty steep for a 55 inch tv, it is a far cry from the tvs they were showing a few years ago that went for the same price in an 11 inch or so.

Inevitably, someone here at [H] will buy three of them for NVSurround or Eyefinity.

I am waiting for the OLED TV/monitor that ships rolled up in a tube. Unroll that 108" big boy, hang it on the wall, and enjoy.

Wait...where's the 30-32" 2560x1600+ OLED computer monitors?

SixFootDuo One of those electronic items that begs to not be bought until the 3rd or 4th generation for sure.

Price? Or something else?

You aren't going to sell millions of those, which is why they are much more expensive. Economies of scale are really what drive down the price of manufacturing over time for parts that aren't hard to physically make (R&D costs have to be recouped however).

Price. By 3rd or 4th generation, Haier and Insignia will be making these OLED sets

Anything that brings OLED closer to being mainstream is OK with me, even if it costs $8k when it first comes on the market.

I've dreamt of having at least three 30"(+) 2560x1600 (+) monitors and two 60" (+) TV's hooked up to my PC without catching my computer room on fire (so hot...get naked). Seems I'm about one to two years away from this much cooler reality.

I'm currently running 2007FP-3008WFP-2007FP and two KDL46EX400's and it's ridiculous in the summer months. I have to constantly run a 12,000 BTU AC just to stay in the 68-78° range. Can't wait for something like this to be affordable.

Starting to save up $10,000 for the setup now...lol :eek:

Finally! A few years out now to mass production. After SED died, OLED was the only display technology left that excited me.

I'm just glad to know they're selling them at all. Folks with the means will likely snap these up, even at 8K ... which means more capital for new production at lower prices, rinse, repeat until affordable.

Actually that's pretty cheap for a 55" OLED display. I guess they were waiting for the market price to drop below $10K, hence the delay. OLED screen material has gotten cheaper to mass produce. Bring them on baby.

Yeah $8k is much less than I thought it would be. Looks like these could become affordable in 3-4 years.

Dunno. Saw a 104" Panasonic Plasma a couple years back at Frys in one of Panasonic's promo trailer(an actual trailer, not movie trailer). That was I think ~10k, so this price isn't really not absurd. Granted this is 1/2 of that size, but not the 20k+ I thought it'd be.

We have had a 52" for 3 years now and I would not buy a 55" no matter what technology. Our next TV will have to be a 72" or somewhere in that range.

Cost doesn't really matter, we get a lot of use out of it. I'd pay 8k for a 72" OLED.

Honestly, 8k isn't bad for the first OLED TV in mainstream markets (even though it's limited).

I'd buy one for 3k without a second thought if it were 40"+

Any OLED over 3k under 40", I can wait a few more years, but as of right now, I've been waiting on these for so long, 3k for one would be well worth it.

Well I remember they were wanting around £8000 for a 50" LCD back around 2005.

Now they are given away with a quart of motor oil.

We have had a 52" for 3 years now and I would not buy a 55" no matter what technology. Our next TV will have to be a 72" or somewhere in that range.

Cost doesn't really matter, we get a lot of use out of it. I'd pay 8k for a 72" OLED.

Agreed. I have a 61 inch in my den right now. If I purchase another TV it will be 70 incher.

I'd pay $3000 if it's as advetized and won't buy a $500 video card. So tired of LCD's. I have taken dozens back to store over their 8 year history with me and still hate the ones I got compared to motion on a CRT.

That's what I'm waiting for. TV, who cares? You sit far back from TV and don't see motion-blur so much. Plus they have plasma TVs. Can't make plasma pixels that small for computer monitor. Computer monitors and gamers are in dire need of good motion OLED will provide.

Agreed. I have a 61 inch in my den right now. If I purchase another TV it will be 70 incher.

DLP I assume?

I went from a 61" to a 70" LCD - HUGE difference, night and day - especially calibrated. Except I want an 80" now.

I am waiting for the OLED TV/monitor that ships rolled up in a tube. Unroll that 108" big boy, hang it on the wall, and enjoy.
Interesting and quite possibly the future.
The greatest thing about OLED is it can be built on a flexible film cheaply (wait for it).
What will this mean? True 3D stereo glasses; Not a huge heavy headset.

How needs a screen on the wall when you can wear on and view in 3D?? :p

Awesome, while I wont be buying on at this price the sooner they get out on the market, at any price, the sooner the price can start coming down to the reasonable range for the rest of us.

Substance... being an overweight piece of equipment that uses like 10x more power?

Back