Kim Dotcom: I'm Being Framed

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was doing good until I got to the part where Kim Dotcom claims he is being framed by the U.S. government. Persecuted? Maybe. Is an example being made with this case? Definitely. Framed? Puuuulease. :rolleyes:

The Megaupload founder is convinced of his innocence, and instead of letting fear or anger get to him, he is excited. Deep into the night, Dotcom digs through heaps of paperwork, collecting evidence that shows how he was framed by the US Government.

How would the government go about framing someone in a case like this? Upload tons of illegal files deliberately and then go after him? I am sure he feels persecuted and singled out given the sheer number of other file services doing pretty much exactly the same thing as Megaupload, but that isn't the same as being framed. And given Dotcom's past I would think he'd have been in jail for 20 years to life before this.

not sure about framed but im 100% sure hes being railroaded

What about Google? I can find anything pretty much Legal or Illegal there with links? I'm not taking sides really but the us government is just doing what's best for them, this O Bama and his cronies are oblivious.

Because the US Govt. doesn't frame people. Tell that to the patsies they set up to be so called terrorists so we can all enjoy the "new freedoms" they have given us after 9/11.

At the heart of the issue is the ethical dilemma of whether or not a service can be illegal because it could be used in the commission of a crime. I don't think claiming that he is being framed is going to help sell his argument that the service itself is not illegal, even if there are those that would use it for illegal purposes.

In the broader sense it also gets back to fair use clauses and the legislation surrounding what is considered fair use. Technically, converting an audio CD into MP3 format for use on my iPod or other portable media player could be considered illegal because it violates the agreement under which I purchased the CD that said that I would not copy the disc, but it is generally accepted as within my fair use rights to do just that.

DVDs have a similar agreement associated with them (ever read that FBI anti-piracy stuff at the beginning of your movie?) and in the past companies were shut down due to this. One example is 3 2 1 Studios and DVD-X-Copy. Meanwhile, I can purchase a movie in DVD format, copy it to my PC, upload it to my iPod or other portable media player, and watch it while I'm traveling, while still claiming that it is acceptable under fair use.

I believe that ultimately the MPAA and RIAA would want consumers to have to purchase the DVD/CD and portable media versions separately, so that they could make more money. Their track record has proven that their motives are strictly about the money for their organizations and business partners, not really about the artists or content creators. The takedown and subsequent legal battle of MegaUpload is just the latest step down this road, in my opinion.

Wow, someone's off their meds.

Why?

Do you deny that escape goats exist and that governments worldwide use them?
Do you deny that you are enjoying "new freedoms" since 9/11?
Do you deny that liberties have been taken away under the guise of "fighting terrorism"?

If so, then you are the one who needs meds.
If not, then stop trolling.

I think they are trying to make an example out of him. Not to mention the other reports and emails released that the studios where actually working with him to publish content people could purchase online. Seems kind of strange they go after him after sending out those emails.

Singled out and railroaded for something everyone is doing? Sure. But he's not being framed.

Why?

Do you deny that escape goats exist and that governments worldwide use them?
Do you deny that you are enjoying "new freedoms" since 9/11?
Do you deny that liberties have been taken away under the guise of "fighting terrorism"?

If so, then you are the one who needs meds.
If not, then stop trolling.

So everything that has happend since 911 is proof that the government set it up and used, and I quote "patsies they set up to be so called terrorists," to crash the planes into the buildings all so they could pass the Patriot Act and form the TSA?

If you think so I would suggest that either you need medication, or that you need to stop self medicating.

Captain, we're sinking!
Everyone, to the escape goats!
Maaa!

(sorry! Had to be doone!! :D)

I have to admit I actually LOL to this.

Judging him based on his appearance isn't very fair. If you watched his interview on youtube he actually has some valid points and doesn't project himself as a thug.

So if you shouldn't judge him on his appearance what does it matter if he puts out a video where he doesn't look like a thug? lol!

Also, let's be honest, just about anyone could make themselves appear respectable in a video they make to try and counter criminal charges filed against them. Most don't bother, but they could. To that end I think footage from before his arrest would be far more telling then that made afterwards because once lawyers and PR people are involved reality gets thrown out the window.

So if you shouldn't judge him on his appearance what does it matter if he puts out a video where he doesn't look like a thug? lol!

Also, let's be honest, just about anyone could make themselves appear respectable in a video they make to try and counter criminal charges filed against them. Most don't bother, but they could. To that end I think footage from before his arrest would be far more telling then that made afterwards because once lawyers and PR people are involved reality gets thrown out the window.

I never said "doesn't look like a thug" lol!

I said "...doesn't project himself as a thug..." lol!

lol! ;)

From reading the article, I think he means framed in the sense that they're trying to paint a portrait of his activity, showing only certain facts in a certain light.

He even gave the big publishers delete access which they used over two million times. I don't know how they could be given access to delete site from his website and still say he's the problem (especially considering the documented abuses by the major studios). Protecting thier copyright is their responsibility; Megaupload went above and beyond gave them the tools to prowl around and delete what they wished.

Singled out and railroaded for something everyone is doing? Sure. But he's not being framed.

Pretty much how I feel about it. The guy does make some decent points about the hypocrisy of the companies going against him though.

Railroaded sure, made an example of absolutely, but framed, um I don't see that at all.

Look I don't doubt that Kim Dotcom is being 'singled out' and I doubt that he has actually broken the law. I however very much disapprove of is business and I'm an advocate for filesharing, I think its a positive part of our culture and whilst many may not share my viewpoint something that is actually very fair. But this guy is living in somebody else's mansion, living the high life from someone else's talent and hard work. Everyone knows what its all about, he's not fooling anyone.

He's a world apart from a someone that shares files, the two aren't even comparable. Plain and simply he's just a thief and I think its absolutely repulsive that he is able to hide behind the DMCA, a fair law that was needed to preserve the freedom of expression and growth of our new era of mass telecommunication, which is one of if not our most valuable resource. Whilst some peole may not like the DCMA because it does say no to pirating, it sets down the rules so that digital service providers can be protected if they comply. This allows them to invest in the neverending demand for infrastructure without fear of bankruptcy or jail if their service facilitates breach of copyright. However Mr. Dotcom is shitting on this by intentionally using the DCMA to circumvent copyright for his own massive personal gain.

People say 'its no different to Google'. Yes its a fuckload different than Google. Whilst Google certainly doesn't get a gold star from me for business ethics, unlike Mr Dotcom their first step in the concept for their business wasn't to consult a bunch of lawyers to really work out what they can and cannot do. When they coded their search engine it was about innovation and offering the world a tool that is revolutionary and useful. Mr Dotcom only thought about how can I use somebody else's stolen work and make a shitload of money from it.

So now these total greedy heartless wankers that are the MPAA/RIAA etc with a genuine reason to jump and shout and push through more draconian laws to protect who they represent. Because unlike the majority of piracy Megaupload can actually be measured in lost revenue, because countless people are willing to pay subscription fees for what is essentially their stolen merchandise. Don't try to tell me that Megaupload has a legitimate side to it, because I'm sure it does, I know I've downloaded a few genuine user-created things from MU. But I can guarantee you if you look at their paying users, I'm certain you will find that the overwhelming majority are only subscribed for piracy. Bigger files (aka video) and faster speeds is what you get for your subscription. Its very easy to make the connection that almost everyone who is only using it legitimately don't require such large download or speed, want to share your own video then upload it to YouTube.

Megaupload is nothing like ThePirateBay, Wikileaks or any other website, they have nothing that could be considered ethics or a moral code. They have only one motto and that is cash, more cash, more cash now. He doesn't stand for anything, I've heard him speak, he doesn't talk about ideals or anything like that he speaks like his fucking lawyer wrote his speech for him.

I hope they find some way to fuck his fat ass at trial and he end up pennyless and someone's prison bitch. Fuck that guy seriously.

well anyone that F's with a company doing business( BRIBING THE CORRECT OFFICIALS) in the US will get found guilty I don't care if he did it or not.
The FBI will be TOLD what and how to frame them if its needed and they WILL get F'd

Look I don't doubt that Kim Dotcom is being 'singled out' and I doubt that he has actually broken the law. I however very much disapprove of is business and I'm an advocate for filesharing, I think its a positive part of our culture and whilst many may not share my viewpoint something that is actually very fair. But this guy is living in somebody else's mansion, living the high life from someone else's talent and hard work. Everyone knows what its all about, he's not fooling anyone.

He's a world apart from a someone that shares files, the two aren't even comparable. Plain and simply he's just a thief and I think its absolutely repulsive that he is able to hide behind the DMCA, a fair law that was needed to preserve the freedom of expression and growth of our new era of mass telecommunication, which is one of if not our most valuable resource. Whilst some peole may not like the DCMA because it does say no to pirating, it sets down the rules so that digital service providers can be protected if they comply. This allows them to invest in the neverending demand for infrastructure without fear of bankruptcy or jail if their service facilitates breach of copyright. However Mr. Dotcom is shitting on this by intentionally using the DCMA to circumvent copyright for his own massive personal gain.

People say 'its no different to Google'. Yes its a fuckload different than Google. Whilst Google certainly doesn't get a gold star from me for business ethics, unlike Mr Dotcom their first step in the concept for their business wasn't to consult a bunch of lawyers to really work out what they can and cannot do. When they coded their search engine it was about innovation and offering the world a tool that is revolutionary and useful. Mr Dotcom only thought about how can I use somebody else's stolen work and make a shitload of money from it.

So now these total greedy heartless wankers that are the MPAA/RIAA etc with a genuine reason to jump and shout and push through more draconian laws to protect who they represent. Because unlike the majority of piracy Megaupload can actually be measured in lost revenue, because countless people are willing to pay subscription fees for what is essentially their stolen merchandise. Don't try to tell me that Megaupload has a legitimate side to it, because I'm sure it does, I know I've downloaded a few genuine user-created things from MU. But I can guarantee you if you look at their paying users, I'm certain you will find that the overwhelming majority are only subscribed for piracy. Bigger files (aka video) and faster speeds is what you get for your subscription. Its very easy to make the connection that almost everyone who is only using it legitimately don't require such large download or speed, want to share your own video then upload it to YouTube.

Megaupload is nothing like ThePirateBay, Wikileaks or any other website, they have nothing that could be considered ethics or a moral code. They have only one motto and that is cash, more cash, more cash now. He doesn't stand for anything, I've heard him speak, he doesn't talk about ideals or anything like that he speaks like his fucking lawyer wrote his speech for him.

I hope they find some way to fuck his fat ass at trial and he end up pennyless and someone's prison bitch. Fuck that guy seriously.

Very good post.

1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

Look I don't doubt that Kim Dotcom is being 'singled out' and I doubt that he has actually broken the law.

[...]

So what you are saying is you think someone should go to prison for committing no crime. Interesting.

He didn't do anything wrong. Its just MPAA and RIAA wanted him to be shut down before his new business model for music started. They stopped the train before there was too much momentum to stop it. Its all about money. This has nothing to do with who did what wrong. This is a ploy to starve him of cash and run him out of business with legal fees and server costs. The old business model will eventually die. The MPAA and RIAA just postponed the inevitable though.

You started off claiming you were an advocate of file sharing, then wrote a novel saying the opposite. You used highly loaded language like "thief", "stolen", and you advocate illegal and violent rape as a punishment for operating a file sharing site.

You don't see any other point of view than the MPAA's/RIAA's stance. Ever consider that society would move on just fine without copyright? Or the very real possibility that idea monopoly itself could be wrong?

Sharing any and all information is a natural process that we've evolved to do. It's one of the biggest factors in our pulling ahead of every other species on the planet. Copyright could well be retarding our development as a species.

What your witnessing right now is the birthing pains of a new era. Copyright enforcement is the witch hunting of our age, but sooner or later people are going to wake up and realize that copyright has mostly outlived its usefulness.

Back