Google Launches “Go” Programming Language

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After years of development Google has announced the release of Go v1.0 programming language. Along with the release of Go, Google also released a newly revised Google App Engine SDK.

Go 1 is the first release that is available in supported binary distributions. They are available for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and even Windows.

If its made by Google, will it make any apps made with it embed tracking software, and install 3rd party ads?

Is it pronounced "Gu" as in the first part of Google, or "Go" as in the game and what your car does?

gogogadget.jpg

I thought Python was Google's language of choice...

Well now they're really screwed.

I'm a C# and Python guy :cool:

I thought Python was Google's language of choice...

Python is their scripting language of choice, but they also use C++, Java, and Go.

Because the world needs yet another programming language.

The last high performance systems language that has seen any real adoption is from 1983 - a few things have changed since then ;)

But fortunately if we actually don't need yet another programming language, then go will simply fade away. If it solves a need, it will be used. From looking at it, it has some really, really nice features and a clean syntax. The super fast compiling in particular looks awesome.

The last high performance systems language that has seen any real adoption is from 1983 - a few things have changed since then ;)
And so has that language. It's not as if it's gone unchanged since '83. Quite the contrary — the way you write C++ applications today with C++11 is almost entirely unlike the way you would have written them in 1983.

Python is their scripting language of choice, but they also use C++, Java, and Go.

But fortunately if we actually don't need yet another programming language, then go will simply fade away. If it solves a need, it will be used. From looking at it, it has some really, really nice features and a clean syntax. The super fast compiling in particular looks awesome.

Note the terminology: high performance systems language. I doubt that Go gives you sufficient control over exact execution to replace those languages heavily derived from C, nor that using C++ in such situations (except as limiting yourself to C that should closely compile to known assembler) is such a great idea.

I suspect that the next big high performance applications language will be openCL ("open computing language"), largely because the hardware for it already exists, and trying to leverage C++'s legacy advantages onto GPLs doesn't appear to be working. Go doesn't seem to have any advantage like that.

I suspect that the next big high performance applications language will be openCL ("open computing language"), largely because the hardware for it already exists, and trying to leverage C++'s legacy advantages onto GPLs doesn't appear to be working. Go doesn't seem to have any advantage like that.

OpenCL is really just for a couple of problems, and it needs a host language. OpenCL won't replace any current desktop language.

And so has that language. It's not as if it's gone unchanged since '83. Quite the contrary — the way you write C++ applications today with C++11 is almost entirely unlike the way you would have written them in 1983.

Sure, but nobody is using C++11 yet.

?

Earlier versions of Go were Linux and Mac only - supporting Windows is either a new or at least a fairly recent development.

Since the vast majority of machines people would develop on are running Windows it's not so much as "even Windows" as "of course Windows".

Back