Australian Police to Go Wardriving

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Okay, we’ve all heard the term Internet Police…..well the police down under in Queensland, Australia are putting the term into action. I’m sure the residents have all breathed a collective sigh of relief and feel much safer now. :D

To critics of the operation, who may believe police could better spend their time seeking out drug dealers and outlaw bikers, Queensland Police Detective Superintendent Brian Hay said the issue was just as important as any other.

Now I'm not sure if Australia really has an biker gang problem or if that was a joke referencing Mad Max.

I can see why they are wanting to do this, but I would not feel comfortable with the police doing this. It's kinda like the police checking all your doors and windows to see it they are locked. And while they are there why not looking in and see if there is anything illegal going on. :rolleyes: Same with wireless, it's not hard to capture packets and look into what someone is doing on-line. Also If they are policing this, lawsuits from the Movie and Music industry could gain some ground. :(

I think it would be better money spent, to just send fliers or letters to all the residents of the city.

It goes both ways. If they want to see us, we can see them. It's not like wardrivers are hidden just because they are across the street spying on wifi.

I'll laugh if they stop by my joint and say "your wireless isn't secured". 'coz i'll say.. i know.. i want it that way! now go and spend you're time picking up the hoons instead of wasting my tax dollar on fuel!

Surely one can't complain too much that the Fraud Police are looking into ways which allow fraud to occur. From another angle, one needs to consider if this is because people are ringing in about someone stealing their wifi.

I dont know about the police going around and checking wifi security. At least here in the states traditionally it has been your legal right to be incompetent. And I bet that a vast majority of unsecured wifi is owned by people who took half a day to get it up and running because they are not computer people. Expecting those kinds of people to start any security program be it mac filtering, WPA keys or any other method is asking a bit much of the tech-under-educated.

Perfect opportunity to have a honeypot. They're practically coming to you waiting for you to counter-hack, lol. Yes, let's put police systems on insecure individually owned networks.

Hilarious that they made a cartoon character mascot called Fiscal the Fraud Fighting Ferret. :)

Back