What’s The Worlds Most Popular Internet App?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With all the new features available to Internet users these days, would you find it difficult to believe that email, plain old email, is still the most popular application for communication around the world? Well get over it, because it is. :D A new international poll found that 85% of the world’s internet users still call upon email for communication.

Despite the booming popularity of social networking like Facebook and Twitter, a relic from the 1980s remains the most-used feature of the Internet.

Just wish everyone who stuffs my mailbox at work would step up to the plate and stop sending communication via pieces of paper... I haven't been down to the mail room to pick up my mail since the beginning of the year.

I use email constantly. Absolutely love it. I check all of my account's with Opera's built-in mail client. I have ~100,000 messages atm. But, that's a tiny amount compared to a lot of users. I pull in all kinds of feeds and messages from mailing lists too.

I just wish more people would learn how to properly quote and trim when replying and how to use the standard "-- " for the signature separator (so that your sig is automatically trimmed when the recipient replies).

MS employees (usually Outlook users) are the worst offenders. They screw up replies to threads all the time by replying up top and absolutely refuse to do like everyone else. They also do top-posting like that in HTML compose mode where when you receive the message, you can't tell what part is the new content and what part is the quoted part. It's horrible.

Another issue with email though is that encryption and signing aren't really widely supported. Sure, if you access the smtp server via TLS and it connects to the recipient server with TLS and the recipient fetches his mail with TLS, it'll be encrypted all the way through. But, that's not the same.

Calling email a "Relic of the 80's" is like calling the jet engine a "relic of World War 2".

thanks for sharing all this so we can admire your 100k e-mails.

I use email constantly. Absolutely love it. I check all of my account's with Opera's built-in mail client. I have ~100,000 messages atm. But, that's a tiny amount compared to a lot of users. I pull in all kinds of feeds and messages from mailing lists too.

I just wish more people would learn how to properly quote and trim when replying and how to use the standard "-- " for the signature separator (so that your sig is automatically trimmed when the recipient replies).

MS employees (usually Outlook users) are the worst offenders. They screw up replies to threads all the time by replying up top and absolutely refuse to do like everyone else. They also do top-posting like that in HTML compose mode where when you receive the message, you can't tell what part is the new content and what part is the quoted part. It's horrible.

Another issue with email though is that encryption and signing aren't really widely supported. Sure, if you access the smtp server via TLS and it connects to the recipient server with TLS and the recipient fetches his mail with TLS, it'll be encrypted all the way through. But, that's not the same.

Back