Rovio Acquires Futuremark Game Studio

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this press release, Rovio has acquired Futuremark's game studio. Seeing as the Angry Birds creators only bought the game studio, they obviously have no use for canned benchmarks either (rimshot please). :D

Rovio Entertainment, creator of the global phenomenon Angry Birds, announced today the acquisition of Futuremark Games Studio, the gaming arm of benchmarking software developer Futuremark.

Aside of the fact that Futuremark's importance/contribution to the world of PC gaming is nil anymore, this is a very very sad day. No PC gaming company should lose to a mobile gaming company like this.

Shattered Horizon was actually a really fun game that was destroyed by DX10/Vista exclusivity at launch. They released a lot of free content and patches but it was too late.

I wasn't aware there were games by Futuremark. What did they make?

According to this press release, Rovio has acquired Futuremark's game studio. Seeing as the Angry Birds creators only bought the game studio, they obviously have no use for canned benchmarks either (rimshot please). :D

Any news about Angry Birds and my mind shuts off. Yes, there's a silly little addictive game out there. Lots of people buy it and play it and so they make money and buy things. Moving on to something interesting...

Also: get off my lawn!

I'm really curios to know what Rovio even wants to do with these guys? It's not as if this is the sort of talent they need to keep making mobile games. I wonder if they are going to branch out into making full fledged games.

maybe they want the FutureMark PhysX and Havoc engine for realistic block, brick and ice movements when birds hit them.

maybe they want the FutureMark PhysX and Havoc engine for realistic block, brick and ice movements when birds hit them.

That wouldn't make much sense when OpenCL is what is actually supported on the platforms Rovio publishes on.

Also: Steve. Nice one liner.

Any news about Angry Birds and my mind shuts off. Yes, there's a silly little addictive game out there. Lots of people buy it and play it and so they make money and buy things. Moving on to something interesting...

Also: get off my lawn!

That "silly little addictive game" has made over $100 million as of December of last year. Very much not a "small" anything based off the cost of developing a game like that which was basically nothing.

I would imagine they have such a small operating cost.

That wouldn't make much sense when OpenCL is what is actually supported on the platforms Rovio publishes on.

Also: Steve. Nice one liner.

I was being funny.It'd be a hilarious overuse of resource to apply PhysX to Angry Birds.

Yup, Shattered Horizons' Windows Vista exclusivity really destroyed the game.

Yup, Shattered Horizons' Windows Vista exclusivity really destroyed the game.

Yeah, it's sad because it was actually a really fun and kind of unique game (FPS in space with full 3D movement).

Back